Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Old 22 November 1999, 21:20
pimp065
Visitor

color blindness

i have mild color blindness so will that affect me in anyway of being able to join the SEALS, because i've always wanted to be one.
Old 23 November 1999, 01:29
Rigger
Visitor

I have the same problem, I'm not a SEAL but I'm pretty sure colorblindness is disqualifying. That includes mild brown-red and mild yellow-blue colorblindness. But I think if you can pass the red and green light test (I don't know what it's called) you can join the army rangers or special forces.
Old 23 November 1999, 09:59
Jack Ryan
Visitor

Been there, done that. The answer is no! You cannot get into the Seals or into any combat arms units within the Army being color-blind. Whether it be mild or severe it doesn't matter. With the military there is no degree of color-blindness. It's kind of like being pragnant, either you are or you aren't. There is no in between. While in college I had an Army ROTC scholarship with the Army knowing I was mildly color-blind. They also knew all I wanted to do was to become a Ranger. When it came down to pick my top choices they told me I could not have any combat arms units along with a lot of other field that were not available to me. Your choices are very limited. Please don't set your self up for a fall. It's no fun. Also, please don't take this as someone who is trying to crush your dreams. Take this as a person who has been there. Now with all this said there is some hope if you want to get into the military and do some high speed infantry stuff. It's called the Marine Corps. They are the only service that will let you service in a combat arms unit being that you are color-blind. From my experience and from the research that I have done I can honestly say the Marine Corps should have been my first pick from the very start. Don't take this as a hit on the Rangers or Seals, we both know they are great units. If you have any question feel free to email me. I hope I haven't busted your bubbles to much and I by no means want to discourage you from trying to reach your goals. But if you want to do some high speed stuff I would seriously consider looking into the Marine Corps. Again feel free to email me if you have any questions.
Old 23 November 1999, 20:08
Rigger
Visitor

The Marine Corps is more lax when it comes to colorblindness. During my last jump physical the flight surgeon told me that my mild colorblindness would have disqualified me for airborne through the army but not the marines.
Old 24 November 1999, 00:26
Genuine Polymath

Rigger:

The red/green/white light test you're thinking of is called the Farnsworth Lantern Test (aka FALANT). It doesn't test your ability to distinguish blues or yellows at all, just red-green (which is about 90% of your color perception anyway). Some blue-yellow deficiency is still good-to-go, but the real strength in this test is that it's the only color perception test that's totally cheat-proof.
Old 24 November 1999, 09:42
Jack Ryan
Visitor

Salter,

You are dead on. The Falant test is definitely a cheat proof test. I am mildly colorblind and just took my physical at MEPS about two months ago. Some how I passed the regular colorblind test (the circle with all the dots). When I got to the FALANT test I pretty much got blown out of the water. I think I only got two right. Luckly I was told this would not effect me as far as my commission with the Corp. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the FALANT test is only a disqualifier if someone is trying to obtain a aviation slot.

Jack Ryan
Old 25 November 1999, 02:28
RKW
Visitor

Just how is it cheat proof? I don't doubt it is cheat proof, but how can someone pass the first test and not the second? How are they different?
Old 25 November 1999, 04:47
Rigger
Visitor

It's cheat proof because unlike the number dot test you can't get a copy of the book and memorize it. In the light test, the tester randomly chooses the order of the lights shown to you, and you just tell him what you see. The second test is the same test but in different order.
You might be able to pass these tests with lenses that are supposed to help you see color better. They only sell lenses for glasses now but they're developing contacted lenses. I've never tried them so I don't know how well they work . Their site is at www.color-vision.com

Our new posting rules