Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 10 January 2009, 17:23
Vivat Fraternitatis

Climbers in the Fayetteville area?

Evening all:

I apologize if this is the wrong part of the forum. I was wondering if there are any rock or alpine climbers on these boards who are in the Fayetteville area. I just relocated here and am looking for new climbing partners. I'm not a SOF guy, just an intel weenie who loves to climb.

Have a great day.

-MB
Old 20 January 2009, 11:33
BTDT

Try this one...

Climb Redpoint, Fayetteville, NC 28304, phone contact: 910-868-7625

I'm sure you've already "cracked the code" on this, but I'm certain there are all types of "chalk monkeys" hanging about the gym. Some may have an interest in outdoor climbing vice indoor walls, et al.

Just tyring to help out a fellow climber.

V/R

Kato
Houston, TX
Old 20 January 2009, 14:12
Vivat Fraternitatis

IMUA,

Planning on getting a membership there as soon as the PCS dust settles. They have a decent Crossfit area as well. Thanks for the beta.

-MB
Old 20 January 2009, 14:41
Confirmed User

Try searching in yahoo groups. There was a decent climbing group on there. They meet once a month in Raleigh. They did alot of outdoor climbing on pilot mountain. Speaking of pilot mountain, I went a few times by myself. Most everyone that was there were good people. If they had a rope on a lane most would let you have go at it if you asked. Most would help you out with technique and good advice.

I need to get rid of my stuff, married now with two kids, no time or money for climbing. All of it is practicly brand new, the harness has less than 10 outdoor climbs on it. New rope, biners and shoes.
Old 21 January 2009, 21:36
Vivat Fraternitatis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold1 View Post
Try searching in yahoo groups. There was a decent climbing group on there. They meet once a month in Raleigh. They did alot of outdoor climbing on pilot mountain. Speaking of pilot mountain, I went a few times by myself. Most everyone that was there were good people. If they had a rope on a lane most would let you have go at it if you asked. Most would help you out with technique and good advice.

I need to get rid of my stuff, married now with two kids, no time or money for climbing. All of it is practicly brand new, the harness has less than 10 outdoor climbs on it. New rope, biners and shoes.
Will check out Pilot Mountain, looks to be only about 3 hours away. PM Inbound about that new rope...
Old 22 January 2009, 09:37
Been There Done That

Pilot Mt is nice, spent a day climbing up there when I was AD, also some good places out in the western part of the state.
Old 22 January 2009, 12:23
BTDT

Since this isnt generating much response, I'll get off my ever widening backside and offer up what I can...Last time I climbed NC was about a week before the Army PCS'd me to Tampa, spelled F-L-A-T as F-#-@-K, in Aug 04. In fact between Tampa and SOCOM I tapped out and retired.

Right now its too cold for my old ass to be out all day playing on the rocks when I can be out in the cold all day shooting cardboard bad guys. Someone else down in Wilmington has been bugging me to get him out on the rock, so once it warms up a tad, I'll be willing to make the rounds of a few places and dust off the cobbwebbs, if you gotta get out right now today, good luck!

If you need to get out this weekend, Stone Mountain, about a 2 and half hour drive, up near North Wilksboro is some AWESOME slab climbing, VERY RUNNOUT if your heart is up for it, and south facing so stays warm pretty much year round when the sun is out...I have climbed there with 5" of snow on the ground and with a hand warmer in the chalk bag it was tolerable. A good article can be found here...

http://www.southeastclimbing.com/cli...a/stone_mt.htm

Pilot Mountain is good, used to take me 2 hours +/- from Cottonade in Fay driving right at 70 in a Jeep Wrangler for reference. It is mostly top rope, there is some trad, but mainly top rope. Good quality rock, good range of difficulty, and the climbing area is a 5 minute walk from the parking lot. Of course because of ease of access, it can be busy during gorgeous weather.

Moore's Wall is on the other side of HWY 52 from Pilot, on the backside of Hanging Rock State Park, still about 2 and a tad hours. It is all Trad (I've heard there is some sport stuff but havent seen it) with some great rock, well known up and down the east coast.

Good Beta can be found here... http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/N...l/Moores_Wall/

Crowder's Mountain is on the other side of Charlotte, south of Gastonia, just under 3 hrs from Fayetteville. There is both top rope and trad, really never gave any of the multi-pitch trad stuff a go, and have only been there about twice, as the rock if very coarse, so great friction but by mid day it feels like you've been sanding your finger tips with 600 grit paper all day...imo

Lineville Gorge...one word...MUTHERFUCKING-AWE--SOME!!! The area is known as the Grand Canyon of the East, and has some great rock, high, multi-pitch trad stuff that used to scare the beejesus out of the wife...she'd be clinging on for dear life, 2-300 ft up, huge exposure, fear written all over her face and be lovin' it. The classics, all moderate, in the Amphitheater are all great leads...The Mummy, The Daddy, even the 5.3 or .4 Prow are multi-pitch on great rock with awesome views....on top of that, right there from the same parking lot is Table Rock....mostly bolted stuff, but some trad, again some really great quality rock/climbing. Its wilderness camping, meaning no shower hut, pack in your own water, etc. and if I recall requires registering, but if you like high, trad stuff, it is worth the 4+ hours to get there from here. Good info is also found here...

