Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Fitness

Old 8 August 2010, 20:08
As Above So Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfen-FL View Post
Anaerobic cardio.....

I have a .pdf file of body weight only workouts that will smoke your bags in 20min. or less.

...somewhere. :)

What is an example of anaerobic cardio? I thought anaerobic was the muscle working without oxygen. Isn't that also what causes latic acid and makes the muscle sore?
''Rise and rise again until lambs become lions'' from the movie Robinhood with Russell Crow
No good deed goes unpunished..look what they did to Robin Longstride
"I'm not afraid of terrorists, I am; however, afraid of the other employees" -me.
Old 8 August 2010, 21:18
Authorized Personnel

Oh yea, I'd already posted it here

Who's a bigger stud. The guy who loads a truck in a day, or the guy who can do it in two hours?

I submit that if your weight training workouts take an hour to an hour and a half, your intensity is too low for your body composition goals. Much of what is out there for 'weight training' is centered around the bodybuilding ideology where moving the weight is done with the main intention of getting that pretty horseshoe shape in the triceps or teardrop in the quads. We're practically force-fed it for all of our lives. Most people don't know any different until they cross paths with one of those kooky kool-aid drinking, 5finger wearing nutjobs called crossfitters.

You need a different perscription.

Consider this:
The formula for 'work' is Pounds (force exerted) times distance (range of motion) Work = Lbs x Dist

But that's not the whole picture. Power is decided by how long it takes to do the work:

Power = (Lbs x Dist) / Time

The longer it takes to do the work, the less power you are generating, the lesser the metabolic impact your get out of your work.

You can go to the gym and do 3 sets of front squats (95lbs), presses (95lbs) and pullups. At 21-15-9 repetitions each. And you could honestly call that a workout.

But if you combine the squats and presses into one movement, while standing underneath a pullup bar and put a clock on yourself you have "Fran". Whole 'nother kind of smoke.

Download the file, and try 'Nicole', take two motrin, stretch really good and tell us how you feel in the morning.
Old 8 August 2010, 21:25
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryfen-FL
Download the file, and try 'Nicole', take two motrin, stretch really good and tell us how you feel in the morning....
If you haven't worked out hard with the types of exercises like "Nicole", then I suggest taking it easy and not jumping hard into it. Build up over a week or two, depending upon your level of fitness. That way you don't get too sore or hurt, and then lose interest in that type of workout....
Old 8 August 2010, 21:27
Authorized Personnel

Oh, shit, thanks SOTB!

SCALE, SCALE, SCALE.

Start by cutting the time and / or load in HALF!
Old 20 February 2013, 07:01

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but I presume it's better than starting a new one.

With regard to Hypothyroidism, my research indicates that it is disqualifying for accession to all SOF units (I have checked for SF and AFSOC), despite the basic regulations stating that only Hypothyroidism unchecked by medication is disqualifying.

Can someone confirm the following thesis: Someone diagnosed with Hypothyroidism may be able to join the Army/Air Force, but will absolutely be ineligible for joining any SOF unit so long as they are in need of regular medications in form of synthetic thyroid?

Thank you for your assistance.
Old 4 June 2013, 18:14

Anyone?

Our new posting rules