Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 5 April 2009, 13:30
VP for Chicanery&Plunder

I really like to cook, and think I am pretty decent at it. My wife doesn't really like to cook, although she is more than pretty decent at it. Typically, whoever gets home first cooks. My problem is that I am incapable of cooking anything without dirtying every pot, pan, dish, and utensil in the kitchen.

Unless I am baking, I rarely follow recipes or measure except as a general starting point.

Anytime I travel, one of my priority souvenirs is local spices or sauces.

"If you want to be free...
then you can't be dumb"

- Bootsy Collins
Old 5 April 2009, 13:33
Drawing my cutlass

Clean as you go and it solves the dirty kitchen issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post
I really like to cook, and think I am pretty decent at it. My wife doesn't really like to cook, although she is more than pretty decent at it. Typically, whoever gets home first cooks. My problem is that I am incapable of cooking anything without dirtying every pot, pan, dish, and utensil in the kitchen.

Unless I am baking, I rarely follow recipes or measure except as a general starting point.

....it also proves your squared awayness.
Old 5 April 2009, 13:35
Moving Target

I cook just about all my meals, I'm divorced. I did cook alot when I was married and I make a mean ckicken and dumplings and deer chow mein, I had a few beers to many the other day and made all kinds of stuff. The best chefs in the world are men ,hooa.

Last edited by foxcolt13; 5 April 2009 at 13:39.
Old 5 April 2009, 13:35
Confirmed User

Well, I learned to cook early on because every guy should know how to cook and I wasn't sure I would ever find a wife. When I did get married, I made a deal with my wife, I hated cleaning and lliked cooking. She hated cooking and liked cleaning. Voila. I have been cooking everything from bacon/eggs to crown roast of pork with potatoes and gravy for nearly 30 years.
Old 5 April 2009, 13:46
Confirmed User

As a single guy, i cook my own chow. On the grill, I get good reviews from friends and family. Be it wild game or whatever, nothing is as good as something made over fire, with the right kind of wood in my opinion. And then there is the dutch oven....oh the master pieces I've made in that bad boy over open fire. Damn, I getting hungry now.
Old 5 April 2009, 13:59
Confirmed User

I took up cooking when my wife went to nursing school. Eight years later I'm still doing it. We also take turns at the fire hall. I don't necesarilly enjoy it, but when you're the one doing the cooking you tend to have more say in what's for dinner.
Old 5 April 2009, 14:00
SOCNET Moderator

I love to cook. After several years of cooking I am finally learning the practice of "clean as you go," and it really does make thing go much smoother. Less clutter while you are in the groove, and less clean up after dinner when you are fat and happy and would really like to park yourself on the couch and bask in the fullness.

When I was growing up, cooking was more than just practical necessity it was a demonstration of prowess and proficiency. My Dad could take a bunch of seemingly mismatched ingredients throw them all in a pot and come up with some incredible stuff. From him I also got my love of omelets. Things like spaghetti sauce from a jar were "streng verboten" by my mother and grandmother, unless you really wanted to get smacked upside the head. One of the greatest kitchen complements I ever got was when my Mom, very sheepishly, told me that my spaghetti sauce was better than hers.

Spaghetti sauce and omelets were just the beginning.

I like to eat, and I like to eat well, but that can get a little expensive if one is eating out all the time. So I learned to cook. At first just following recipes, later learning how to tweak recipes to fit them more to my pallet.

My kids and I will watch the Food Network at the drop of a hat, and I have cooks.com bookmarked. I also like to examine good food in fine restaurants and try to recreate them at home.

I can make restaurant quality meals complete with appetizers, salad, entree, and occasionally dessert. Desserts are my wifes specialty.

One would think after all this that we are a couple of tubs of lard, quite the contrary. It's all about portions, ingredients, and methods.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble

Last edited by TPD1280; 5 April 2009 at 14:22.
Old 5 April 2009, 14:03
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPD1280 View Post
I love to cook. After several years of cooking I am finally learning the practice of "clean as you go," and it really does make thing go much smoother. Less clutter while you are in the groove, and less clean up after dinner when you are fat and happy and would really like to park yourself on the couch and bask in the fullness.

