Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 13 October 2006, 23:26
Probationary User

Swat emblem

Greetings all,
I have a question about a swat emblem that is used alot by swat units.
here is a link to see the emblem http://mtoa.org/
What I would like to know is what each thing represents:
1) Eagle
2) Lighting Bolt
3) Knife
4) MP5

For example:
1) Eagle - represents freedom
2) Lighting Bolt - etc.

Hope someone out there knows. Thank you in advance.
Old 13 October 2006, 23:40
Been There, Done That

Most designs, like the one shown is a RIP off of the LAPD SWAT Unit's logo.
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.- T.E. Lawrence, "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"
Old 14 October 2006, 00:05
shiver me timbers

The knife is pointing down, I wonder exactly what that means. I can't think of another image using an edged weapon that doesn't point up; the Follow Me patch, the Special Forces patch, the 10th Mountain Div. patch.
Old 14 October 2006, 00:07
Confirmed User

That one has been discussed here more than once (although I could only find one very old thread).

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/show...highlight=mtoa.

I don't remember onyone from that organization posting on the topic, so I doubt there are any memebers here, or anyone who knows what those things mean.

You had some good guesses though.

I'm no mod. or anyone for that matter, but filling out your profile will get you a more freindly reception here.
Old 14 October 2006, 00:17
Karma - it comes around

Eltrane, Army patches that have point-down blades are REMF outfits...

Non-combat arms might be a more PC way of putting it... with my luck someone one here is going to take me task for calling their operationally-deployed unit a sorry-assed slack-jawed REMF "outfit", but WTF... its Friday and I'm livin' dangerously. Not drunk, though... damnit.
Old 14 October 2006, 01:12
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT-SORT
Greetings all,
I have a question about a swat emblem that is used alot by swat units.
here is a link to see the emblem http://mtoa.org/
What I would like to know is what each thing represents:
1) Eagle
2) Lighting Bolt
3) Knife
4) MP5

For example:
1) Eagle - represents freedom
2) Lighting Bolt - etc.

Hope someone out there knows. Thank you in advance.
Fill out your profile.
Old 14 October 2006, 09:00
Been There Done That

Maybe they look cool?
Old 14 October 2006, 09:39
Confirmed User

I know that is also the patch that one can purchase at varrious web sites. If not mistaken it is also the "national symbol" or close variation for swat types. Our team has been given these patches, but do to it resembling the trident it is not worn. Like alot of teams, we are fortunate to have some team guys/ SF guys and we do not wear it because we are not SEALs. Unsure of what the symbol means other than it looks to close to the Trident. Just my .02.
Old 14 October 2006, 10:06
Confirmed User

Are you currently DCT or SORT? What is your duty station?
Old 14 October 2006, 18:41
Confirmed User

Ive seen some teams who wear the emblem like the trident, there are some who wear the straight Army Air Assault Badge....What makes that funny is when they dont even have a helicopter...Ive seen the SAS emblem used complete with the "Who Dares Wins" on it. Some look like pilot wings.
My dept has a gold pin that simply says "SWAT" and its worn on your right pocket.

I dont think there is a whole lot of symbolism involved.....I think many teams use off shoots of military emblems primarily for their looks.
Old 14 October 2006, 19:43
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig
there are some who wear the straight Army Air Assault Badge....
I got pulled over by a cop wearing AA wings in DC many years ago. Being a grad I asked him a few questions hoping for some kind of rapport and ended up with a ticket.:D
Old 14 October 2006, 22:08
Confirmed User

We don't have an emblem that we wear on any uniforms. We have the name of our team around the outside of our regular agency patch, and that's only on BDUs. The one or two times a year we have to wear regular uniforms they look the same as any other guy in our agency. Like someone else said, too many of these SWAT emblems look like a knock off of the SEAL trident.
Old 15 October 2006, 00:18
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

L.A. Sheriff Special Enforcement Bureau SWAT has one of the smallest lapel pins I've ever seen; it's basically a tiny diamond shaped lapel pin that is worn on the breast pocket flap on regular class A and B tan and greens. The lettering on it is too small to be read from afar, but any deputy bonus II rank and above wearing the diamond lapel pin is instantly recognized as SWAT (SEB) within the dept.
Old 15 October 2006, 09:24
sunshine

knowing 2or 3 of these men in the mtoa personaly, an shot with a few more an done some training with these men as well they are top notch guys but i got no clue as to what their symbol means or where it came from. but i could ask? if its that important?
Old 19 October 2006, 10:14
Probationary User

That emblem is a generic SWAT emblem that is being seen more and more. Many tactical stores sell these...here's just one of many:
http://www.centermassinc.com/

NTOA has also sold these.

The DHS-ICE SRT school gives these tabs to operators who graduate the school. However, I dont know of anyone who actually wears them...mainly because they obviously were made to look like the SEAL trident.

Where I live and work, wearing this SWAT tab "may" get one's butt kicked as it can easily be confused for something that it is not.

I think folks may be reading too much into what the pieces of the emblem mean, becuase there really isnt any specific meaning for all the pieces....I always said if you paint it black and call it tactical you can sell a million of them!

Last edited by concord160; 19 October 2006 at 10:21.
Old 20 October 2006, 12:53
sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by concord160
That emblem is a generic SWAT emblem that is being seen more and more. Many tactical stores sell these...here's just one of many:
http://www.centermassinc.com/

NTOA has also sold these.

The DHS-ICE SRT school gives these tabs to operators who graduate the school. However, I dont know of anyone who actually wears them...mainly because they obviously were made to look like the SEAL trident.

Where I live and work, wearing this SWAT tab "may" get one's butt kicked as it can easily be confused for something that it is not.

I think folks may be reading too much into what the pieces of the emblem mean, becuase there really isnt any specific meaning for all the pieces....I always said if you paint it black and call it tactical you can sell a million of them!
same answer i got.
Old 20 October 2006, 18:35
Confirmed User

You would think that with all law enforcement has going for it, they could come up with a design that would be a little unique. Of course....not to change the subject....but Ive still been confused about motor officers.....a wheel with wings????? come on guys!!! :D
Old 26 October 2006, 17:29
Confirmed User

Red face We stole the harp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip_Wire
Most designs, like the one shown is a RIP off of the LAPD SWAT Unit's logo.
Ours is a blatant rip off of the SF crest. So much so that I'd be uncomfortable wearing it around an SF vet. My only defense is that it was selected long before me.
Old 22 November 2006, 20:31
SOCNET T Shirt Model

Lightning bolt in a grasp symblolic of the control of fire. Like the FIST symbol.

God put your feet facing forward and your eyes in the front of your head. He expects you to drive the fuck on.
Old 23 November 2006, 02:05
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Deja View

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Pig
..not to change the subject....but Ive still been confused about motor officers.....a wheel with wings????? come on guys!!! :D
think I've posted this before in another thread??

Leave it to CHP SWAT to sneak the geeky traffic symbol into their daggerborne unit insignia;

Our new posting rules