Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Explosive Ordnance Disposal

Old 2 March 2010, 14:22
Confirmed Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by B 2/75 View Post
Did the main protagonist of the Hurt Locker jump out of a moving jeep while crossing a high bridge?

No?

I ain't gonna see it then... and that's how I protest this disturbing lack of realism...
B 2/75 I just read your comments. Wanted yo to know mine above were not based on yours. Funny shit though...that is about the only scene I remember from the movie other than some guy calling himself God.
Old 2 March 2010, 23:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbsqd View Post
entire post...
Bmbsqd,

I realize you are contractually obligated to defend this movie (I saw your name in the credits, I think that means you owe me beer ) but honestly, did you expect anything less then sharpshooting every single point of the movie?
Old 2 March 2010, 23:52
Confirmed Asshole

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Lost View Post
Bmbsqd,

I realize you are contractually obligated to defend this movie (I saw your name in the credits, I think that means you owe me beer ) but honestly, did you expect anything less then sharpshooting every single point of the movie?
Nope, no contract. And I have as many issues with the movie as anyone, maybe more. I'd like to have seen some rotating bands on those projos in the trunk. I was not happy about the EOD TL just leaving base like that. We all know that trucks get inspected going out the gates just as much as going in, and the EOD TL would clearly not have been allowed to leave. And, if he did, I think he should have thought about taking the keys from haji.

Anyway, I just look beyond all the BS about uniform perfection and "that wasn't really an Iraqi street". I'm no expert, but I'd the Bridge of River Kwai was not really filmed at the Bridge over River Kwai. But the movie was made while real EOD techs are out there doing what the movie is trying to characterize. THAT is why it is so easy to pick apart. I'd bet a movie about EOD in Kuwait would be so easy to do that with....and would be MUCH more boring!

And the beer is on me. I'll have a Diet Coke if you don't mind!
Old 3 March 2010, 06:26
Ragnar Danneskjold

We watched this again last night. The GF has been nagging me for a week to rent it and watch it again (we saw it in the theatres, in downtown PDX. She thought we were gonna have to fight off a swarm of Portland wannabe hippie peaceniks when I yelled "Just shoot the Hajji fucker already!").
Recognizing the flaws of any Hollywood attempt to get a movie right, from one guntruck missions, to a 3-man team, to the lone man assassination movie, etc.......I still gotta say, I like the movie.

Granted, I can sit and pick it apart as much as the next guy (well, not the EOD guys, cause my balls don't clank quite as much as you guys' do!), but why bother? The fact is, for the XBOX generation, it's a great movie, and as has been pointed out, might motivate some little fucker into enlisting for EOD. Of course, he's not gonna be the stud a senior NCO EOD tech is.....Shit, when he's a senior NCO, he'll be pissed about the little brats that enlist because they just saw Hurt Locker 16.....

Nevertheless, it's entertaining. Bigelow can say it's an anti-war movie all she wants, but I don't know a single person who saw it that took it that way. Everyone I know who's seen it, civilian and military alike, read it as a story about this EOD team and how well they did a fucked up hard job that most of us don't have the balls to do.

So, as a non-EOD guy (Cause I'm entirely too much of a pussy for that job!), I thought it was okay.

And....thank you, to all of the EOD guys, for having the nerve to do a job that I don't.
Old 3 March 2010, 13:27
Confirmed Asshole

All I can say is WOW!

Just when all the EOD techs come out of the woodwork and claim to be "above it all"......

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/...t_N.htm?csp=34

Soldier sues over alleged portrayal in 'The Hurt Locker'

With the 82nd Academy Awards days away, Michigan attorney Geoffrey Fieger's office has announced that it is filing a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against a front-running best picture nominee.
A news conference is planned Wednesday morning at Fieger's offices to announce the filing in U.S. District Court of a lawsuit against the makers of The Hurt Locker. The Iraq war drama about a bomb-defusing squad is nominated for nine Oscars.
The lawsuit had not yet been filed on Tuesday, nor was it available to the Free Press.
The news release said the suit will be on behalf of former Michigan resident Master Sgt. Jeffrey S. Sarver, who it says was the subject of an article for Playboy written by Hurt Locker screenwriter Mark Boal. Boal's story on bomb-defusing squads in Iraq ran in the September 2005 issue.
The release says the suit will allege that "the film's makers falsely claim the characters portrayed in the film are fictional when in fact the film's main character, Will James, is Master Sgt. Sarver."

James is played by best actor nominee Jeremy Renner.
The release says the suit accuses Boal and the film's makers of cheating Sarver "out of financial participation in the film, and any acknowledgement of his heroic actions in Iraq."
Sarver's wife, Alisa, said Tuesday he was on the way to Detroit for the news conference. She said she wasn't at liberty to discuss the impending suit.
She said her husband, 38, has been in the military 18 years and is currently stationed at Ft. Campbell, Ky., near Nashville, as a bomb technician. After leaving metro Detroit today, she said, her husband plans to attend training in Louisiana.
Summit Entertainment, which acted as the U.S. distributor of The Hurt Locker, released this statement in response to Fieger's release:
"Ever since Summit acquired the distribution rights to the finished feature film The Hurt Locker during the 2008 Toronto International Film Festival, we have been proud to showcase the film to audiences in the U.S. The film is a story about heroes depicting a fictional account of what brave men and women do on the battlefield. We have no doubt that Master Sgt. Sarver served his country with honor and commitment risking his life for a greater good, but we distributed the film based on a fictional screenplay written by Mark Boal. We hope for a quick resolution to the claims made by Master Sgt. Sarver."
Old 3 March 2010, 14:11
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmbsqd View Post
The release says the suit will allege that "the film's makers falsely claim the characters portrayed in the film are fictional when in fact the film's main character, Will James, is Master Sgt. Sarver."
For some reason I am not suprised in the least about this, either by the fact that a movie about a cowboy EOD tech would be based on Sarver, or the fact that Sarver would want to be known as the cowboy...

