Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 25 December 2006, 15:03
Confirmed User

Terror at Beslan

Anybody read the book Terror at Beslan? I was thinking about picking this up. Additionally can anybody recommend a good book about small unit patrolling tactics?

Last edited by Defensor; 25 December 2006 at 15:34.
Old 18 January 2007, 13:44
If you don't smell ozone, the radiation won't kill you before next week.

I've got my dad's Marine infantryman's manual from about 1951 or so. It mentions small unit patrolling tactics. If you wanted something more up to date, though, I would assume that it would fall under OPSEC, which may explain why nobody replied. Have a nice day!

"I agree that his intentions are suspect, and that he likely needs to die...." - SOTB

"Just a lone patriot acting alone at a fulcrum point, ideally in a deniable fashion. A perpetrator of accidents." - Magician
Old 18 January 2007, 14:28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbop
Additionally can anybody recommend a good book about small unit patrolling tactics?

Buy a Ranger Handbook.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 18 January 2007, 18:34
Confirmed User

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for the replies, my team was recently taught a course on patrolling and most of my teammates have military backgrounds so it is nothing new to them, but I haven't been exposed to this before so I would like to do a little studying. I see both the Marine Corps scouting and patrolling manual and the Ranger handbook are both on Amazon, I'll get them next paycheck.
Old 18 January 2007, 18:49
Aww F**K it

Terror at Beslan looks good. I went to see John Giduck speak, very good class. It was nice to see school admins there also. I started it but I've got like 3 books goin right now.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 19 January 2007, 19:51
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsUp
Terror at Beslan looks good. I went to see John Giduck speak, very good class. It was nice to see school admins there also. I started it but I've got like 3 books goin right now.
An instructor from a course I had taken said the same thing about Giduck's class. I ordered it last week.
Old 27 January 2007, 23:09
Authorized Personnel

Dave Grossman talks about "Terror at Beslan" in his presentation.
Old 10 February 2007, 12:56
Probationary User

I recently had the opportunity to attend Giducks seminar on Terror at Beslan. It was one of the best seminars I have ever attended, both because of the amount of information that is presented and also that he keeps your attention the entire day. I bought the book at the class but havent started it yet. If the book is as good as the seminar, its a must read.
Old 11 December 2007, 11:32
Been There Done That

About half way through the book and it makes my blood boil. I think the picture of the little girl climbing back into the gym is probably the saddest of them all and that says a lot.
Old 15 December 2007, 10:17
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matador275
About half way through the book and it makes my blood boil. I think the picture of the little girl climbing back into the gym is probably the saddest of them all and that says a lot.
For your viewing edification:

http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?t=68269

Nothing's changed from my point of view in the last nine months. Caveat Emptor. Page 3 has some ideas on what to do regarding active shooters.

Hope I didn't spoil the ending... :)
Old 15 December 2007, 11:20
Been There Done That

Let's say that the ending was sort of predictable the second "Chi" called you out. For all of their expertise, they sure lack situational awareness.

Excellent pointers on the AS portion of the thread.
Old 13 December 2011, 23:58
Retired LEO Pilot

This recent article examining the "experts" who train LEOs regarding domestic terrorism seems to punch a few holes in Mr. Giduck's version of events and his experience in Russia.
Old 14 December 2011, 08:57
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check 6
This recent article examining the "experts" who train LEOs regarding domestic terrorism seems to punch a few holes in Mr. Giduck's version of events and his experience in Russia.
In addition to the Giduck hiccups, I now find that I am lacking in my firearms training. It seems that I don't practice (enough) running on floors covered in blood, and then shooting at my targets (not the same as shooting my targets).

Now in my defense, just yesterday morning I worked n something similar. I was racing my wife down our stairs when at the bottom I slipped on a "lint ball" made up of hair from a shedding german shepherd. I subsequently fell, hitting my knee fairly hard. I sadly report that IF I had been armed, my immediate response of curling into the fetal position and howling in pain would not have translated into accurate shot placement.

Yet again, more stuff I find myself lacking in....
Old 14 December 2011, 08:57
Authorized Personnel

Thanks for that article, Check 6.

I just want to point out, that if Mr. Giduck is such a close and trusted friend of Russian Intelligence, he's no one I care to hang with or would trust. Although he might be worthy of an investigation.
Old 14 December 2011, 09:02
Morte et une dame

I had the same impression while watching Giduck promote the breaching SUV;
He seemed to be feeding on FUD.
Old 14 December 2011, 14:15
Russian Tycoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple36 View Post
I just want to point out, that if Mr. Giduck is such a close and trusted friend of Russian Intelligence, he's no one I care to hang with or would trust. Although he might be worthy of an investigation.
You don't say :)

One of the directors on Archangel Group board, Mr. Igor Livits
Quote:
was a sergeant on an elite Soviet military team that guarded its nuclear missile silos.
Interesting character too.

FWIW, I have reviewed a few Russian blogs discussing the book. The overall sentiment is that while the intent of it may have been good, the facts were distorted. The rape victims (or rather, lack of thereof) theme was one of the repeating motives. Other discrepancies brought up were the number of terrorists, weapons used and their quantity, etc.

Last edited by GirlwithaGlock; 14 December 2011 at 14:20.
Old 19 December 2011, 17:36
On the Extract Bird

I was unaware of any controversy regarding Giduck's book, or the vercity of his research. It would be a shame if less than 100% accurate, as that would sure take away from the importance of the bottom line warning therein.

Not too many years ago a wacko took over an Amish school, killing several innocent children. And the attacks in Mumbai are indeed part of the terrorists' TTPs now.

I am still saddened by the lack of SA at many of our nation's LE agencies and school systems.

So...for those reasons, I think their is realvalue in this book, with or without flaws.
Old 20 December 2011, 05:47
Overseas Gunplumber

Hmmm.... you might want to look at some recent discussions about this topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flowers View Post
I was unaware of any controversy regarding Giduck's book, or the vercity of his research. It would be a shame if less than 100% accurate, as that would sure take away from the importance of the bottom line warning therein.

Not too many years ago a wacko took over an Amish school, killing several innocent children. And the attacks in Mumbai are indeed part of the terrorists' TTPs now.

I am still saddened by the lack of SA at many of our nation's LE agencies and school systems.

So...for those reasons, I think their is realvalue in this book, with or without flaws.

"Change....one magazine at a time."

I have been to some armorer courses.
Old 20 December 2011, 09:48
Non Timebo Mala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Flowers View Post

What would that value be?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
When you take a mans dignity, you take his will to live.
Old 20 December 2011, 09:58
Russian Tycoon

Mr. Giduck was fortunate enough to be in the right place at the right time.

He was even more fortunate that a couple of years later we had the VA Tech tragedy. Speaking of finding a gold mine

I am always leery of "researchers" that take a perfectly horrible situation, such as Beslan siege and then top them off with additional details that turn out to be unverifiable.

Our new posting rules