View Single Post
Old 29 June 2022, 16:14

RIP
Thank you for your service to this great country.

Yesterday, I was perusing another site where a member posted that he was in the hospital.

I thought he was from the same city my family is from but I did research to confirm it...

I thought this was great:

Williams was drawn to the Marines by their dress blue uniforms that he had seen several men in his community wear. He disliked the Army's brown wool uniform that he considered "... the ugliest thing in town ... I decided I did not want to be in that thing. I want to be in those dress blues." Aside from the appearance of the uniform, Williams knew nothing of the Marines. Standing 5-foot-6, when Williams tried to enlist in the Marine Corps in 1942, he was told he was too short for service.

For those that are intrigued or interested:

Named in his honor:

Hershel "Woody" Williams VA Medical Center at 1540 Spring Valley Dr, Huntington, WV 25704.

Hershel "Woody" Williams VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) Post 7048 in Fairmont, West Virginia; 1310 Morgantown Ave. Fairmont WV 26554.

West Virginia National Guard Armory in Fairmont, West Virginia

Bridge at Barboursville, West Virginia

Athletic field at Huntington, West Virginia.

USS Hershel "Woody" Williams (ESB-4), a Mobile Landing Platform built by General Dynamics NASSCO at their San Diego shipyard. In August 2016, Williams was joined by Edward Byers at the ship's keel laying ceremony.
On March 7, 2020, Williams was present for the ship commissioning ceremony.[22]

After World War II, Williams accepted a job as a Veterans Affairs counselor and retired with thirty-three years service.