Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > ARSOF Recruitment and Prep

Old 15 October 2007, 04:31

Icon5 Moral waiver and security clearance

Hello to everyone, always appreciative of this place we call SOCNET.

I have ran into a particular issue recently which despite google, search of forums, army regs, talking to various recruiters.....you get the picture. I am hoping someone here can answer.

Here is the context in which I frame my question:
I am PS CAARNG trying to go AD. I was 11B and I now want to reclass into another MOS.

Question:
I have been told by two recruiters that it is army policy that as NPS or PS if you require a moral waiver for any reason, you an ineligible to be considered for a clearance upon entry. Alternatively, you would have to wait until you get to you unit and they are willing to vouch for you, presumably after a certain amount of time has passed. It is strange that I have not been able to find this policy anywhere, no any question of it out there on the net. My BS alarm up, but then again maybe they are right? Can someone help me, please?Thank you in advance for any help.
Old 15 October 2007, 11:02
Confirmed User

Deleted. Felt that mods can handle this and point above person to the right source.

flb3
Old 15 October 2007, 17:58
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AffordableLuxury_In_A_Can
...I have been told by two recruiters that it is army policy that as NPS or PS if you require a moral waiver for any reason, you an ineligible to be considered for a clearance upon entry...
I dont have a source for you, although if I were you I would ask the recruiter to show it to you. That being said, a moral waiver is not of itself a bar to being granted a security clearance, however it could affect the level of clearance you are granted.

I know of two people who have clearances who needed moral waivers to enlist, both were for felonies. The approval authority for moral waivers and the adjudicating authority for clearances are two totally different agencies.

HTH,

R_M

Last edited by RIT_MEDIC; 15 October 2007 at 18:36.
Old 15 October 2007, 18:51
Carl Spackler
Visitor

Ya got a felony ya won't get over secret.
Old 15 October 2007, 20:01

I never did manage to get myself a felony. Either I was real slick or *gasp* just a decent guy! :) Thanks for the responses so far gents, your hospitality is appreciated.
Old 16 October 2007, 02:00

I've been grinding this subject, and this is the closest I have gotten to the heart of the matter; For future reference to anyone who may run into this, the following is an excerpt from AR 601-210:

9–4. Counseling on waivers affecting options
Applicants who receive a waiver for enlistment will be advised of the following:

a. Applicants who require waivers under chapter 4 for limitations that may apply to their selection of enlistment
options will be specifically counseled. Options that require security clearance may require that persons have no record
of civil offenses or records reflecting adversely on the person’s character. Applicants for such options will be advised
that their final eligibility cannot be determined until after their enlistment.

b. Applicants will be advised that waiver of disqualification does not imply an eventual favorable decision on option
eligibility. If applicant elects such an option after counseling, advise him or her that the Army may void the option if
he or she is later determined to be ineligible. The person then may be required to complete the term of service for
which he or she enlisted. Further advise the applicant that omissions of any information he or she was required to
disclose, including expunged records, may later be a basis for an unfavorable decision on option eligibility.

c. Applicants will be advised that most options have other conditions that cannot be determined until after the
person enlists. If these conditions are not met, the Army may void the option without giving rise to a claim of
unfulfilled enlistment commitment or erroneous enlistment. The “Information for Applicants” section of each option
requires that such information be explained to all applicants prior to enlistment.

There is mention of "waiver of disqualification" in regards to option eligibility, but nothing that specifically says "moral waiver=no-go on clearance". I have also downloaded and thouroughly read through the Adjudication guidelines, and I am unable to substantiate the above referenced no-go scenario. Unless there is another AR out there, I think I can chalk this up to recruiter shenanigans.

On the topic of option eligibility, they also tried to tell me that as PS with a waiver I will get no enlistment options....which also appears to be untrue
Old 16 October 2007, 09:05
Authorized Personnel

Everything is based on circumstance: who your investigator is, who your adjudicator is, what you're doing for, what you need access to, why you're a Moral Waiver, etc.

Quote:
Options that require security clearance may require that persons have no record
of civil offenses or records reflecting adversely on the person’s character. Applicants for such options will be advised
that their final eligibility cannot be determined until after their enlistment.-
Everything is based on the circumstance.

The only person who can tell you that you do not qualify for a certain level, is the Adjudicator.

End of story.

Recruiters can give you all the advice they want to, but they cannot tell if you will or will not get a clearance.

If you qualify and choose an MOS that requires a high level clearance, you will require an interim clearance for the AIT. If you cannot get that, then you'll reclass, again.

That's just the way it works. Try for an MOS you want, and maybe get a clearance, maybe not and have to choose something.

Don't try for those MOSs and you'll DEFINITELY not get what you want.
"He who relaxes none of his assurance, no matter how great the danger of imminent death; who, giving up his soul, still looks firmly and scornfully at his enemy- he is beaten not by us, but by fortune; he is killed, not conquered."

- "Essais", by Michel de Montaigne

CPL Mick Bekowsky, USMC, 6 Sep 2004, Fallujah --- Never Forgotten - Forever a Hero
Old 26 October 2007, 16:02

Thanks Mav.

Last edited by AffordableLuxury_In_A_Can; 27 October 2007 at 03:39.

Our new posting rules