SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 22 June 2006, 12:04
Probationary User

PsyOps question

Hello I am new to this site, and im not sure if this is in the right forum. I was wondering if any of you out there could tell me about what is PsyOps, and what do they do, because I have heard that name numerous times and never knew what it was. Thank you
Old 22 June 2006, 12:06
Confirmed User

Please use the search button.

Thank You in Advance
The Village Idiot
Old 22 June 2006, 12:26
Confirmed User

As stated about, do a search for PSYOP. Or you can also gain some general information on PSYWARRIOR.com
Old 22 June 2006, 15:41
Authorized Personnel

We dont need no stinkin S's
Old 22 June 2006, 15:42
BCoRanger
Visitor

Well then it would just be PYOP...
Old 22 June 2006, 15:50
Authorized Personnel

We dont need no stinkin S's on the end

Dont be a culo
Old 22 June 2006, 15:57
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCoRanger
Well then it would just be PYOP...
Now that was good for a laugh. :D
Old 22 June 2006, 16:03
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt V
Now that was good for a laugh. :D
Yes it was, walked right into that one LOL
Old 23 June 2006, 09:41
SOCNET Moderator

did it leave a bump?

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble
Old 23 June 2006, 13:45
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPD1280
did it leave a bump?
Nah it was more like a 1cm deep blunt force trauma wound. Not unlike what I get when I catch my shin on the edge of my bumper.:D
Old 20 July 2006, 01:04
Probationary User

Obviously a lively bunch. I just tried out for unit level SF and made the cut. I'm 3rd generation vet (the only leg), and going to SOCOM in one way, shape or form. New opportunity with PSYOP promising jump wings, language, and another deployment. SF promises a lifetime. What do some of those actively working as assets say about the difference?
Old 20 July 2006, 05:37
Confirmed User

JMM,

I think it comes down to what you want to do. PSYOP is not SF and SF is not PSYOP. What skills to you want to acquire?

I am a former Infantry guy that got a college degree in marekting and thought PSYOP would give me some experience (HA)

PSYOP is more marketing, people skils, and pointing a loadspeaker instead of a weapon

SF is more teaching G's, people skills, and at times pointing a weapon.

A lot depends on what you do in the SF or PSYOP areas. DA,COIN,etc for SF
Regional or Tactical for PSYOP.

Just my .2
Old 20 July 2006, 08:56
Authorized Personnel

I found myself doing a whole bunch of FID, from teaching Psyop AIT to LBG's, being an advisor to HN Psyop units, to teaching UN Peacekeeping Ops POI's. All that rubbing elbows with the "other" guys who do FID made for a good working relationship, where they start asking for you to deploy on Contingency Ops and such with them. That was while assigned to both Strat and Tac Bns.

Hell I even got to litter the countryside of Panama with leaflets once in 1996. Testing on field expedient leaflet drop methods out of the the MH-60 Helo is what the B/2/7 Commander called it when someone didnt like all them leaflets blowing about littering up Pina Range. But the key here is He ran the op up the flagpole, made the mission his mission so to speak, then took all the heat for it afterwards.

I guess my points here are 2.

1. Be the best Psyopper you can, establish good rapport with the supported unit and they will not only check the block on using Psyop, but will want to use Psyop.

2. Being Psyop does not mean your going to be sitting at home. I deployed as much, or even more than SF guys, sometimes to places they didnt get to go to.
Old 20 July 2006, 09:31
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM
Obviously a lively bunch. I just tried out for unit level SF and made the cut. I'm 3rd generation vet (the only leg)
Holy shit Batman, we allow legs on this board? :D
Old 20 July 2006, 09:55
SOCNET Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM
Obviously a lively bunch. I just tried out for unit level SF and made the cut. I'm 3rd generation vet (the only leg), and going to SOCOM in one way, shape or form. New opportunity with PSYOP promising jump wings, language, and another deployment. SF promises a lifetime. What do some of those actively working as assets say about the difference?
For starters, your profile is pretty sparse.

Are you currently in the military? If so what branch/MOS? You mention "another deployment" where were you?

If you are not yet in the military, you are not yet a "leg" or anything else for the matter.

