SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Closed Thread

Old 29 March 2006, 15:48
Probationary User

Questions about 37F active duty females

Hi. I'm trying to answer some additional questions I have on the designation 37F so I'm just going to go ahead and throw my questions out there for anyone who has some spare time and something they want to share.

From what I have been able to learn so far, I understand much of 37F AIT is language/combat/airborne training. I had also heard something about SERE training. Do Active duty female 37F participate in all these training excercises, SERE included?

Most of my other questions just have to do with real world experience anyone might have had with a female 37F. What sort of missions are they sent on. Are they the same type of missions male 37F are sent on? Do the women seem to enjoy their jobs?

My questions are gender specific because up until now I have talked to only 37F male active duty soldiers although the MOS is open to women as well. They seem to be a rare breed and hard to find out about! The job sounds great I'm just hoping there isnt a down side for me. :)

Thank you to anyone with any sort of info to give.
Old 29 March 2006, 16:49
SOCNET Moderator

If I read your profile correctly, you have already signed up and are "waiting for basic to start", yes? If that is the case, all of your questions will be answered for you in short order.

For starters, read everything you can on this site about PSYOP. Go to the search function and type in PSYOP and you will find enough to keep you busy for a while. If you have specific questions after that, go ahead and ask.

Much of what you will find here is aimed at the Tactical side of the house. That is a door that is not open to females. I will not discuss the rightness/wrongness of that decision, that is the way it is, period.

That does not mean that you will be relegated to secretarial duties. It just means that you will not be running a loudspeaker doing direct surrender appeals while people are shooting at you.

Those are the slots that get first dibs on SERE when they come available. Folks who work in the JPOTF don't usually need SERE.

You will learn a lot about the process, not just the application.

You will find yourself using your brain quite a bit. You will also find yourself in a motorpool PMCS'ing vehicles and equipment just like everybody else. You will spend a great amount of your first years in the field learning. PSYOP is a craft, and you will be a young apprentice. Wax on, wax off. Not everything will make sense to you. Tough shit. You will spend a lot of time making copies before you ever start briefing Generals or providing input in the decision making process.

All that being what it is, females have found themselves outside the wire in places like Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq. Though their purpose was not specifically to engage in combat operations against they enemy, they did whatever had to be done at the time.

jtorak28 will no doubt be along and can speak to exactly what is going on in greater 4th POG at this very moment.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble
Old 29 March 2006, 17:06
Authorized Personnel

Just for clarification purposes:

Your profile states you're interested in Intel. Psyops and CA, tho they perform somewhat similar functions, are not Intel. I can't speak for the agencies, but generally when they look for Intel experience, they're looking for analysis experience. Just to clarify between your chosen job and your supposed interests.

That said:

I wish you the best of luck and thank you for joining up.
Old 29 March 2006, 17:26
Pre-Chill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogofWar
Blah Blah Blah.
So are you hot?
Old 29 March 2006, 17:51
SOCNET Moderator

thanks, now I have to clean my monitor :D

Old 30 March 2006, 03:37
Probationary User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPD1280
If I read your profile correctly, you have already signed up and are "waiting for basic to start", yes? If that is the case, all of your questions will be answered for you in short order.

For starters, read everything you can on this site about PSYOP. Go to the search function and type in PSYOP and you will find enough to keep you busy for a while. If you have specific questions after that, go ahead and ask.

Much of what you will find here is aimed at the Tactical side of the house. That is a door that is not open to females. I will not discuss the rightness/wrongness of that decision, that is the way it is, period.

That does not mean that you will be relegated to secretarial duties. It just means that you will not be running a loudspeaker doing direct surrender appeals while people are shooting at you.

Those are the slots that get first dibs on SERE when they come available. Folks who work in the JPOTF don't usually need SERE.

You will learn a lot about the process, not just the application.

