Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 5 February 2006, 23:24
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

FOBUS holster problem....

Hello guys,

I am looking for expereinced guys to comment on the FOBUS paddle holster -- especially those who have experience with these holsters and the Baretta M9.

I have a FOBUS for this gun, and it appears to be Model BR=2.

As it stands TODAY -- I think it might be the most unsafe and dangerous holster I have ever seen.

It simply will not allow you to draw your weapn from the holster. Myself, my buddy (retired SF dude who has done a bunch of cool-guy shooting schools, including with me), and a former CAG dude have tried wearing this holster. None of us can get the gun out of the holster. We've followed the instructions as to making a rapid pull, etc. -- but no dice. Its in there as if it was in a vice. I sincerely believe that if this is common, there MUST be dead people out there who could not get their guns out. The only way we can remove the gun is to pry open the holster with the non-shooting hand while drawing the weapon.

Before I write FOBUS a nasty-gram and research as to whether there ought to be a class-action lawsuit brought against them for this, PLEASE, some of you guys out there tell me that my holster is an anomoly. We had hoped to test this against 3 other same-model holsters, but they dissappeared in-transit to Bagram (uncommon story as well, right?).

Comments?
Old 5 February 2006, 23:40
Retired Jarhead

From Fobus webpage

SOTB,
You probably already have this but just in case.

#1 FAQ:
The holster won't release my gun, it's way too tight?

1. The holster must be mounted on your belt, not in your hands, with the weapon unloaded you must draw the weapon straight out of the holster along the line of cant, your draw must be a quick pull without hesitation or stopping during the draw to overcome the passive retention system of Fobus holsters. You should practice this draw 25-50 times.

2. If the draw is still difficult you can lubricate the inside of the holster, especially the trigger guard area. Use light gun oil, silicone spray or armor all.

3. Spread trigger guard apart with thumbs to loosen.

4. If it's still too tight contact fobus to return it.

Link here but it's a PDF:

https://secure.fobusholster.com/upda...6287c485e32797

I have another holster for the M-9 that requires me to give it a slight twist to draw from holster, have you tried that?

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. There is no middle ground.
Old 6 February 2006, 00:05
Making sure They Come Home

All my neighbor carries is Fobus.

So, I bought one for my wife's Sig229 yesterday...I could unholster it fine...she tried and it tore her Calvin Kleins. She never did get it to release.

It is up for sale in the cache on ps.com.

The LAST thing we purchased a handgun and rig for, was to have her not be able to present her handgun in a timely manner.

Sticking with leather-she has a Kramer MSP coming

PA
Old 6 February 2006, 00:49
Confirmed User

I currently use a FOBUS for a G19 almost every day and on a rare occassion with a G22 without any problem.

I also have a 92F with FOBUS that I haven't gotten a lot of use out of, but it seems to have the same draw stroke as the Glocks.
Old 6 February 2006, 02:25
Probationary User

SOTB,
have a FOBUS for both my SigPro and SA XD-40. Both were a little snug at first, but they break in with use.
Old 6 February 2006, 04:28
Administrator

I have two. No problems so far.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 6 February 2006, 05:00

Thanks for the replies, guys. Seriously.

So far, all of our following of the instructions has only led to burrs or cuts in the bottom of the retention area -- which I believe will only make it MORE difficult to draw the weapon out. As in NOW there is a slight ridge the trigger-guard must pass as it is being drawn out of the holster (versus before, it was a completely rounded surface).

OK, so I won't tell them they are the scum of the earth -- and I appreciate you guys giving me your experiences. But I am pretty damned sure I won't be purchasing another one -- at least not if the weapon cannot be successfuly drawn from the holster while at the gunstore....
Old 6 February 2006, 05:36
Authorized Personnel

fobus paddle holster...

I have a video of a gun grab where the fobus holster breaks apart. I can e-mail it to you if you want a copy.

"Break squelch and die."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 6 February 2006, 08:31
Karma - it comes around

Used one in Baghdad for about six months. Keep in mind it was only for use around the CJSOTF compound. I never wore it outside, as it was a belt paddle and I kept my pistol on my armor. As far as ability to draw the Baretta from the Fobus, never had any issues. If the thing is too tight, just spread it apart a smidgen... Try lube, too, like finboy said. He knows all about lube.
Old 6 February 2006, 09:57
Retired Jarhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75
Try lube, too, like finboy said. He knows all about lube.
You must have me confused with a Ranger....:D

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. There is no middle ground.
Old 6 February 2006, 10:08
"Mierda!"

