SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 5 June 2019, 16:46
Problem Solver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbullet View Post

...They could have charged him with sodomy and I wouldn't care...
Considering how badly he fucked those kids over, maybe they should have...

"Oderint, dum metuant" ("Let them hate, so long as they fear") - Caligula

"Those that know don't talk and those that talk don't know."
Old 5 June 2019, 19:45
RIP SOTB, Cass, Hognose

[QUOTE=bobmueller;1058798182] When does an officer become a caregiver?

From now on, starting with this guy, when he's an SRO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmueller View Post
When is that relationship established?
When he/she is on shift at that fixed location.

Quote:
Are all SROs now considered caregivers?
That's the way it would have to go for this standard to fly, right?

Quote:
Are all officers standing a fixed post assignment now caregivers?

Probably not. Schools will wind up being a special case. Because the children.

Quote:
I think it's going to fail on the "duty to protect" aspect.
Well, the USSC decision on that is an overall one IIRC. Sort of a "They're on patrol" or "they're being dispatched in response to a call" thing, as opposed to a "SRO is on site" thing. I don't see a suit succeeding based on "on site" alone, I think everyone agree's the standard here is going to be, "Did he do anything? Did he try to do anything? Failure to run to the sound of the gun will be the determining factor.

It will be interesting to know what happens to the lawsuits against LVMPD for the other "Coward of the County" case, where the officer just hung out in the stairwell the whole time. If the standard is going to be "no legal duty to protect" when he's standing right fucking there, that is BS and I don't see it being considered to be the same as the SCOTUS "no duty to protect" thing. If it is that's absolute BS.

"Let us return to old times and that will be progress." - Verdi
Old 5 June 2019, 20:23
Been There Done That

Hey, I need a LEO to babysit the grandkids tomorrow since they are now considered “caregivers.”

I want this f-stick to live a very long life so everyone can point, laugh, shame, and call him a coward.

I will be pleasantly surprised if he pays for his actions/inactions.
Old 6 June 2019, 10:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
I think that is what irked people, after the disgusting fact he did nothing, but then was retiring with a pension that exceeds most people’s salary. A police officer earns his salary and also earns his pension, in this case most believe he earned neither.
It hit the media after he retired that his pension was $100k or so and people were super pissed. Can't find the article now, but I did find one that says his monthly pension - $8,702 - is at stake now because he has been charged.

Dude's a shithead and deserves nothing.
Old 6 June 2019, 12:05
Did...did I do that?

His pension is at stake because of the felony child neglect charges. I think the culpable negligence charges are misdemeanors, and I know the perjury is.
Old 6 June 2019, 12:34
Custom User Title

I don't know Scot Peterson but I know his type. Fuck him and let his fate be a warning to the others.
Old 6 June 2019, 13:41
Sub Rosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massgrunt View Post
I think they're going to argue that due to his position he had a "special relationship" with the kids which would be outside the scope of that Supreme Court case which applied to society at large.
This. He was the assigned school resource officer. His specific assigned task tied into the special relationship with the kids. Argument is similar to corrections officer or an officer that has secured custody of a detainee. At that point, the officer is responsible for the safety and security of his detainee or in this situation the school children and adults in the school, and is held accountable due to his specific assigned task. The same school resource officer does not have the same responsibility nor liability beyond the school's physical location. The sad fact is that had he merely entered up the stairs in a minimal effort to confront the shooter and still failed to stop the shooter, he'd probably not face these charges, but, he didn't even do that, hence this situation.
Old 6 June 2019, 14:47
BTDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous View Post
Hey, I need a LEO to babysit the grandkids tomorrow since they are now considered “caregivers.”
I agree. This caregiver crap is "making shit fit" - not a fan of it, even when a douchebag could get hammered - cuz then the next time, it may be a good egg getting fried instead.

But if the gov wants you, this is what they do - "Can I see your 1040, Mr. Capone?..."