You will find yourself using your brain quite a bit. You will also find yourself in a motorpool PMCS'ing vehicles and equipment just like everybody else. You will spend a great amount of your first years in the field learning. PSYOP is a craft, and you will be a young apprentice. Wax on, wax off. Not everything will make sense to you. Tough shit. You will spend a lot of time making copies before you ever start briefing Generals or providing input in the decision making process.

All that being what it is, females have found themselves outside the wire in places like Bosnia, Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq. Though their purpose was not specifically to engage in combat operations against they enemy, they did whatever had to be done at the time.

jtorak28 will no doubt be along and can speak to exactly what is going on in greater 4th POG at this very moment.
Thanks. This helps me and I appreciate the input. I started digging into this forums numerous Psyops threads earlier and after about 9 or 10 Reserve-specific topics I decided asking my own specific questions might be beneficial.

No, I havent signed a contract yet. I know I want to go into Active Duty Army and thats about all I know. I've talked to recruiters about my options and they have told me what they can. They have encouraged me to further explore every avenue available and so here I am.

So if I read your post correctly you are saying SERE is an option open to females but not one that makes alot of sense for them to take or one that becomes available to them often? Also, I'm working on the acronyms and having fun creating my own ( :D )but help me with this one. What is JPOTF?

Once again, any info I can get is greatly appreciated so thanks to everyone for the time taken to reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godfather
So are you hot?
Haha!

That depends. Are you important?

Old 30 March 2006, 06:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Haha!

HAHAHA.:D
That is the all time best response from a new chick.

So...

Rat's been wonderring, are you hot?
Old 30 March 2006, 09:14
Amateur Barbarian

JPOTF= Joint PSYOP Task Force
Note the lack of an s after PSYOP. Other unacceptable spellings include psy-ops, psych ops, psiops, pretty much anything that isnt PSYOP. There are courses available that you may find are more inline with your role once you have done the following:

sign on the dotted line
complete basic, AIT and jump school
report to your unit and be an outstanding troop, one worthy of being given a slot to a highly sought after training course

There are already courses you need to go to once you arrive, like drivers training, combat lifesaver, maybe NBC or field sanitation, stuff the unit needs you to be trained in so you can do your part. Not sexy, but necessary none the less.
Old 30 March 2006, 10:23
Probationary User

Heh!

Gotcha. No more adding S's on where they do no belong. P-S-Y-O-P. :D

But signing on the dotted line is a big no no until I know what to expect. See this is good I am getting somewhere.

37F is a 12 month AIT which entails the following:

airborne training - mandatory
language school - mandatory
SERE - optional
drivers training - mandatory (?)
combat lifesaver - mandatory (?)
NBC or field sanitation - unknown

And there are two sides to 37F, correct? PSYOP the tactical and JTOPF the support?

Hmmm.
Old 30 March 2006, 10:24
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DY
HAHAHA.:D
That is the all time best response from a new chick.

So...

Rat's been wonderring, are you hot?
Can't be. Here's her interests:

Quote:
Interests:
Army, Languages, Army, Hiking, and Army
Old 30 March 2006, 10:26
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Heh!

Gotcha. No more adding S's on where they do no belong. P-S-Y-O-P. :D

But signing on the dotted line is a big no no until I know what to expect.
If you want to serve, ruck up and serve. Yeah it's good to know what to expect, but there's no way of knowing what to expect. Get your head right and sign on the line.

Oh, and "stop waisting [sic] time as a civilian." Get out there and do something.

[QUOTE]
Old 30 March 2006, 10:45
Confirmed User

Hi DoW,

As a former Army veterinary technician, I always try to help out dogs...

That being said, I did my time in the Army in the 80's when women had little to no chance of ending up outside the wire. I didn't work where I expected to work and I got the opportunity to live in the South and in Europe. I learned many things and have absolutely no regrets for my choices. I took my opportunities when they were presented to me and sometimes didn't have all the information I really wanted beforehand, but went ahead anyway.

Glad to have you on board, us wimmenz are definitely in the minority here.

