Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 28 January 2009, 02:36

HK45 vs. USP45

Anyone have an opinion on H&K's new .45? Especially considering the price difference between the two, is it worth it to spring for the HK45 or just pick up a USP?

PH
Old 28 January 2009, 08:16
CombatWombat
Visitor

I had both. I sold my USP and kept the HK45. YMMV.
Old 28 January 2009, 13:13
Banned poser piece of garbage

HK45
Old 28 January 2009, 19:36
Banned User

HK45 vs. USP45

CombatWombat and Drager, you both have my attention. I love my USP.........tell me why the HK45 is better.
A good excuse to upgrade is needed. Thanks in advance.
Old 28 January 2009, 19:43
Banned poser piece of garbage

Ok, To be perfectly honest, it comes down to personnel preference, I like both weapons and I own both, I find myself leaning toward the HK just for the fact I like the feel of it better. I've used the HK operationaly and I tell you I'v had no malfunctions, no stove pipes nothing.
Old 28 January 2009, 20:12

Well I broke down and picked up the HK45. I couldnít be any more happier with it. Now Iím not saying there is anything wrong with the USP, on the contrary the reason I love the HK45 is it is basically an updated USP. Real smooth shooter which eats up the recoil for lightning quick follow up shots, not to mention the removable backstraps like the 2000. The grip angle is adjusted to be identical to the 1911 in handling, and the profile is quite a bit slimmer at the cost of 2 rounds. Overall, I recommend it based on my experience thus far, but if I already had a USP Iím not sure I would have paid out that much cash just to replace it. Anyway, just my $.02. Cheers!

PH

p.s. the mags for the HK are not interchangable with the USP
Old 28 January 2009, 23:01
Confirmed User

I wish I could buy one. I was visiting in a free state a few months ago and got my hands on one. I sure do like the feel of it, the grip, how it seems to fit my hand. I wasn't able to shoot it, but I don't have any worries about that, it will shoot better than I do.

I'm told that HK has no plans to get DOJ approval, or maybe it doesn't have some required features to be CA legal.

You mention slimmer at the cost of two rounds. Isn't it still at least a ten round magazine (all we can have in CA, even if we could buy the HK45!)?
Old 28 January 2009, 23:20

The standard mag for the HK45 is a 10 rounder, though they do have a 15 which I have yet to see - It would have toprotrude out for the grip as the 10rd mag is full cap, not plugged like the USP 10rd.
Old 30 January 2009, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter H View Post
The standard mag for the HK45 is a 10 rounder, though they do have a 15 which I have yet to see - It would have toprotrude out for the grip as the 10rd mag is full cap, not plugged like the USP 10rd.
Pretty sure that is a myth. Last I read, they had no plans for producing a high capacity mag. Too bad too, I'd pick one up just for the hell of it.
Old 30 January 2009, 18:00
BTDT

Let me get this straight:
Quote:
Quote:
Posted on 28 January 2009, 02:36
Anyone have an opinion on H&K's new .45? Especially considering the price difference between the two, is it worth it to spring for the HK45 or just pick up a USP?
The above was Wednesday morning at 2:30 am (2 days ago) where you couldn't decide which to buy, and needed advice for same.
Quote:
Quote:
28 January 2009, 20:12
Well I broke down and picked up the HK45.........Real smooth shooter...........Overall, I recommend it based on my experience thus far................
Ad now a mere 18 1/2 hours later, you purchased it, picked it up or had it delivered, AND shot enough rounds through it to the extent that you can NOW recommend it to other shooters, on a web site where the primary members are Special Operations personnel.

Do I have all this correct?
Old 30 January 2009, 18:09
BTDT

I still prefer the CQB MK-V Tactical Destroyer from "Frangible Arms"
(chambered in 8mm of course)
Old 30 January 2009, 18:57
Moderator Weapons & H2H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Let me get this straight:
The above was Wednesday morning at 2:30 am (2 days ago) where you couldn't decide which to buy, and needed advice for same.

Ad now a mere 18 1/2 hours later, you purchased it, picked it up or had it delivered, AND shot enough rounds through it to the extent that you can NOW recommend it to other shooters, on a web site where the primary members are Special Operations personnel.

Good observation. Maybe he plans on using it on an unarmed PSD gig!

Rock

What people think about me is none of my business!

Thai Boxing: The sweetest science....The most brutal fighting sport in the world...Few men are cutout for it.
So for those who are not there is always Jiu-Jitsu.

YEMX
Old 30 January 2009, 19:37
Been There Done That

Quote:
At least you got the addition right, which is a miracle.
I heard a Green Beret say once to a man that failed a highly demanding school, "It is still the individual effort, the ability to take one more step, and to understand that the pain of finishing is more intense, but finite, however the pain of quitting is unbearable..... and eternal.
Old 30 January 2009, 23:09
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrjoe175 View Post
I be workin' on my Maff skills, and shit.
Old 31 January 2009, 03:57
Retired Jarhead

Quote:
I be workin' on my Maff skills, and shit.
LOL. At least your doing something with your time bro.

You are either part of the problem or part of the solution. There is no middle ground.
Old 31 January 2009, 16:19
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrjoe175 View Post
Show off!

:)
Old 31 January 2009, 20:31

Pardon me while I step off of my dick that I stepped all over. After reading my post I realize how ridiculous my recommendation sounds (though I do really like the firearm from my very limited time with it). I do realize the quality of company that is SOCNET in general, so take my very humble opinion of the firearm for what it is. As far as the PSD thing… ouch. I’ll try not to be a troll in the future. Hopefully this clears things up a bit. Cheers!

PH
Old 2 February 2009, 01:40
Mod

No big deal. It's actually funny.

Stepping on your dick would have been catching an attitude about it.

Enjoy your new pistol. I haven't fired one yet, but I like my USP 45, even if it's not a 1911.
Old 5 February 2009, 19:16
NKDA

Although still Germanly heavy, the trigger pull on the HK45 seems to be smoother.

The new grips are sweet too.

Not to mention the HK45 comes with a standard pic rail, whereas the USP doesn't.

...but I still choose the USP. It's a no BS, tough/dependable son of a bitch (for a polymer framed weapon).
Old 7 February 2009, 11:24

I had a USP45 that I dumped after a few years. Never really agreed with its grip and it was a bit blocky in my opinion. Ultimately reliable, but somewhat uncomfortable. The HK45 came along and addressed the grip with a quantum leap. By far the most comfortable grip on any handgun I own.

I don't find much in the way of a price difference.....very nominal at best. The barrel bushing, IMO, isn't that big of a deal. My USP was very accurate and it didn't have one, but, all things considered, I'll defer to Mr. Vickers design input well above my own any day.

The slimmer slide profile is great, the grip is an enormous improvement IMO, the interchangable grip straps will help some taylor the fit, no gripes there. Capacity is a minor issue that I can live with. If 10 rounds of .45 can't get it done, it aint the pistols fault.

After roughly 1000 rounds, I haven't had a single malfunction of any kind. This gun digests everything. I'll also add that the gun shoots smoother, with less felt recoil than my USP45 did. A tad easier to get back on target after each shot....and that matters to me big time.

Spare mags are kind of expensive, $40-$50. The gun is definately a full sized .45 and as such, not my CCW gun....but for the role it was purchased for, I couldn't be happier with it. To me, this is what the USP should have been all along. Hell, this is what the MK23 Mod 0 should have been all along.
Here's mine.........

Last edited by Ace; 7 February 2009 at 21:30. Reason: Merged two posts

Our new posting rules