Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Employment and Training > International Jobs

Old 25 June 2009, 12:20

Info on AMK9 detection services

I am looking for anyone who might have worked with or is currently working for American K9 Detection Services. I am trying to join the fight overseas in Afganistan. Being an Air Force veteran and now a law enforcement officer I would like to serve my country once again and help our fighting men and women by teaming up with a K9 and locating explosives to protect our troops. So if anyone has any information I am all ears.
Thanks F15 Crew Dog
Old 25 June 2009, 12:33

I was over in the box and we had a guy from AM K9 attached to us. I still keep in touch with him and I know he still keeps in touch with the company. What specifics do you want to know about the company? Have you spoken with the company already about a contract?
Old 25 June 2009, 12:39
Kinetic Problem Solver

I have guy working with me, that works for AMK9. From what he says, they are a good company to work for. PM me for further details.
Old 25 June 2009, 13:17
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

If you have the ability to obtain and maintain a DOD Secret clearance, and join with them, you can VERY much "join the fight." In fact, you can be quite within "the fight."

As stated above, they have some good people and some good dogs. Living conditions are not shabby. Pay is not what you might have been thinking. And like any company, they have the normal issues with turnover, management, etc....
Old 25 June 2009, 15:35
The Missing Link

Two of the handlers that I work with regularly are two of the best I've ever worked with. I don't know a lot about the company itself, but these guys stay with them.
Old 25 June 2009, 16:51
Administrator

We have a couple of members who work for them.

They swing by every so often and may be of help.

Good luck.
Old 25 June 2009, 18:27

Thanks for all the replies I guess I just need to know if the guys are taken care of I know they do alot of good things. I am just trying to get all my ducks in a row so to speak if you know what I mean. Thanks again for all of the insight and if anyone knows anyone there send them my way I would enjoy the oppurtunity to speak with them.
Old 3 July 2009, 20:25

Did a year with them. As far as K9 gigs go it was pretty good. Not you typical static gate work. You will be in the s#@t.

I still talk to the current Ops Manager in country and a few of the handlers downrange. PM me if there is anything specific you want to know.
Old 13 July 2009, 13:20
Confirmed User

Been offline for a bit and came upon this late-

I also worked for them for a year and have current contacts at the corporate office. Feel free to PM me with questions.
Old 20 November 2010, 19:51

Im going to work for AMK9 I leave soon for training. From what I see here they are a good company. Just a few ?s how are the handlers treated, is there enough dog food, how long does it take to get your weapons, what type of vehicles will be using, is the pay coming in on time.
Thank you in advance,
Mike Zepecki
Old 20 November 2010, 20:18
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido599
From what I see here they are a good company....
Looks like you haven't done much reading. All of the questions you posed have negative answers -- and I'm sure some positive ones. You could do always do a search....
Old 20 November 2010, 22:09

I have worked for AM-K9 for about 8 months. The pay is always on time and our dogs have plenty of science diet dog food.
The lastest word we got on the cjoa K-9 contract is that it is out of protest and they will be moving ahead on some major hiring. As far is Ronco is concerned I heard they are trying to get a six month extention on the rc south contract and they will not be a sub on the country wide contract
Old 2 January 2012, 23:59
Puppy Pusher

Just came across this old thread... Its amazing how much can change in a short amount of time...
Old 3 January 2012, 00:38

change for better or worse?
Old 3 January 2012, 11:00
Puppy Pusher

I think they underestimated how much more difficult it is dealing with DOS rather than DOD or GSA. They also seem to suffer when they are the sub rather than the prime.
Old 3 January 2012, 16:52

We have two guys here now at the location i am at that work for them. I can ask them what thier thoughts are on the company as well as the process.
Old 5 January 2012, 18:06

Ive been with AMK9 since July. No issues so far.
Old 19 January 2012, 00:04

Hi, yes I'm one of the newbees here. looking to come on board with the company and was wondering if someone who is presently employed can tell me approximately how long the hiring process took? Currently I'm employed in Florida as a LEO and been in the K9 Unit for 12 years, handled (3) dual purpose K9's, certified K9 team Instructor. Just trying to get an idea. Thanks
Old 19 January 2012, 07:14
Confirmed User

The longest process is the clearance...Mine took about 3 months to get a final..all the other stuff is quick from my experiance...make sure you have a tourist passport as well..I would suggest staying where your at until you have your visa and plane ticket in hand to deploy...take vacation to go to the training because you never know when you will deploy..I have been waiting since Oct to ship out..not any doing from my company, just visa problems in Iraq..good luck
Old 19 January 2012, 10:02

I am in process with AMK9 and here is my experience so far. Set my packet to the company, within 10 days I was flown to Lake Mary for the DoS Clearance class they do and am now waiting on my clearance to come back. Was informed from the Site Security Manager that the typical background/clearance from DoS is taking around 59 days. Unfortunately for me, I started the process the first week of December, so I got stuck with the holidays in the middle of my processing.

I agree with K-9Cop, do not quit your current job til you have a ticket in hand to go overseas. Take the vacation time for the training as I have spoken with several guys who have gone to training then are sitting state side waiting on orders to ship over with a minimal pay. AMK9 does not pay you the contract rate til you are on site in country.

Our new posting rules