Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Marine Corps Special Operations > MarSoc

Old 24 July 2009, 22:58
Psi Brr
Visitor

Major Zembiec, Rest in Peace Sir. You were a giant amid your comrades.
Old 24 July 2009, 23:48
Confirmed User

RIP Major.
Old 28 December 2009, 11:28
Confirmed User

There's a helipad named in Major Zembiec's honour in Camp Victory, Baghdad. I used to go by it all the time, and stopped a couple of times to read the information on the memorial board at the edge of the pad. I was always fascinated by what I read (fascinated might not be the right word, but hopefully you get my meaning), and the thing that most stuck in my mind was the fact that below his name was written 'The Lion of Fallujah'. I obviously didn't know the man, but I have remained in awe at reading that (and again, seeing it here), it must have been a true testament to the man and his actions to be known by that name.

However, I do find it a little disrespectful that a mere concreted area for landing helicopters on has been named in his honour - I appreciate the idea, but it doesn't seem paricularly fitting for him, let alone anyone who has been killed in action, so I was pleased to see the letter regarding the naming of a ship after him. I just personally feel that people, such as him, and any others who have given their lives, should be remembered in a manner more fitting.

As an example: two British soldiers were killed in Belfast towards the end of the last century, in a very public and brutal manner - if I remember correctly, their naked and somewhat mutilated bodies were later dumped outside one of the barracks. What have they had named in their honour? A large blue metal-faced building used to store spare gym and fitness equipment, at a training regiment. I think it's disgusting.

It's a complex subject, with different ways of looking at it, I suppose in hindsight, people's lives and actions shouldn't be quantified by the size of the structure named after them - what makes one person's sacrifice greater than another, that one man should have an aircraft carrier named after him, while another gets a DFAC named in his honour. I suppose however small it is, their name is still displayed there, and people walk by, and may not even notice at first, but their name remains in their mind, and later they may stop to find out more, as I did with the helipad. It's safe to say, that Major Zembiec's name is firmly planted in my mind, and I guess that is the idea.

Sorry to have digressed somewhat, it's just something I feel strongly about, and thought you all might be interested to hear about the helipad.

Rest In Peace.
Old 31 August 2010, 07:50

For anyone in the DC area

Zembiec Pool to be dedicated
Henderson Hallís Zembiec Pool will be officially dedicated to the memory of Marine Maj. Douglas A. Zembiec Thursday, Sept. 9 at a noon ceremony. The pool will be closed to patrons that morning during ceremony preparation, but will reopen for swimming at 2 p.m.
Major Zembiec deployed from an assignment at Henderson Hall and was killed in action in Baghdad, Iraq, May 11, 2007.
Everyone is invited to attend to honor this Marine. A reception will follow the ceremony.

"Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." - Maj. Doug Zembiec
Old 6 May 2011, 11:27
No Title

Great to see Captain Matthew Lampert of Company C awarded the 1st Annual Zembiec Award last night for outstanding leadership in the USMC Special Forces Command. The award was presented by Major Zembiec's parents. Doug was the third platoon commander in my company before transferring to 2d Force. His care for his men, sense of humor and intelligence was one and the same with his courage.
Old 6 May 2011, 15:56
Odin's Underling

RIP Sir!

Quote:
TURD POSer Biondi: My name likely wonít be listed, as I led a covert operation of wet-teams.
Old 21 September 2011, 23:33

Ltcol Rodney Richardson K2

Did anyone have the honor to serve with Rod Richardson at B co. 1st Recon Bn. I did when he was a Capt Bad ASS, He retired as a Ltcol then after 911 KIA by IED in Bagdad Oct 6 2006 as a manager for PMC Falcon. He was a great man.
Old 21 September 2011, 23:44
Loving Life

RIP Sir.
Old 4 October 2011, 22:36
On the Extract Bird

Rest in Peace Marine, Godspeed!
Old 11 October 2011, 06:10

Marine's Marine

This is a long time coming, but I ran into a fellow Recon Marine today and we were discussing Maj. Zembiec. I went through ARS Ft. Story with him and will never forget his work ethic or demeanor. He ALWAYS had a "Liberty Brief" for us in the class and was quick to share one of his many quotes on leadership, being a man, being a warrior, etc. He will be sorely missed and the Corps lost a great leader on that day in Baghdad. RIP Doug...the streets of Heaven are much safer now with you on patrol.
Old 12 October 2011, 14:05
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHO3HOTEL View Post
Did anyone have the honor to serve with Rod Richardson at B co. 1st Recon Bn. I did when he was a Capt Bad ASS, He retired as a Ltcol then after 911 KIA by IED in Bagdad Oct 6 2006 as a manager for PMC Falcon. He was a great man.
I had a Capt. Richardson as a CO at A Co., 1st Recon Bn., from '85 to '86 when I left. I don't know if it was the same person.
Old 12 October 2011, 18:06
Been There Done That

Rest in Peace Major Zembiec. Thank you for your service and sacrifice for this nation.
Here is an story in Washington Post to honor this fallen Marine.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...051602860.html

Picture is Major Zembiec's funeral at Arlington.

Last edited by agonyea; 22 July 2013 at 19:49.
Old 1 November 2011, 22:05
SgtMoe
Visitor

Rest in Peace Marine.....Semper Fi
Old 19 December 2011, 00:21

Two requests

1) I'd appreciate any assistance with identifying the breast insignia depicted at the bottom of the graphic here:

Maj. Zembiec's decorations

FWIW, the referenced site's list of Doug's decorations appears to be incomplete.

2) What's the status of the petition to name one of the next Arleigh Burke class after him?

Thanks!
Old 19 December 2011, 09:15
Administrator

It's the MFF badge. He's also a combatant diver.

I don't know the answer to the other question. First I heard of it.
Old 19 December 2011, 10:33

Thanks, I wasn't aware there was a separate badge. Granted most of my experience is dated at this point, but I don't recall having seen it before. Is it typically authorized for wear on the Marine uniform?

Regarding the second matter, please see this post:

Petition
Old 20 December 2011, 13:53
Psalm 91:2

RIP Sir. Prayers for family and friends.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 20 December 2011, 23:12
Authorized Personnel

Wasn't here when this first appeared. God bless him. RIP.
Old 7 May 2012, 00:29
BTDT

"Whoever does not have the stomach for this fight, let him depart.Give him money to speed his departure as we wish not to die in that man's company.Whoever lives past today and comes home safely will rouse himself every year on this day, show his neighbor his scars, and tell embellished stories of all their great feats of battle.These stories will teach his son, and from this day until the end of the world, we shall be remembered. We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; for whoever has shed his blood with me shall be my brother."

Semper Fi Marine, you are not forgotten.
Old 7 May 2012, 09:10
Confirmed User

Rest in Peace Major. Thank you for your service Sir. Prayers out to your family and friends.

Semper Fi.
Sincerely,
Stingray

Our new posting rules