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/N..._Amphitheater/ or http://www.southeastclimbing.com/cli...ille_gorge.htm

If you're looking for someone to go now, try this place, http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/N...orth_Carolina/ particular attention to the "I NEED FRIENDS!!!" thread! I havent posted here so dont know how much activity it generates, but appears to be a starting point.

If you're content for a little more fair weather climbing, shoot me a PM in late Mar or Apr and we'll make arrangements to see if you're an Ax Murderer or not!

Hope this helps.

"You cant walk on water if you dont get out of the boat," the Infamous Mike Brown

"Hard Times Dont Last...But Hard Men Do" 3rd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group
Old 22 January 2009, 18:42
BTDT

While I was thinking about it, you are also about 5 hours from Fayetteville WV and the New River Gorge, which includes Summerville. If you are into sport climbing, this area is well worth the drive on four day weekends...its been called the best single pitch climbing in North American...only been there twice, like it alot, but dont know about the claim of the best.

Anyway, I never got into the Gym Scene, but all the locals I knew that did went to the Climbing Scene downtown. I do know the owner is a wealth of knowledge, have run into him all over but I suck at names and it's been a while.

"You cant walk on water if you dont get out of the boat," the Infamous Mike Brown

"Hard Times Dont Last...But Hard Men Do" 3rd Battalion, 3rd Special Forces Group
Old 26 February 2009, 12:55

Just thought I would chime in on some of the more popular places around central and western NC.

First, if you are looking for true alpine you will be disappointed. Not many options and even Lineville has what, maybe an hour approach? That isn't to say the routes aren't classic but it certainly isn't alpine climbing.

Laurel Knob was just purchased within the last two years and offers an alpine experience of sorts. Longer approach followed by sustained 5.8 + routes. The climbing is a mix between stone mountain and looking glass (frictiony). Six to seven long pitches on many of the routes and runouts abound. Its all trad and finding the raps has caused at least one major rescue since the purchase. Not for the new leader or faint of heart, it certainly has the ground up ethics that seem to define NC.

Moores is the place to trad climb. Some real classics and rarely busy. As mentioned, there are sport routes at Moores but they start in the 12s. If you are into trad you will end up calling moores home more often then not.

Pilot is great for taking the kids but its often packed on the weekends. When the weather gets nice it can be a zoo. Great place to learn or take a beginner. Large range of climbing from 4s-13s, rock quality isn't great but most people toprope anyway. Many of the popular sport routes have been rebolted. Not a bad place but being so close to Moores its hard to pick Pilot.

Table Rock has many routes that are bolted, but it certainly isn't sport. If you rely on the bolts you are looking at some decent runouts. This and Lineville Gorge are truly amazing. You can easily hit both in a weekend. Highly recommend, if ya plan to spend 3 hours driving to pilot please just keep going. You wont regret it. There are access issues in the winter!

Stone is the place to go in the winter. Again, there are bolts but I swear they are placed so far apart you just use them as mental goals. They damn well don't make the climbs safe. One bolt per pitch...wtf.

True sport climbing is only found at sauretown (sp?) and its fairly close to pilot and moores. There are access issues and a recent forrest fire might have closed down the area for good.

The only aid we have is at looking glass. It might be world class but I've never heard a peep about it, just a chapter in the guide book.

Check out
carolinasclimbers.org for mini guides and just about anything else you might need.

The triangle area has a pretty large climbing community. It pulls people from Bragg/Pope and they get outside quite often.
Old 1 March 2009, 20:11
Confirmed User

RedPoint

Awesome place.

I'm more Muj than the Muj.
Mr. S (OIF 2 An Anbar)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 1 March 2009, 21:16
BTDT

Diehard, great post...I bet its a long approach from China to anywhere in NC!

Made it up to Pilot about two weeks ago, a fair amount of new routes put up since I climbed there last in '04 and I'm told Sauertown is closed right now, also heard it was mostly solid 9's and up.

Last edited by CDRODA396; 1 March 2009 at 21:19.
Old 24 May 2009, 15:33

Diehard, that was a great post on North Carolina rock climbing

I wanted to add some information on aid climbing at Looking Glass. There is fantastic aid there, for the beginner (A0) as well as for the advanced (A4+). If anyone is looking to get into aid, Glass Menagerie is the way to go. It's a great intro, and you'll swear that you're climbing in Yosemite. If any of you are interested in doing some guiding, or talking more about climbing, I run a North Carolina rock climbing guide service in Apex NC called Ascent Adventure Consultants.
Old 2 June 2009, 17:05

Just a quick update....I climbed Glass Menagerie this weekend and some of the pitons on pitch 4 are blown out. So bring extra cams and hooks!! North Carolina rock climbing at its finest though!!

Our new posting rules