Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 5 May 2004, 08:54
A/1/75

The Five Fingers

I think that was the name. Been years since I have read it, but I was blown away at the time by it.
Anyone read it lately? I need to dig it up and read it again.

Charlie
Old 5 May 2004, 09:19
Tactical Conductor

good book

I read it a while back. The cover is what stuck with me. Since reading the book I always refer to those type of team pictures as a Five Finger Photo. You know the type, team shot with guns & gear.

Invictus Infectus Non Invertabus Pu
Old 5 May 2004, 09:43
Confirmed User

Gayle Rivers is the authors name. I have one of his books and started awhile back. I'll read it someday. search Gayle Rivers on here there are a few posts. Currently I am reading Top Secret war about the selous scouts great read.

Krader
Old 5 May 2004, 10:02
Going back

I thought Gayle Rivers' bio (and therefore his books) was BS.

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 5 May 2004, 15:13
Metric: The Only Way To Go.

Yeah this has been hashed out a few times here.

However, since it relates to my neck of the woods, I don't mind a fresh discussion personally.
"He also had back up time to time from friends TC and Rick. Magnum would solve the case, then Rick and TC would help him kick the crap out of the criminals. Sometimes Selleck would get a little whiney, and those shorts were a little too short. Other than that, it was a great show."

-IMDB Comment on Magnum, PI.
Old 5 May 2004, 15:39
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

There are people who will believe these types of books. Personally, I say good. Stupid people are easier to step over....
Old 5 May 2004, 15:44
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally posted by Doogie320
I thought Gayle Rivers' bio (and therefore his books) was BS.
I think this goes hand in glove with linking an actors political views to his or her performance. I've always been under the impression that The Five Fingers was fiction; therefore, why does it matter if the author is a HSLD type or one-armed chainsaw juggler as long as the reader is entertained by the book?

I know he claims to have been SAS and that it's a true op but if no one believes it and it's a good story, what difference does it make? I'm probably missing the point of why it matters so explain it to me.
Old 5 May 2004, 15:55

Edited everything out when I realized nothing I wrote could be possibly understood by my intended audience.

Last edited by SOTB; 5 May 2004 at 17:00.
Old 5 May 2004, 16:25
Tactical Conductor

Quote:
Originally posted by C-M-R
I think this goes hand in glove with linking an actors political views to his or her performance.
Are you talking about the folks that 250 years ago would have been on stage with a dancing bear?

Old 5 May 2004, 16:46
Going back

Quote:
I know he claims to have been SAS and that it's a true op but if no one believes it and it's a good story, what difference does it make? I'm probably missing the point of why it matters so explain it to me.
For me, the problem is that he uses his "background" as a basis for the stories. They may be marketed as fiction, but by saying that he is a former SAS trooper or whatever, he will automatically have some support for his books, fiction or not.

If Jefferson and the boys were claiming to be Rangers when they set up our fine little country, I wouldn't buy that either.

Fiction or not, credibility is everything. I have the knowledge to pose as an SF soldier, but will not do it. I have too much pride in myself and the men that I served with to do that. I am who I am, good, bad, and otherwise.

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 5 May 2004, 16:56

Edited for the reasons stated above.

Last edited by SOTB; 5 May 2004 at 17:01.
Old 5 May 2004, 19:57
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally posted by Doogie320
For me, the problem is that he uses his "background" as a basis for the stories. They may be marketed as fiction, but by saying that he is a former SAS trooper or whatever, he will automatically have some support for his books, fiction or not.
Do you mean because the SOF community has tendency to get behind one of their own so by posing as SAS the fella ups the sales of his book? I can agree with that position.

I can also understand being so disgusted by a person pretending to be something he's not that you'd rather read the back of a Hamburger Helper box than spend one thin dime on his stupid freaking book on the outside chance that 2 cents of it would go in his pocket.

Sabre07 - I was unaware you didn't like bears. Is this a lifelong thing or something new.
Old 5 May 2004, 20:13
Going back

Quote:
Do you mean because the SOF community has tendency to get behind one of their own so by posing as SAS the fella ups the sales of his book? I can agree with that position.

I can also understand being so disgusted by a person pretending to be something he's not that you'd rather read the back of a Hamburger Helper box than spend one thin dime on his stupid freaking book on the outside chance that 2 cents of it would go in his pocket.
Not so much the SOF community as the wannabes and clowns out there that think that he is SOF, therefore the book is accurate. It wouldn't matter to me if he was writing about SOF or ice cream or hydroponics, fiction or nonfiction, he is selling material using a fradulent background. The fact that he is writing about a subject where his "experience" is some of the basis for the book is insulting to everyone that ever wore a uniform.

Old 5 May 2004, 21:04
Scotty's Mommy

Personally, I think assclowns and wanna-be deserve what they get for gobbling up books written by people who do things they will never do for whatever reason. If they get burned by a fake it serves them right. their slogan might be "read all you can't be"

One of the best lessons taught to me was that anyone can get published. It's up to the reader to find out who the author is and what the background on the person. The blurbs on book covers are there to sell books. Check who is saying them and why. Is the publisher owned by the same newspaper or television station that is giving glowing reviews?

If the National Inquirer says "A got to read book." It's a safe bet I'll buy it for my younger sister. Peter Schoomaker says it's a must read I'll buy it for my husband, a couple of friends etc. Sometimes I check for other books by the same author to see what else he's written and who was given him high marks on it.

And if Oprah says buy it, I'm in line, Babe twice! ROFLMAO!!
Old 5 May 2004, 22:04
A/1/75

I just thought it was entertaining, not that it was real. I know nothing of it's author.
I think I was 15 when I first read it so I was a wannabe then.

Charlie
Old 5 May 2004, 22:42
Tactical Conductor

Quote:

Sabre07 - I was unaware you didn't like bears. Is this a lifelong thing or something new.
It ain't so much regular bears...it is the dancing ones. The way they dress them up with the Elizabethian collars...eesh. Gives me the heebee-jeebees. Clowns are spooky too, at times.

Old 6 May 2004, 02:34

Its not so much the Five Fingers book, but The Professional book which causes the trouble.
"He also had back up time to time from friends TC and Rick. Magnum would solve the case, then Rick and TC would help him kick the crap out of the criminals. Sometimes Selleck would get a little whiney, and those shorts were a little too short. Other than that, it was a great show."

Old 6 May 2004, 02:58
Scotty's Mommy

Quote:
Originally posted by RangerCharlie
I just thought it was entertaining, not that it was real. I know nothing of it's author.
I think I was 15 when I first read it so I was a wannabe then.
I read it right it when I first got to Fayetteville, NC and was trying to fit in around here. That's about the time I started on the Mack Bolan books too. Prior to that Taylor Caldwell was more my speed.

I never read The Professional Book. Fake or not, is it any good?

Sabre07 - That show When Animals Attack kind of put me off dancing bears. Although, the attacks are more than likely payback for the collars and tutus. They had really vicious deer on one time. Hunters should use the footage as defense against people who call deer hunting unfair.
Old 6 May 2004, 03:05

Yep, good read. Outlandish, Bond type stuff in it, but cool nonetheless.

"I was driving along Lake Geneva in my Porsche, speeding as always. Traffic police don't give me any problems. They know who I am."

Stuff like that :D

Old 6 May 2004, 08:28
A/1/75

I was up to #200+ with Mack Bolan books...they made money off of me.

Charlie

Our new posting rules