"It's A Long Way, To 61,000 If You Want To Rock And Roll"

"Team Apocalypse"
COVID-19 Deaths: 14,784 (NY )

Economy Wasn't Destroyed For:
2017/2018 Influenza 61,000 KIA
1957 "Asian Flu" 70,000 KIA
'68-'72 "Hong Kong Flu" 100,000 KIA

2017/2018 Health Care System "Shock": 45 million people getting sick with influenza, 21 million people going to a health care provider, with 810,000 hospitalizations.

twitter.com/AlexBerenson

Unemployed Americans: 16,600,000 So Far

Old 6 June 2019, 14:51
Living The Grunt Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
...This caregiver crap is "making shit fit"...
I have a problem with "massaging" a law to loosen it to the point where "it fits." It can be massaged so much that it "breaks" and then you have horrendous precedence being set. If it doesn't fit on its face value -- leave it alone and move on. Don't work to make it happen.
Old 6 June 2019, 15:09
Confirmed User

After Peterson arrived at the building and heard the gunfire, there were 11 more individuals shot. Charging appears to match up with when he arrived and had the opportunity and duty to take action.

He was not charged for all 34 just those when he had opportunity and duty.

“Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Old 6 June 2019, 15:28
Did...did I do that?

I think he was just charged for the minors, not for the students who were over 18.
Old 6 June 2019, 15:39
Custom User Title

I'm not done reading the warrant but it says out a very thorough case. Oh, and he was a certified "Active Killer" trainer.
Old 6 June 2019, 16:43
Been There Done That

Quote:
I'm not done reading the warrant but it says out a very thorough case. Oh, and he was a certified "Active Killer" trainer.
That's like being a Tan Belt instructor in MCMAP right?
Old 6 June 2019, 19:19
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGH0922 View Post
That's like being a Tan Belt instructor in MCMAP right?
LMAO that can be a very apt comparison. Although unlike MCMAP, an active shooter/killer/threat instructor at least has been educated on the facts. There are quotes from his training in the warrant and it's right in line with current best practices.

I can't believe MCMAP still exists.
Old 6 June 2019, 19:48
Important nobody

Dont the teachers have a responsibility as “caregivers” too? Or am I way offbase? Whats to prevent all of them from being charged?
Old 6 June 2019, 20:14
Did...did I do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdjohn View Post
Dont the teachers have a responsibility as “caregivers” too? Or am I way offbase? Whats to prevent all of them from being charged?
I asked the same question. If he's a caregiver, then so is every adult who was there that day. The only reason they're charging him this way is to get his pension.

I've said before I thought he was a coward. But I don't think you can show a special relationship to the kids who were killed and wounded.

The perjury charge is only a misdemeanor, so that won't get his pension.

Even if he's found guilty, I think this will fail on appeal due to Warren v District of Columbia "duty to protect" grounds.
Old 6 June 2019, 21:02
Custom User Title

Are the teachers also armed police officers specifically charged with protecting the kids?
Old 6 June 2019, 21:13
Authorized Personnel

Quote:
I think this is what will fuck him. There’s an argument to say if he’d never been trained for that situation you can’t expect him to just “do” something he’s never been “shown” how to. Especially under what I would call “combat.”

Bet he told all his buddies at the bar he was “active killer” certified.

I’ve heard those that don’t talk do and those that talk don’t so much do...
Old 6 June 2019, 21:19
Confirmed User

I posted this in the other thread when I should have posted here:

If he is culpable of negligence, then what is the culpability of those officers who also didn't engage. Was not it the policy of the SO not to engage or 'may' engage? I don't have any sympathy for what is about to befall Peterson but it seems like some others should 'swing' with him or is it the fact that his position/duties as a SRO demanded action on his part. Additionally, if the SO policy is to not actively engage does this not provide him with a defense to the charges?

So if other officers were also trained and did not engage does that make them criminally culpable? How about the school personnel who underwent training and did noting? No matter how good the plan the human is the weakest link when the rubber meets the road.
Old 6 June 2019, 21:22
Been There Done That

Quote:
Are the teachers also armed police officers specifically charged with protecting the kids?
One does not need to be armed to be a protector of the kids (caregiver).

This is a very slippery cliff I don’t think they thought about.

Our new posting rules