What is "unit level SF?"

PSYOP is not a "back door" into SOCOM. Yes, until recently, USACAPOC fell directly under USASOC.

Many young turks have had their little feelings hurt trying to throw around that whole, "I'm in Special Operations Command" posture, and leaving it dangling for the hearer to read more into it than is true.

"ASSET"??? You been reading over at PS.com and thought that sounded cool or something? Until such time as you are operational within SF, don't you dare refer to me or any other PSYOP Soldier on this board as an "asset".

Last edited by TPD1280; 20 July 2006 at 12:23.
Old 21 July 2006, 13:34
Probationary User

Apoligies for not get the profile filled out. To clarify for TPD1280:
USAR 5yr/1sr SW asia/2nd EUCOM
"Unit Level SF": Company Level Try-outs.
"Asset" vs. "Operator" vs. "Soldier" vs. etc- Everyone has there view on this. Soldier works just fine for some, others want a different title.

And, I'm here because I recognize the skills/abilities/knowledge of individuals present. People here know. I didn't disrespect anyone. You get what you give. Thank you to everyone that had useful input.

Last edited by JMM; 21 July 2006 at 13:53.
Old 21 July 2006, 15:33
SOCNET Moderator

Thank you for your response.

I assume, (dangerous, I know) that with 5 years in the USAR, you are by now an NCO.

This board is populated largely by NCO's, some of whom you will meet during the course of your career should you decide to join PSYOP, including Team Sergeants, Detachment NCOIC's and NCOES Instructors.

As an NCO, you should be used to a no-B.S. communications style. That is what you will hear here.

Unit level SF as you described it sounds like a unit pre-test so they don't waste time sending people to SFAS who have no chance of ever making it, thus saving the slots and not wasting instructor time. Good program. But it doesn't make you any cooler than you were yesterday, and does nothing to up your status here. Just be proud of who/what you are.

SOCOM pecking order is a delicate issue with many on this site.

Some in PSYOP have prior service in the Rangers and SF, others do not.

Some people in units with a DA mission and a proving ground selection/qualification course view those who do not as not being "real SOF". We are viewed by most as "soft SOF".

The term "Operator" is limited to those serving in DEVGRU or CAG. Period. Unless you work for the phone company.

"Asset" is not a term used to describe what we do. Outside of "an asset to the unit, and the Army" it is not a term in common usage. Perhaps in planning sessions where someone is talking about "air assets" or "commo assets", but we do not refer to what we do as "working as an asset".

The only way you will be able to truthfully say to your family members that you are a member of SOF while working in PSYOP, would be to go to the 4th POG. The rest of PSYOP (USAR) has been re-aligned to the big Army.

If you are just looking for
Quote:
SOCOM in one way, shape or form
, go elsewhere. This is not a job for those looking for an ego stroke or who
Quote:
want a different title
(You will notice under Ace's name, it says "Just a Soldier" a perfect example of humility and understatment at its finest.)

The reaction you got from me to your first post was because it came across as someone who was looking to be cool by association, uninformed, and immature. I am not saying you ARE those things, I am saying that is the picture your post conveyed.

One of the things you will learn at 37F MOS training is target audience analysis and how to choose your words properly and tailor your message to convey your meaning and avoid misunderstanding.

We all know who and what we are, and we know who and what we are not, and we make no bones about it. Just like units with selections and DA missions, we have no time for "cool guys", we need and want NCO's who are focused on and comitted to the job.

Every NCO here has at one time or another had to deal with a troop spouting off that, "I'm in Special Operations" stuff. Saying that and just leaving it dangling provokes images of green faced men sneaking through the jungle on secret missions. For most of PSYOP, nothing could be further from the truth.

Semantics and half-truths are dealt with ruthlessly on this site. They are also dealt with ruthlessly by PSYOP NCO's because it is that kind of garbage that undermines our credibility.

Yes, some of what we do is sneaky and underhanded, and yes, but the bulk of what we do is done above board and right out in public. That's where we get the best Target Audience response and impact indicators.

If you want to join PSYOP because it sounds intriguing, challenging, or a good way to contribute (and it is all of those things), then by all means, come on over.