When I was growing up, cooking was more than just practical necessity it was a demonstration of prowess and proficiency. My Dad could take a bunch of seemingly mismatched ingredients throw them all in a pot and come up with some incredible stuff. From him I also got my love of omelets. Things like spaghetti sauce from a jar were "streng verboten" by my mother and grandmother, unless you really wanted to get smacked upside the head. One of the greatest kitchen complements I ever got was when my Mom, very sheepishly told me that my spaghetti sauce was better than hers.

Spahetti sauce and omelets were just the beginning.

I like to eat, and I like to eat well, but that can get a little expensive if one is eating out all the time. So I learned to cook. At first just following recipes, later learning how to tweak recipes to fit them more to my pallet.

My kids and I will watch the Food Network at the drop of a hat, and I have cooks.com bookmarked. I also like to examine good food in fine restaurants and try to recreate them at home.

I can make restaurant quality meals complete with appetizers, salad, entree, and occasionally dessert. Desserts are my wifes specialty.

One would think after all this that we are a couple of tubs of lard, quite the contrary. It's all about portions, ingredients, and methods.
Agree, fresh ingredients make all the difference. We do the Costco thing because all of their meats, poultry and produce are restaurant quality.
Old 5 April 2009, 14:20
Confirmed User

Hobo Stew....

Definitely getting a kick out of this one. Thanks SOTB. I'm not a contributor usually, mostly I lurk, but I couldn't help myself on this one.
Now a REMF back stateside, I find myself cooking about 99.9% of the time. Everything from London Broil to Oatmeal.
What I'm finding interesting with this thread is the Great American "Weekend" Breakfast phenomenon.
We do it here too, grab what you can during the week, but on the weekends it’s a breakfast "free for all". I wonder sometimes if this phenomenon has been caused by our hurried lifestyles and culture, or by some other lack of ........... (fill in the blank).
I know as a kid growing up, I had "real" breakfasts, lunches and dinners "daily", prepared by whoever was home at the time (Mom or Dad). Just seems we, as a culture, have departed from this tradition.
Back in "my day", this was a time for parents to find out what was going on in their kids lives.
Not that that doesn't happen today, but I suspect less frequently.
Anyways, GREAT thread.

Oh ya, the favorite meal around here.... Hobo Stew. It's gonna sound strange, but if you like the ingredients, you'll love this....

~ 1 pack "beef" Hotdogs, sliced into 1/4" widths.
~ Diced Onion. I use about 1/2 of a medium sized "yellow" onion.
~ Saute’ onion with 1 tablespoon butter/margarine for a couple of min. then add Hotdogs, and continue to saute’ until browned.
~ Add 2 cans "Creamed" Corn, simmer for 15 min.
~ Serve with Pillsbury biscuits.

Quick, Easy, and I'm tellin' ya, the family will LOVE this one. Trust me
Old 5 April 2009, 14:27
War on Christmas veteran

My wife is a great cook, from a family of Italian women that take pride in their cooking.
My post marriage weight gain, I attribute as a testimony to her abilities.

But she's also a vegetarian and, though she does make some great meat dishes, there are some fine meat dishes I won't let her near.
Aside from barbeque... I have a couple of good chicken dishes I make.
I also do all the steaks and roasts.
Some pasta dishes... it pisses her off when the kids prefer my pasta to hers sometimes. (that whole Italian pride thing)
Once in a while, I also have my own way of preparing and seasoning rack of lamb that is friggin awesome.

I also bake with my daughter every once in a while... it's kind of our thing we do without my wife or my sons.

LRSD rhymes with thirsty

"The only rational patriotism is loyalty to the nation all the time,
and loyalty to the government when it deserves it."

-- Mark Twain

"I intend to live forever, or die trying."
--Groucho Marx

"Long live the new flesh!"
-- Max Renn
Old 5 April 2009, 14:38
SOCNET Moderator

Great side dish:

Angel Hair Pasta
Garlic infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil*
Parmesan Cheese (the stuff in a jar works just fine as long as it is 100% grated Parmesan)
Fresh ground black peper
parsley flakes

Boil pasta until firm (al dente), drain.

Put the pasta back in the pot and coat liberally with garlic infused Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Serve portions of pasta, then top with parmesan cheese, grind black pepper to taste, and garnish with parsley flakes.

This side dish goes well with just about anything. It's flavors are subtle and will not steal the show from your entree. It is very simple to make, and you end up looking like some kind of gourmet or something.

