Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Technology and Communications

Old 8 December 2010, 15:46
Confirmed User

US Army DTMS

Has anyone used this system at the CO, BN or BCT/BDE Level? If so what do you like or dislike about it.
Old 9 December 2010, 20:29
Confirmed User

I just started using it about a month ago at company level, so I might not be the most qualified person to comment, but my initial take is that it seems like what I feel is typical for Army software. Slow, annoying to use, and with a poorly designed interface (it is probably a pretty old program, I guess).

That said, if you have the man hours to put all the information into it, it does serve to put a lot of information all in one place. It just seems like a shame that all the work putting data into it does not seem to be rewarded with a particularly flexible or adaptable way of working with that information, at least from what I have been able to figure out so far. Specifically, the reports feature seems to be pretty weak and difficult to filter and sort the information in a way that you would expect of a database.

My 2 cents, probably not even worth that much.
Old 10 December 2010, 11:28
Confirmed User

Thanks for the input- I am working on a system that compliments DTMS but have no "boots on the ground" user input. Is it being used thoughout your BN?
Old 10 December 2010, 11:30
Confirmed User

Add-on to my last question- How is using DTMS being directed by your CoC? Is is being used along with conventional ppt training slides and excel spread sheets? I appreciate your insight.
Old 10 December 2010, 12:10
Confirmed User

I can get better answers for you next week. It is Friday in the NG, hardly anyone is around to ask.

My understanding is that DTMS use is pushed down to all the units in the state, one of many programs that we are told to use that have overlapping uses (and of which almost none talk to one another). I would guess that the intent is so that our higher headquarters can "check up" on us and make sure we are tracking training data the way we are supposed to. I do know that we are mandated to write our monthly training schedules in DTMS and then send them up for approval at squadron(battalion) level. Whether anyone actually looks at any of the other data, who knows.

As a for instance, weapons qualification. We use DTMS to track it, but we also have to enter it separately into RCAS, and then on top of that, there is a Brigade level database that tracks it as well, but I don't know where that information is pulled from. I know that the BDE web database is where the COC is pulling most of their metrics from.

To further complicate matters, DTMS does not accurately reflect who is on our UMR. Therefore, we have to keep separate and parallel lists for things like who needs a PT test, because some of the people that show up on the DTMS report aren't in our unit, and it is missing some people who are.

Like I said, it is slow and old. The amount of work that goes into keeping it updated would make a lot more sense if it was a one shot/one kill solution, but since we have to track all the same information in other programs anyway, its utility is limited. That said, I am still learning it, so I am trying to figure out how to make it work better for what we need it for.
Old 10 December 2010, 16:33
Confirmed User

Hey Frmrcatamount - thank you for this info it is actually very useful- if you could ask your buddies in other COs or in the S3 shop next week the info would be much appreciated. Have a great weekend!

Our new posting rules