SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 17 January 2006, 20:34
Confirmed User

PSYOP BTDT's

Gentlemen,

My unit will be deploying this spring and I had a couple of questions:

Is there any equipment (mission related or for recreation) that you needed while you were over there that was not issued?

What type of missions did you perform the most?

Finally, what is your opinion on how well your teams were received by not only your supported unit but the Iraqi people as well?

I would ask these questions to the guys from my unit who have been downrange before, but they got back approximately 15 months ago so I figure some of their information is dated. Thank you in advance. theBilldoman.
Old 17 January 2006, 22:45
One jump chump

It's been a while since I got back but I'll address the Supported unit issue.
Keep in mind I usually blather on about this for hours at a time with my students (ask around the community).
You must fully integrate into that command. Be it Company, Battalion or other. You must know your job inside and out and make that Commander confident in your abilities to plan, execute and assess PSYOP in support of his mission. It is also imperative that the Commander gains an appreciation of what you have to offer... Not 3 bodies and a bunch of equipment. He can get that anywhere. You must bring complete Tactical and Technical proficiency in your specialty. But the fun doesn't stop there.... You also better have at least a rudimentary understanding of the supported units doctrine and TTP's. If you show up and cannot shoot, move and communicate with that unit... Well I hope you take a bunch of DVD's.

All that is the easy stuff.... Now start thinking about the MDMP and where YOU fit into that process (see appropriate FM). Be proactive. Johnny on the spot when it comes to planning and answering PSYOP related questions. Think CONTINGENCY!! Everyone else does.

Bottom line. If you show up with nothing to offer but long hair and attitude be prepared to get shoved into a corner making coffee.

If you show up and function as designed and work your ass off supporting his intent you will feel like one of the gang.

Good luck with the POTF.

I'm sure some of the bretheren will be along shortly with some more insight.

“An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.”
Old 18 January 2006, 08:35
Authorized Personnel

+1 on what jtorak said about integration with the supported unit. You only get one chance to make a good impression, and that initial Cap brief et all will make or break you when it comes to your time with the supported unit.
Old 18 January 2006, 14:53
SOCNET Moderator

oh boy. {cracks knuckles in preparation}

You need to link up with the supported unit BEFORE DEPLOYMENT.

Get some face time now. Meet with the CO, XO, and S-3 and get that Capes brief done. Chances are they have worked with PSYOP before, hopefully they had a good experience. Most likely, your capes brief will be done for the XO and the 3. They are the planners and taskers, and your link to the CO. If you can't get face time with them you are dead in the water. It may be the CO's unit, but those are the two who run it for him.

Do not forget to meet and sit down with the CSM. You are an NCO in a slice element. He is the senior NCO in the supported unit. He gets his own meeting with you, and he gets it right after you meet the Battle staff. He will either positively or negatively impact your quality of life on HIS camp. He also gets regular face time with you during the course of the deployment. Lunch or Dinner is usually some good face time during the deployment.

Find out if they are doing a JRTC rotation or similar train up and GO. Take the whole TPT/TPD and get to working with these folks. Get them used to having you in their planning cycle and daily sitbriefs/shiftchange brief at the TOC, and Commanders BUB. Get their subordinate units used to working with you and having your asset available to them.

Understand the difference between PAO, IO, and PSYOP. It is likely that a conventional unit doesn't. When integrating, focus on what you ARE, don't spend time focusing on what you are NOT.

That being said, some tasks outside your lane are just going to happen. Take them. Everybody will be doing a little bit of everything anways. It shows that you are a member of their team, and it is THEIR team.

Don't get wrapped up in the whole active/passive collector debate. If you develop something, pass it on. If you have a relationship that can be fruitful, use it (wisely). This is one of those areas where doctrine and practice don't align. Don't allow your teams to be abused in this area, but once again it goes back to the teamwork aspect. This one area can make you an invaluable asset to your supported unit.

I can not overstate the need to be technically and TACTICALLY proficient. If the supported unit sees you as a tactical liability, you will never get outside the wire. Conversely, if you and your troops know their shit in the field, people will be lining up to go out with you.

Let your performance speak for you.

Get the SOP's, IAD's, and TTP's for the supported unit. Learn and follow them. There may be certain equipment differences, but if there is no significant loss in re-arranging your TA-50 to meet their SOP, do it. It shows the CSM that you are not trying to be a bad influence on his troops, and that you are trying to integrate with THEM. (Remember it is THEIR team, ball, yard) When the time comes that you need some flexibility regarding something, the CSM will be more likely to give it some reasonable consideration since you have not tried to buck him on other little things.

Look and act like SOLDIERS. If the METT-TC call for substandard grooming, so be it. If you are attached to a straight-leg Infantry Division, show up wearing high-and-tights. First impressions are made the second they first look at you, remember, "Perception is reality".