LL
Old 30 March 2006, 10:53
SOCNET Moderator

You are not being treated the same because of your gender. I happen to think that is bullshit. No I'm not talking about the are you hot question.

Young men have come in here asking all sorts of questions. When given the answers, the smart ones learn. The dumb ones continue to focus on things that are way beyond where their focus should be. Ask about blowing things up in 18C school and they will be told that a SF Engineering Sergeant does much more than blow shit up, that's just one small part. They will also immediately be told to focus on BCT and getting through SFAS. If they continue pressing on the non sequitur questions the answers come in hot, fast and unpleasant.

I'm going to word this carefully, because I am grumpy as hell this morning, and when I read your second post I got even grumpier.

You want to live in our world, here's a taste of it:

You do what needs to be done, you do your part and STFU about the glamour schools. The necessary training comes first. DROB mentioned that in his post.

IF you choose PSYOP, as you mature in the career field you will find that an awful lot of the "Reserve stuff" applies without regard to which Group one finds ones self assigned. The Reserve side of the house does not have a different job than the Active side of the house. The focus is different, the job is the same. Oh, and there are AD soldiers assigned to USAR PSYOP.

If you ask anyone who knows anything about PSYOP, they will tell you that all three POG's are necessary to accomplish the mission, 4th POG cannot stand alone. That's why when we went into Baghdad in 2003, C/9/4 was accompanied by a bunch of "just Reserves", myself included.

The sooner you get that lesson learned the sooner you will become a full spectrum PSYOP soldier. Or you can ignore it and be a one-trick pony with insufficient manpower, no sustainment option, and no ability to refit and prepare for the next contingency.

A PSYOPer has to be ready to do ANY of the MOS tasks at any time. That includes dissemination, product development, production, target audience analysis, in addition to basic soldier skills and troop leadership procedures.

You come in here asking about SERE before even considering the 2-3 years of training and service and deployment to a combat theater that is inevitable BEFORE you ever get any highspeed schools like SERE.

Top that off with the fact that you will NOT be assigned to a tactical dissemination team supporting a SOF unit. Your NEED for SERE is fucking non-existant.

You want a guarantee to get SERE as a female, become a helicopter pilot.

You want to know about PSYOP, there are several hundred years of combined experience in this room.

Don't ask about SERE again, your question has been answered.

AFTERTHOUGHT: Now, if that little redirection hurt your feelings and got your panties in a wad, find another career field. Oh and if you think that hurt your feelings, fuck SERE.

Last edited by TPD1280; 30 March 2006 at 11:04.
Old 30 March 2006, 11:15
Whatever Sucks the Most

I recommend that you say "thank you very much," and then, as my brother Match says, have the best day ever.
Old 30 March 2006, 11:28
Pre-Chill

Quote:
Haha!

If your hot then I am VERY important, but the point of this tread is for you to learn something. IE the high speed low drag "sexy" part of the job seems to be a small part, and it also seems to be all you are interested in. That said I think you would make a shitty Troop and should either rap your head around the fact that when you serve, that what's just what your doing. SERVING. That means tons of bullshit. Why should any unit even want you much less want to send you to hard to get slots? If the answer is "because I am the hardest working Troop they will ever have in their unit" then right on. If the answer is cuz just deserve it, then move along.
gf
Old 30 March 2006, 13:58
Authorized Personnel

As a female who has graduated Airborne school, etc, this is my advice:

Just sign up and serve.
Old 30 March 2006, 16:17
Confirmed User

You guys are MEAN. I'm going back to lurking.
Old 30 March 2006, 16:22
Pre-Chill

Damn, I was trying to be the good cop!!!!!!!!
Old 30 March 2006, 17:03
DOL

SERE is sexy?

I think not. Its pretty fucking miserable.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 30 March 2006, 18:18
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODA 564
SERE is sexy?

I think not. Its pretty fucking miserable.
Hey some folks like JapScat vids, so I guess that there are one or 2 folks out there that got off on SERE

Our new posting rules