SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > The Lounge

Old 29 March 2020, 07:21
Never to old to learn

could not get the link to work
Old 29 March 2020, 07:21
Authorized Personnel

Boats are doing the social distancing thing now. Have to keep 50 feet apart and no more then 10 passengers. You know it's bad when they are shutting sand bar hangouts, damn it it's Florida, the puppies need the UV.
Old 29 March 2020, 07:26
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS11 View Post
Cuomo is all about states' rights all of a sudden.
Well Cuomo has said those that believe in the 2A are not welcome in his state. So now he is complaining when other states say New Yorkers are not welcome in their states? Piss on New York.
Old 29 March 2020, 08:11
Confirmed User

Charleston shut the beaches down, and the city down to one visit per day
Old 29 March 2020, 08:12
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
So when is it supposed to get bad? This thing isn't even tickling "OMG Swine Flu!!!!!" 's ball sack yet.

Not surprised that the Leftists are crying "we're all gonna die" - 'cuz "AR-15's"...
I'm at home, so don't have all the numbers with me. A couple points. I think we just went over 2000 deaths, and we went from 1,000 to 2,000 in the matter of a few days. If that is the case, that is a logarithmic jump. Of course we're only into one week or so of the whole mandatory quarantine bullshit, so we will know how well it is working in another week or so.

My second point would be in states with low numbers It probably is not that big a deal, and generally I can see why people do not think that it's that big of a deal. The media is schizophrenic, it puts out that 99% of people will be mildly symptomatic, but then all the headlines are leading with information about death. The media is all over the place with this thing, but it's certainly driving the narrative.

My third point would be, urban clusters are screwed, and if you look at the numbers of both infected, hospitalized, and the fatality case rate by urban center I think (again all of my stuff is at work) statistically it is presenting worse than the flu. That said, that's in what, three cities? Maybe four.

I am totally on board with this being overplayed, and totally annoyed with the heavy-handed draconian measures thrown at us by the government. I am ready to get on the other side of it for a whole bunch of reasons.
Old 29 March 2020, 08:30
Been There Done That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildoc View Post
..My third point would be, urban clusters are screwed, and if you look at the numbers of both infected, hospitalized......
Over half of NC's cases detected so far are in the greater metropolitan areas of Charlotte, Durham and Raleigh.

Hey, down here in Fayetteville the wife scored a 9 pack of toilet paper at Food Lion yesterday. I think that's good news.
Old 29 March 2020, 08:34
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post
Over half of NC's cases detected so far are in the greater metropolitan areas of Charlotte, Durham and Raleigh.

Hey, down here in Fayetteville the wife scored a 9 pack of toilet paper at Food Lion yesterday. I think that's good news.
You're absolutely right, this holds true even for smaller urban centers, but so far neither my institution, UNC, nor Wake Med have been overwhelmed. We are all getting people trickling in as in patients and in the ICU.
Old 29 March 2020, 08:36
Drawing my cutlass

Pretty good interactive site.

coronavirus DOT 1point3acres DOT com/en

I refuse to participate.

The Oatmeal
Quote:
...it could be raining pu$$y and troops will complain and blame the leadership for not providing an equal ration of a$$holes

Billy L-Bach
Quote:
In Special Forces we had a saying: "Work hard in silence, let your success do the talking."

Tracy

Last edited by Silverbullet; 29 March 2020 at 09:10. Reason: Killed the active link
Old 29 March 2020, 09:00
Hard to Kill

I don't think Dems see it as a threat as much as they see it as a tool to victimize their consituency.
Old 29 March 2020, 09:10
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAPete View Post

Same here in GA. Clustered around ATL, much like it'd look if you were looking at the DEM strongholds.
Probably see similar in all states that have larger metro areas.
Old 29 March 2020, 09:15
I reckon so. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole crusty bastard View Post
Boats are doing the social distancing thing now. Have to keep 50 feet apart and no more then 10 passengers. You know it's bad when they are shutting sand bar hangouts, damn it it's Florida, the puppies need the UV.
I saw that. Folks on the fishing/boat FB pages were making memes about it and also ,complaining, but it's true.
Further they've closed some counties boat ramps, from what I hear. Genius. Now a boater has to drive elsewhere and then be cram-jammed at other local boat ramps. JFG. Just fucking genius.

