SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network

SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network (https://socnet.com/index.php)
-   Members Who Gave All (https://socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=262)
-   -   Cass, long time SOCNET member, has passed (https://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=127548)

GirlwithaGlock 4 July 2018 20:31

Rest in peace, Cass.

The Fat Guy 4 July 2018 22:09

You were what every American should strive to be. Thank you, again, for keeping me straight.

DCH 18 July 2018 02:03

Miss your presence around here Sir.

Rest easy.

Linda1961 6 August 2018 05:48

I think of Cass a lot. I really miss him. I miss our emails and phone calls.

Cass I will never forget you.

Cass was a total stud but humble. He lived a life you only read about in books.

I only hope I live half the life he did but most importantly I hope I make him proud of the choices I make in my life.

SHHINT 22 August 2018 22:17

I was in Visalia a few weeks ago for work and had a drink in remembrance. An original.

sierra11b 29 January 2019 21:37

I hate to remind all those by Cass's passing by bumping this thread, but thought it was worth noting he helped me vet (or lack thereof) some potential new hires during my then-role with a major hospitality company as part of their efforts during my Chefy gig.

He will be missed.

just11b 29 January 2019 23:18

[QUOTE=sierra11b;1058778382]
He will be missed.[/QUOTE]

Yes he is.

fy0834 30 January 2019 11:32

He shared with me his troubled childhood and the destructible road he was on as a youth... until he was pointed to the Navy as his alternative to jail.
Nice humble gentleman...

BionicDamien 30 January 2019 12:25

If anyone doesn't already know Cass did an interview with Don Shipley on YouTube some time back, I remember just stumbling upon it. Really neat. RIP Cass.

DC 30 January 2019 12:44

[QUOTE=BionicDamien;1058778493]If anyone doesn't already know Cass did an interview with Don Shipley on YouTube some time back, I remember just stumbling upon it. Really neat. RIP Cass.[/QUOTE]

Would love a link if you have one.

RIP Frogman. Giant among men.

Shadow 30 January 2019 13:01

[QUOTE=DC;1058778499]

Would love a link if you have one.

RIP Frogman. Giant among men.[/QUOTE]

Here ya go:

[URL="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V75DrCaRuY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5V75DrCaRuY[/URL]

DiveBoss 23 February 2019 13:28

Thanks for that YouTube link.
In the latter years of his life, Mr G was gracious enough to allow me to stop in and have short visits during various of my professional meanderings up and down the West Coast for whatever job or another. He was a good man and I was blessed to have known him.
Hearing that interview brought a lot of emotional and nostalgic grins to my face.
Continue to Rest in Peace, Mr Garrett

GirlwithaGlock 3 July 2019 23:23

Keep resting in peace, Cass. You are not forgotten.

I always thought that there was no coincidence that you chose to leave us on this date.

Silverbullet 4 July 2019 07:51

He's missed.

BionicDamien 4 July 2019 10:35

RIP Cass! Crazy how fast time flies.

Mars 4 July 2019 13:10

May you continue to Rest In Peace, Cass. You have not been forgotten brother....

yrot 3 September 2019 15:06

So many things come to mind...

One in a billion, literally
A giant among giants
Both a dedicated servant and a great and compassionate leader
He made the world a better place for having been in it; enriched the lives of everyone who came in contact with him and we are all better having “known” him
He left his mark on the world - the size of the Grand Canyon
Our loss is VahallaÂ’s gain and I know heÂ’ll make his mark there too

RIP, Cass. You will be greatly missed until we join you on the other side.

Linda1961 12 January 2021 05:40

I finally went through my contacts today to clean them up including my husband. Found Cass’ contact info. These 2 contacts made me cry.

I miss my husband and Cass so much. I just plain out miss my husband and miss my weekly conversations with Cass.

GirlwithaGlock 19 March 2021 08:46

Happy birthday, Cass. I miss your jokes and your wisdom.

ABigDoor 5 July 2021 01:19

5 years gone for this legend, too. RIP Cass.

Chimo 5 July 2021 22:29

Never forgotten sir.

PJ1 18 August 2021 23:16

Hero

fy0834 19 August 2021 08:34

Yep, a local treasure.

Frog 12 September 2021 12:12

Picture of Cass

1 Attachment(s)
Ran across this - It's Ken outside of the UDT building in Coronado - UDT Operator Ken Garret posing near handmade sign that reflects (all) Naval Combat Demolition Unit / Underwater Demolition Team Battle Credits during World War II, at the UDT Quarter Deck entrance - USN Amphibious Base. Note proximity of cars on the Hwy to the UDT Base of Operations. That narrow two lane road you see is the old Silver Strand Hwy 75.

Pacific Headquarters UDT-1 / UDT-3 Admin and Training Quonset Huts. This was the total building structures, two other Quonset Huts exist outside the frame of the picture.

Circa: 1951 / Peak of the Korean War
Note the Command signs resemble broken “planks”. UDTs had been decommissioned at the conclusion of WW2 save a very small contingency skeleton crew of hairy-chested double cap crimpin’ Frogmen/Naked Warriors who basically recreated the Teams from scratch to fight a whole new style of unconventional warfare, starting with UDTs 1 and 3 on in Coronado, and Teams 2 and 4 in Little Creek. I speculate that the broken planks represent the UDTers short break in service and that they were (completely new) commands.

UDT-1 and 3 morphed into UDT-11 and 12, UDT-2 and 4 turned into UDT-21 and 22 after the Korean War.

CPTAUSRET 12 September 2021 13:44

[QUOTE=Frog;1058939268]Ran across this - It's Ken outside of the UDT building in Coronado - UDT Operator Ken Garret posing near handmade sign that reflects (all) Naval Combat Demolition Unit / Underwater Demolition Team Battle Credits during World War II, at the UDT Quarter Deck entrance - USN Amphibious Base. Note proximity of cars on the Hwy to the UDT Base of Operations. That narrow two lane road you see is the old Silver Strand Hwy 75.

Pacific Headquarters UDT-1 / UDT-3 Admin and Training Quonset Huts. This was the total building structures, two other Quonset Huts exist outside the frame of the picture.

Circa: 1951 / Peak of the Korean War
Note the Command signs resemble broken “planks”. UDTs had been decommissioned at the conclusion of WW2 save a very small contingency skeleton crew of hairy-chested double cap crimpin’ Frogmen/Naked Warriors who basically recreated the Teams from scratch to fight a whole new style of unconventional warfare, starting with UDTs 1 and 3 on in Coronado, and Teams 2 and 4 in Little Creek. I speculate that the broken planks represent the UDTers short break in service and that they were (completely new) commands.

UDT-1 and 3 morphed into UDT-11 and 12, UDT-2 and 4 turned into UDT-21 and 22 after the Korean War.[/QUOTE]`
Nice picture. Thanks for the history.

Fred 12 September 2021 14:02

Thanks Frog, Ken was a treasure. RIP

GirlwithaGlock 12 September 2021 14:46

So cool, thank you so much for sharing the photo.

CA SGT 12 September 2021 14:51

I sure miss having lunch and listening to his stories. He also helped me with insight into the Alzheimer’s my pop was going through, as his wife had it also.

Mars 12 September 2021 14:55

I still miss his quick wit. His absence is surely felt here….

Gray Rhyno 12 September 2021 15:04

I was thinking of Cass just this morning. [I]The Frogmen[/I] was on Fox Classic Movies this am and I managed to get most of it watched before I had to leave for church. Can't watch it without thinking of him and the men of his generation.