We very rarely hear anything in the way of thanks, we will never be percieved to be as cool as guys with green or tan hats, and we never get the girl at the end of the movie.

We do it because we like it.

EDIT: Had your first post been placed in the SF, RANGER, or SEAL forum with the exact same wording, the response would have been blistering.

Last edited by TPD1280; 21 July 2006 at 15:40.
Old 21 July 2006, 17:03
Probationary User

TPD1280
*I was promoted to E-6 at 5yrs/8mnths.
*Thank you for clarifying who belongs to whom, there is a lot of discussion on the boards and not all of it is clear.
*I will to go to SOCOM because they ARE leading the fight in a critical time and will continue to do so. I re-enlisted in a time of war in sound mind.
*With all due respect, if you choose to quote,i.e, "want a different title", include the context of the statement. As it is said, anything other than the Truth undermines credibility.
*The fact that you all know who and what you are is the reason why I am interacting in this forum.
*I did not post in the SF, Ranger, or SEAL forum because I was speaking to those that worked in PSYOP. I have directed questions pertaining to SF, to SF.

I have tried not to ask repetitive questions . Understanding the how and why of someone's motivation or feeling about their job doesn't necessarily pop up on a search. Soldiers I have interacted with CONUS/OCONUS from these MOS's have continually shown to hold a higher standard. The differences in the missions themselves and the approaches the units utilize was clarified by psyopranger and psywar.
I really just wanted a better understanding of the general overview of the difference in the work.

Last edited by JMM; 21 July 2006 at 17:15.
Old 21 July 2006, 17:21
Banned User

I'm just tagging along on this question:

What is wrong with Psyops as opposed to psyop?

Reason I ask is because I attended an SSO course at USASOC in 1994. When calling attendance, the instructor called "SSG Tentpeg, 4th Pogue". SSG Tentpeg, in a high, whiny nasally voice replied "It's PAHG".

The instructor: "Yeah, whatever leg, shutup and sitdown."
Old 21 July 2006, 17:48
SOCNET Moderator

Easy one first: If the guy was 4th POG, he was not a leg. All POG slots are on status.

Nobody wants to be called a "Pogue" :D

As for PSYOP versus PSYOPS, I have no idea what officer coined that. I always thought it was PSYOPS before I joined. The way it was explained to me was that PSYOP soldiers conduct PSYOPS.

Whatever.

It has become a litmus test, kind of like the SOAR Memorial, or the Blueberry Pancakes.

JMM: Good response, sounds like we are all on the same page of music.

All Soldiers, regardless of MOS, are contributing. We just have a different piece.

We never make the front page, no parades, no ceremonies.

A lot of what we do will have both transparent (stated) objectives, and hidden (unstated) objectives.

Taking food and clean drinking water to a village has the stated effect of winning hearts and minds.

It will also serve to have the unstated effect of potentially eroding local support for the insurgents.

Sometimes, that's all there is to it.

Sometimes, it has an even deeper intention. If the insurgent himself sees that we are doing good things and his own organization is not, that may shake his faith in his own organization. Shaken faith can lead to dissent. If that dissent spreads wide enough, the organization will eat itself.

Either way, there are fewer people shooting at us, and fewer people hiding those who do, and hopefully people who will help us find them.

That is PSYOP. Not very glamorous, no ability to point to body count as an overt and demonstrable measure of success. A little look into hindsight though can determine the level of hostile action in a given area and determine if we have been effective.

We not only have to be proficient in our own MOS skills, we have to also be proficient in basic Soldier skills like IMT, marksmanship, and commo. When you are supporting an Infantry unit, you have to be able to hold your own while conducting dismounted patrols. Mounted patrols if you are supporting Cav or Armor. This includes IAD's conducted IAW the supported units SOP.

If you are doing things right, you will know it.

Depending on where you were in SWA you probably had a PSYOP team on your camp. If they were good at their jobs, they were likely out of the gate every day. If they were not good at it, they likely spent a lot of time sitting on their asses inside the wire.

That's the measure of success that PSYWAR1-0 was talking about.

Good luck on your decision.

Our new posting rules