Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 7 February 2012, 18:55

Springer Mil-Spec 1911 with Wilson Combat mags, the factory ones suck.
Old 7 February 2012, 19:15
Confirmed User

Only one gun for me: SIG 229 .40cal. I have two of them and one 226 in 9mm. In over
20,000 rounds between all three of them, I have had only one stovepipe and that wasn't
the fault of the gun. I let the slide get dry. Since I switched from oil to lithium on the
slide, it functions like the day I got it and the lithium never dries up or gets depleted. I
respect Glocks. I probably wouldn't buy one but they are a close second to SIGs. Damn
sure wouldn't own another S&W again or buy pimp guns like Taurus or Astra.
Old 7 February 2012, 20:02
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire122 View Post
Since I switched from oil to lithium on the
slide, it functions like the day I got it and the lithium never dries up or gets depleted. I
respect Glocks. I probably wouldn't buy one but they are a close second to SIGs. Damn
sure wouldn't own another S&W again or buy pimp guns like Taurus or Astra.
Yeah, SIGs don't run all that well dry. Wet is good...

Brian Enos makes / sells a pretty good grease that seems to work well on the Sig. Stays where you put it and doesn't dry up as fast as oil tends to do. I would be careful with the amount applied, but the Sig is pretty forgiving even if you apply too much of it.
Old 7 February 2012, 20:37
Confirmed User

Just traded my HK USP for a Super Blackhawk Hunter. Way more practical for me, plus it is stainless.
Old 8 February 2012, 14:55
Morte et une dame

Finally... 'THE answer'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLUwx...layer_embedded
Old 17 February 2012, 13:23

Gen 3 Glock 17 or 34
Old 3 August 2013, 13:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I believe that a gun is a tool and such is driven by the enviornment. I would never carry a 9MM into the back country of Alaska or Western state and I would not carry my 629 Mountain Gun when going out to the movies with my bride. I love the 1911 and carry a SA Champion LW daily to and from work. I also have a 100 acres in the middle of no where and normally carry a large caliber wheel gun. I know this does not answer your question of only one gun but its not just that simple.
Not that simple at all.

Ask the same question about motor vehicles. What are you expecting to do with it? What about maintenance, the price and availability of the proper fuel, repair costs? How do you feel driving it? And don't forget the "little red sports car" syndrome in leos.

There are states where the luxury of high capacity is illegal. The recoil of some calibers may be too extreme for an effective second shot. If you are thinking about home defense be aware of penetrating walls - it makes for hurt feelings in the neighborhood. How are you planning to carry, if ccw is planned(weight is a consideration . . . they do get heavy). How does it feel in your hand?

Generally: buy a well known make(it may be more expensive, but, quality is not an item to skimp on.) and in the caliber it was designed for. Do research, not only on the weapon itself, but its acceptance of various ammunition in its caliber( some autos are finicky). Test fire before you buy. Considering that no weapon is any good if you don't know how to use it . . . you'll need to train, what will the price of the ammunition do to your budget and you might want to consider the availability of that ammunition.

Don't take any single persons opinion. If this is about life . . . your life . . . make up your mind with with an informed decision.

Our new posting rules