SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 7 April 2011, 12:40
Mr. Tanner
Visitor

Lawrence N. Freedman

Just finished reading a book that just briefly mentions the exploits of Mr. Freedman. Has anyone out there had the pleasure of meeting this remarkable man?
Old 7 April 2011, 13:00
Been There Done That

Sure have....AKA "Super Jew"

He was the basic skills div SGM when i was on the commo committee, 88-90 +/-, he even drove his Harley down to Camp Bullis TX (San Antonio area) to take a "road trip" to check training. Also drove his motor home down to Hurlburt Field to drop by also......even cooked the steaks

I was saddened to hear of his incident in Somalia.

RIP Larry
Old 8 April 2011, 05:42
Authorized Personnel

My father-inlaw was very good friends with him. The few times Ive heard him speak about him it was always very fondly. He saw him a few weeks before he left for Somalia, and half-heartedly tried to talk him out of it. He said he was having some personal problems and he looked forward to some time away.

Glad to hear he is spoken highly of in the book. My father-inlaw will be happy to hear that.
Old 8 April 2011, 09:10
Mr. Tanner
Visitor

Apparently your father-inlaw wasn't the only one to try and talk him out of it. In the book there's mention of someone having a talk with him before he left. The book is titled "The Book Of Honor" by Ted Gup. Although the author's bias towards the CIA is apparent throughout the book, it was an excellent read. The book ends with the story of Mr. Freedman in Somalia.

Our new posting rules