Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Naval Special Warfare > Navy SEALs

Old 26 April 2007, 23:31
Anesthetized User

SEAL medical care in the field

Greetings Gentlemen. If you will indulge me I have a question that may have already been answered before my arrival to this board. It is my understanding that US Army Special Forces receives care from an 18D Medical NCO, trained to the Paramedic level and then some. Do the SEAL team members receive similar Advanced Life Support/Critical Care training?

Regards
Old 27 April 2007, 02:23
Making sure They Come Home

SEAL COrpsman attend the first medical phase of the 18D medical program (Special Operations Combat Medic) or SOCM before reporting to their Team. Later in their SEAL career, some return to complete the full Advanced Special Oertaions Combat Medic (ADSOCM) course giving them the benefit of additional medical training that the 18D's have.
SEAL Medics are independant medical operators in a field environment and have a significant level of medical and trauma training.

Next time use the search button...you may find your answer more easily.

PA
Old 27 April 2007, 07:54
Been There Done That

Change 1:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa
SEAL Corpsman attend the first medical phase of the 18D medical program (Special Operations Combat Medic) or SOCM before reporting to their Team. Later in their SEAL career, some return to complete the full Advanced Special Oertaions Combat Medic (ADSOCM) course giving them the benefit of additional medical training that the 18D's have.
SEAL Medics are independant medical operators in a field environment and have a significant level of medical and trauma training.

According to a JSOMTC briefing recieved in February, as of 3rd Qtr FY 2007, it is projected that most (all?) of the ADSOCM slots earmarked for SEALs were being transferred from WARCOM to the MARSOC IDCs.

If any update or further changes are briefed, will post.

"Hootie-Hoo.."
Old 27 April 2007, 08:23
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEat
According to a JSOMTC briefing recieved in February, as of 3rd Qtr FY 2007, it is projected that most (all?) of the ADSOCM slots earmarked for SEALs were being transferred from WARCOM to the MARSOC IDCs.

True, but only temporary.
Old 27 April 2007, 08:33
Making sure They Come Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeEat

It would cetainly seem like a "Head up someone's ASS" move to ship NAVSPECWARCOM's slots over to MARSOC unless they are going to magically transfer utilization of the SEALs and their Corpsmen to MARSOC as well (rhetorical comment).
This move stinks of politics "The SEAL's have them already and we don't so we need THEIR slots so we can be special too."

As an aside....the IDC rate is a pre-req for all SEAL Corpsmen (8491's)

I'm leaving the rest of this to the Frogs-appeareantly I am outdated now on my info.

PA
Old 27 April 2007, 08:51
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycurgus
Yes, some SEALs attend 18D.

How's team life?
"Better to live alone in the desert than with a nagging wife" - Proverbs 21:19
Old 27 April 2007, 10:04
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
True, but only temporary.
Not only a (hopefully short-lived) temporary decision but another in a series of knee-jerk reactions that were never well thought out. It's all a shell game.

"Hootie-Hoo.."
Old 27 April 2007, 13:36
Anesthetized User

Thank you

Many thanks to all who responded. You provided the information I was looking for. Do the SEAL Corpsmen audit an ATLS course? Or similar? In the UK there is a Surgical skills for Paramedics course taught in conjunction with The Royal College of Surgeons. This covers: Chest Tubes, Suturing, Surgical Airways, Central Lines, Cutdowns, and Fasciotomies. I am sure this info. is on the net somwhere but I wanted to get it from the source. This serves no purpose other than learning the difference between civilian ALS/Critical Care and SOF medicine. Again thank you.
Old 29 April 2007, 20:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ussfpa
SEAL COrpsman attend the first medical phase of the 18D medical program (Special Operations Combat Medic) or SOCM before reporting to their Team. Later in their SEAL career, some return to complete the full Advanced Special Oertaions Combat Medic (ADSOCM) course giving them the benefit of additional medical training that the 18D's have.

Next time use the search button...you may find your answer more easily.

PA
I was under the impression that the 'SEAL Corpsman', as a distinct job, did not exist anymore, particularly because of the SO rate for all SEALS.

External Source Cited = http://www.blackfive.net/main/2006/1...orpsmen_n.html

If this is the case, are SEALs now placed under a specific job -within- the SO rate, and if so, is their 'specialty' determined -after- they've completed their initial training and have arrived at their first Team?

Also, what subsets of working specialties are available within the SO rate, if specific distinctions have been made?

Thank you.

~ Tokan

Our new posting rules