Isn't he a member here?
Old 3 March 2010, 17:59

Is he going to sue the producers of "The General's Daughter" as well. Because they used the "the hurt locker" phrase in that movie. The phrase the media reports he claims to have coined. You spend your whole time in EOD trying to stay out of the spotlight, because you don't want to buy cases of beer. Much respect to your time in EOD Master Sgt. but damn!
Old 3 March 2010, 18:33
Authorized Personnel

I think the problem isn't that it is unrealistic (I'm sure that is an issue for some people) but since when are "war movies" realistic?

The problem is that on one hand you have it being hailed as "bringing the reality of the war home blah blah blah" when on the other hand it isn't and doesn't. If it is just an action flick where literary license was taken to make it more appealing, that's fine. But the whole "Whoa dude, that's the shit man. It was totally just like that in Iraq."... yeah, fuck that.

I tried to watch it again last night after looking at this thread... It still doesn't seem to capture my attention. Meh...

"Break squelch and die."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 3 March 2010, 20:53
Confirmed User

From CNN.com:

"Sarver is still in the Army, but his location is a military secret, Fieger said.

"He can't even tell me," he said."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Movi...ex.html?hpt=T2

Yep.
Old 3 March 2010, 20:56
Confirmed User

Just wanted to add...in the article a few posts above mine...they are giving out military secrets (his location!).
Old 4 March 2010, 08:56
Authorized Personnel

Just listened to an interview with Fieger on WJR in Detroit. Geoffrey Fieger's main drive is that Sarver is NOT a public figure and has more ownership of his life story than those that are. From that the screenwriters article in Playboy (haven't read it or seen the pictures) is specifically7 about Sarver. Then for the screenplay he just changed the name to a fictional basis. Which provides the basis of the suit because the screenwriter 'appropriated' Sarver's life story with attribution or compensation.

Fieger doesn't file unless he has a GOOD chance of winning. His main claim to fame is being Jack 'Dr Death' Khavorkian's attorney.
Old 4 March 2010, 12:35
Been There Done That

just picked up the DVD...will watch it tonight.

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 4 March 2010, 22:40
Confirmed User

Fieger

Fieger is famous in the Detroit area for doing anything to get attention. Flamboyant does not even begin to touch this guy. If it gets him in the news, he will file a suit, even if it doesn't have the slightest chance of success. He is the perfect guy if you want publicity about your "cause" (like Jack Kevorkian), but not the kind I would want for any serious legal challenge. He is better known for shouting obscenities at judges than crafting intelligent legal arguments. Kevorkian might have been willing to do the time to get publicity for his cause, but most people would rather win their case. Fieger has already gained what he wanted. I seriously doubt that the person who hired him will be as satisfied with the outcome.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
- George Washington
Old 5 March 2010, 03:31
Spc Pez

http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/03/03...cker-law-suit/

This just in....EOD guy claims he was the inspiration for the main character and wants money.
Old 5 March 2010, 08:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avandir View Post
http://news-briefs.ew.com/2010/03/03...cker-law-suit/

This just in....EOD guy claims he was the inspiration for the main character and wants money.
Really dude, have you not read the past 10 comments?
Old 5 March 2010, 22:53
Been There Done That

I bought Hurt Locker and Sherlock Holmes at the same time two days ago.

I'm glad that I popped in Sherlock Holmes first. After that Holmes disaster which I ended up turning off after 15 minutes, Hurt Locker seemed like an Oscar shoe-in.

There wasn't much depth to the overall story. I did get a laugh at the parts that weren't necessarily the school solution though...

God made machine language; all the rest is the work of man.
Old 6 March 2010, 08:40
On the Extract Bird

I never even heard of this movie till Bmbsqd mentioned it while dropping some gear off at my place a couple of months ago (I thought it was another flick). So after a couple of weeks I finally heard about it on the news and saw it currently on PPV.

Watched it with a former Army Aviator and we both thought it was a pretty good flick. Never expected it to be remotely realistic and took it like the Baghdad version of "Lethal Weapon" ala EOD.

Now I see it might be up for an Oscar.....now thats all kinda fucked up

2 hours of entertainment ... IMO yep, worth the $4.95

Last edited by CarbineM1; 6 March 2010 at 08:52.
Old 7 March 2010, 16:39
Confirmed Asshole

Lawsuit

Here is the lawsuit filed by MSG Sarver.....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sarverlawsuit.pdf (388.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 7 March 2010, 22:18
Confirmed Asshole

Mark Boal just won Best Original Screenplay for Hurt Locker. Congrats Mark!
Old 7 March 2010, 22:18

Congratulations to Mark Boal. Hopefully the first Oscar of many for "The Hurt Locker"

Our new posting rules