All of the flavors work together in harmony, any omitted ingredient will significantly alter the flavor of the whole. I've tried several variations, nothing is as good as what is written above.

* Don't buy, make your own! Put 3 or 4 cloves (not bulbs) of peeled garlic into a bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and set aside for a week. For larger bottles of oil, add more garlic.

The 4 Soldierly Values: Candor, Courage, Competence, Commitment

Ekky Ekky Ekky Ekky p-Tang Zoo Boing mumble, mumble
Old 5 April 2009, 14:41
Scotty's Mommy

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baildog View Post

What a great idea! I have more t-shirts and coffee mugs than I'll use in a lifetime but some local spices...Do you have trouble with them coming through customs?
Old 5 April 2009, 14:41
Scoundrel

I chef a bit. I do a mean pork loin stuffed with prosciutto, spinach and parmesan. My butternut squash soup is outstanding as well. And risottos. This year for the super bowl, I did butternut squash soup with maple glazed pecans, sausage and fennel risotto and a sirloin and andouille chili. I also do ok with fish and game birds.

“it's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST
Old 5 April 2009, 14:42
Drawing my cutlass

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-M-R View Post
What a great idea! I have more t-shirts and coffee mugs than I'll use in a lifetime but some local spices...Do you have trouble with them coming through customs?
You shouldn't have trouble, I've brought spices back from India.
Old 5 April 2009, 14:50
Confirmed Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I did butternut squash soup with maple glazed pecans
The slightly sweet butter nuts are my favorite, I imagine the nut flavor would really enhance the dish. I am going to look that one up, sounds great.
Old 5 April 2009, 14:53
Been There Done That

Sunday pancake breakfasts are a given at my house. I also like to make fresh bread with my son when I'm home, at least once in between trips. He digs it and I'm a sucker for hot bread out of the oven with a pound of butter on each slice.

I'm trying to learn more about dutch oven/open fire cooking. I've made some mean campfire meals, but I need more experience. This year should go a long ways towards that. Also, at hunting camp last year I was the star performer as all the old timers were opening their cans of chili and I was marinading chicken breasts in mandarin oranges for some killer top-shelf hobo pies.
"I have often thought how much happier I should have been if instead of accepting the command, under such circumstances, I had taken my musket on my shoulder, and entered the ranks ; or, had retired to the backcountry and lived in a wigwam." George Washington

Ssgt. Jacob Frazier - RIP 29MAR03 Geresk
Old 5 April 2009, 15:05
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatriotnMore View Post
The slightly sweet butter nuts are my favorite, I imagine the nut flavor would really enhance the dish. I am going to look that one up, sounds great.
Here it is: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/r...glazed-bananas

Edited to add: this is very easy to make and it can all be done well ahead on the main meal. You just keep the soup hot on the stove and serving it ask you are pulling the main course off the heat.

“it's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

Last edited by Jimbo; 5 April 2009 at 15:10.
Old 5 April 2009, 15:07
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking View Post
I also like to make fresh bread with my son when I'm home, at least once in between trips. He digs it and I'm a sucker for hot bread out of the oven with a pound of butter on each slice.
Easiest recipe I've found (just requires a little planning ahead) and makes awesome bread:http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/08/dining/081mrex.html

Old 5 April 2009, 15:10
VP for Chicanery&Plunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-M-R View Post

So far I haven't. It's easier if they are pre-packaged, of course. I imagine if you are coming back from jamaica with a ziplock baggie full of "spices," they might want to ask you a few questions.

"If you want to be free...
then you can't be dumb"

- Bootsy Collins
Old 5 April 2009, 15:10
Clorox bearer for SOTB

I love to cook, especially grilling. The wife has complained about how the taste of my cooking is making her fat, so I guess I do it well. I enjoy a good porterhouse on the grill from time to time, but only after a day or so in the marinade, then slow grilled to a medium of doneness... Ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yeah.

If gun control laws controlled crime, we wouldn't need cops.
Quote:
Finally, I believe that punishing lawful gun owners by creating new, more onerous laws, and restricting Constitutionally guaranteed rights, when we already don't enforce the tens of thousands of gun laws we have on the books, is like beating your dog because the neighbor's dog shit in your yard.
"The Reaper"

Our new posting rules