Most things you will need/want are already there, or can be bought there. Go and see first, then decide what you may want to add. The guys who you are replacing may already have a tv/game system, boombox, whathaveyou that they are willing to leave in place for a small price.

Don't come in with a preconceived notion of what you are going to do. Find that out from the guys who have already been doing it in that neighborhood. You can tweak it to your needs/desires later. No need to be re-inventing any wheels.

You should already be talking with the folks you will be replacing. If possible, get access to a SIPR connection so you can get their daily SITREPS.

PM me with the unit you will be supporting and I will do some digging to find out what PSYOP unit supported them in the past and how the relationship worked out. You will also want to know a little about the key communicators and personalities in that unit. Most major maneuver units have a home page, usually linked to their home installation's website. Start surfing.

That's enough to get you started for now. More when I think of it. Keep asking questions. Don't automatically discount the info available to you in your own unit. It may be 18 months old, but some things will still apply.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble

Last edited by TPD1280; 22 January 2007 at 23:00.
Old 18 January 2006, 15:10
SOCNET Moderator

okay, more:

Reception by supported units has been good to very good overall. It deplends on the attitude of the slice (you).

PSYOP units that ran around trying to be their own show obviously ran into difficulties.

Members of the Regimental staff (2ACR) thought we were AD. They were shocked that we were USAR. Twice the Detachment was named the "Top Scouts" for the entire Regiment. At least 3 times, TPT's were so named by their respective Squadrons. When we left, our TPD Commander's name was added to the Regimental Register (they called it Dragooning). All of us were given Regimental coins and Combat Spurs (old Cav tradition).

As for missions: Face to Face. Lots of it. Big groups, small groups, one-on-one. Public markets, meetings with Tribal Sheiks, meetings with neighborhood councils, conversations while sitting in tea rooms. Make the key communicators your focus. Their word (your message) will be more readily accepted.

As for the Iraqi people, TALK TO YOUR VETS. Start reading everything you can get your hands on that will educate you about the region, the history, and the religion. These are the keys to understanding the people. Your reception will vary depending on where in the country you find yourself. Obviously Fallujah and Ramadi are less friendly than most.

You will find that most Iraqi's, if they are not inclined to shoot you in the face, will not be unpleasant to your face. It's a cultural thing. They will lie. Accept that. To them, lying to keep the peace and be hospitable to a guest is not a sin. Being inhospitable is a sin. Bottom line, be VERY CAREFUL, and trust no one. Play your cards very close to your chest, and always vary your routes and routines. The guy who is being nice to you may also be passing on information to people who will not be nice to you.

If you have a LNCI (Local National Civilian Interpreter), pick him up each morning away from your camp. Vary the pick up point. Don't let him know until you are dropping him off for the day where you will meet him tomorrow. You will have to have some faith in him, but don't be stupid. He has to stay there, you don't. His family is a target because he works with us. His allegiances are ALWAYS in question. His loyalty will always be more inclined towards his people and his tribe than they are to you. Fact of life.

Old 18 January 2006, 20:20
Amateur Barbarian

Now that is some good advice! If there was a PSYOP forum, I would definitely recommend that be stickied at the top.
Old 18 January 2006, 22:56
DOL

Well you have done, young Jedi.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 18 January 2006, 22:58
Confirmed User

Thanks for that information, it is awesome...if anybody else will add to it I am all ears.
Old 19 January 2006, 06:17
One jump chump

Once again 1280 your eloquence and experience continue to impress. Too bad you retired cause I have a job for you... We're looking for another instructor (ANCOC) as we continue to grow down here. Pickings seem to be slim... So when you coming back AD?

Old 19 January 2006, 11:05
SOCNET Moderator

Reactivation is still in the list of potential actions on the objective, but it is a couple of contingencies down the ladder.

With a mind towards keeping options open, there are certain things I have not let go to seed.

The mind is sharp, it's the knees that are shot. :D

Old 19 January 2006, 11:19
One jump chump

Just tape them knees up..... Good as new.

Old 19 January 2006, 12:49
SOCNET Moderator

I LOVE MOTRIN!!!!!!

and am a big proponent of "suck it up".

Old 20 January 2006, 16:04
Confirmed Paratrooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPD1280
I LOVE MOTRIN!!!!!!

and am a big proponent of "suck it up".
No pain no gain, Hooah?

This is an awesome post, will definitely re-read when deployment time comes.
  • Competent Special Operations Forces cannot be created after emergencies occur.
Secure the Victory
Old 25 January 2008, 22:58

See how lucky I was to deploy with that man (TPD1280). He sure taught this young Jedi a lot about the force. Be strong and listen to the veterans about their experiences and then try to apply it as much as possible

Our new posting rules