Thumbs up Try this...

Not too many people can figure out it's a holster.

Stay safe.

Zip Slide Holster

Wear it with a good belt and never take it off, helps out when you have to transition to concealment carry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 6 February 2006, 12:01
Confirmed User

Some Fobus info.

Holsters recalled because strap cause gun to fire accidentally
WASHINGTON (AP) A Pennsylvania company is recalling about 3,200 gun holsters because the strap can catch the trigger and cause the weapon to fire accidentally. Eight incidents of accidental firing have been reported, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Wednesday.
The Fobus USA Holster Division of First Samco, of Southampton, Pa., is recalling its Fobus GLT holsters, designed for Series 17 and Series 19 Glock handguns fitted with a laser-sight light. There have been eight reports of guns discharging as they were inserted into the holster. One person injured a finger.

The recall, in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, involves about 3,200 units with leather or plastic retention straps less than an inch wide. The holsters are inscribed with "GL 2*EMZ," "FOBUS" and "Made in Israel." They were sold at gun accessory retailers nationwide and on the Fobus Web site between March 2002 and March 2003 for about $40 to $45.

The holsters have since been redesigned with wider straps and a plastic tip that is too wide to be caught in the trigger guard.

Consumers should stop using the holsters immediately and bring them to a Fobus USA distributor for a free replacement holster or contact First Samco for instructions on how to return product for a replacement. Consumers can also send the recalled holster to Fobus USA in Southampton, and will be reimbursed for return shipping.

For more information consumers can call 866-508-3997 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday.
Old 6 February 2006, 12:54
Confirmed User

I bought one for my G-32 and hate it. It's a belt vesrion, not the paddle. I have an Uncle Mike's Kydex that I'm very happy with.
Old 6 February 2006, 19:02

I've seen the video Gackman is talking about on the NTOA website. I can't say i'm a fan after seeing how badly it performed in that gun grab. I use to use them for ccw with a 1911 and a Beretta 96, but i had to pry the crap out of them to get them to draw them smoothly. Uncle Mike's makes Kydex holsters for the same amount of $ or cheaper and they're alot more solid. Now I use a CQC Serpa with my Kimber both on and off duty. BladeTech also make great holsters.
Old 6 February 2006, 23:27
Confirmed User

I've never liked the Fobus, but I think it's a love/hate type of thing with that holster. I do like the mag/light pouches, but think that the design of the holster is too low and too far out on the hip to conceal well.

A lot of people confuse Kydex with any black plastic rig on the market. I prefer the Blade Techs and have several for each of my Sig's.

I'll be at the SHOT Show this week and will ask at the Fobus booth (if attending) about holster issues and post the response.

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."

1930's Soviet Army Manual
Old 6 February 2006, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMGCat
I'll be at the SHOT Show this week and will ask at the Fobus booth (if attending) about holster issues and post the response.
Hey, that's downright cool of you. Thanks!
Old 8 February 2006, 13:06

Is there a Roto Fobus for CZ P-01?
Old 8 February 2006, 16:40
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy
Not too many people can figure out it's a holster.

Stay safe.

Zip Slide Holster

Wear it with a good belt and never take it off, helps out when you have to transition to concealment carry.
Very cool. I just ordered one to try.

Exceptional Hatred For Injustice
Old 8 February 2006, 20:17
Mod

The problem with the holster is that it's a Fobus. There are worse holsters out there, but I am not a fan at all. The ones I've seen haven't impressed me enough to want one. And for being an "Israeli holster", I can't remember seeing one over there. I will admit that I haven't played with one in more than a year; things may have changed.
Old 8 February 2006, 20:54
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Not real fond of the way they print if you want to use for conceal carry, and they are made pretty thin so if you use them reguarly be prepared to purchase replacements for the rivets pop right through the rivet holes.
Personally for conceal carry I like the Galco "concealable" models. I have used my different versions of this holster for years and thousands upon thousands of draws and never have problems with them and they hug the body perfectly. SOTB, I was wearing one when you came to my range in Texas and I bet you didnt even notice! lol

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX

Our new posting rules