That sailboat in my future is getting closer.
Old 29 March 2020, 09:28
Freelancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by leopardprey View Post
Well Cuomo has said those that believe in the 2A are not welcome in his state. So now he is complaining when other states say New Yorkers are not welcome in their states? Piss on New York.
First they came for the New Yorkers....
Old 29 March 2020, 09:32
BTDT

Quote:
I'm at home, so don't have all the numbers with me. A couple points. I think we just went over 2000 deaths, and we went from 1,000 to 2,000 in the matter of a few days. If that is the case, that is a logarithmic jump. Of course we're only into one week or so of the whole mandatory quarantine bullshit, so we will know how well it is working in another week or so.
If it's less than 60K, Panic = Fail.

Quote:
My third point would be, urban clusters are screwed, and if you look at the numbers of both infected, hospitalized, and the fatality case rate by urban center I think (again all of my stuff is at work) statistically it is presenting worse than the flu. That said, that's in what, three cities? Maybe four.
When you get the exact data that I can check against Influenza (at any time, but we'll use 2017/2018 since we didn't go full retard for that massive kill off), post it up.

WHO lauds lockdown-ignoring Sweden as a ‘model’ for countries going forward.

By Jackie Salo, NY Post

April 29, 2020 | 3:24pm

Next...

Old 29 March 2020, 09:44
BTDT

Urban Clusters!!!!! Just like Influenza...

2014/2015 Influenza Season (Study only went to 2016)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OMGDEATH.jpg (32.8 KB, 343 views)

WHO lauds lockdown-ignoring Sweden as a ‘model’ for countries going forward.

By Jackie Salo, NY Post

April 29, 2020 | 3:24pm

Next...

Old 29 March 2020, 10:08
Reverse Apache Master

I'm a bit surprised (in a good way) to see this mentality from Sweden, of all places. No idea if it's the right move or not for this situation, but I definitely like the mentality.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...and-carries-on

Quote:
While every other country in Europe has been ordered into ever more stringent coronavirus lockdown, Sweden has remained the exception. Schools, kindergartens, bars, restaurants, ski resorts, sports clubs, hairdressers: all remain open, weeks after everything closed down in next door Denmark and Norway.

Universities have been closed, and on Friday, the government tightened the ban on events to limit them to no more than 50 people. But if you develop symptoms, you can still go back to work or school just two days after you feel better. If a parent starts showing symptoms, they’re allowed to continue to send their children to school.

It has only been in the past couple of days that the death toll has started to increase significantly, rising by a third in a single day on Thursday and Friday, with 92 people now dead and 209 in intensive care. As he announced the tighter restrictions on Friday, the prime minister, Stefan Löfven, warned that the coming weeks and months would be tough.

But he defended the decision not to implement the tighter restrictions seen in Denmark, France and the UK. “We all, as individuals, have to take responsibility. We can’t legislate and ban everything,” he said. “It is also a question of commonsense behaviour.”

Anders Tegnell, Sweden’s state epidemiologist, believes it is counterproductive to bring in the tightest restrictions at too early a stage. “As long as the Swedish epidemic development stays at this level,” he tells the Observer, “I don’t see any big reason to take measures that you can only keep up for a very limited amount of time.”

Giving the enemy a boner is half the battle. --Jungle Recon

Last edited by KS11; 29 March 2020 at 10:17.
Old 29 March 2020, 10:25
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
I don't think Dems see it as a threat as much as they see it as a tool to victimize their consituency.
Bingo. X1000
Old 29 March 2020, 10:42
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polypro View Post
Urban Clusters!!!!! Just like Influenza...

2014/2015 Influenza Season (Study only went to 2016)
Okay and I'm not trying to be obtuse, maybe I'm not properly caffeinated, but I'm not seeing your point. Actually your point reinforces my point which reinforces everything we know about disease transmission and that it goes up in urban centers.

Already we are starting to see in these urban centers a nod towards saturation in the hospitals. The pace of which does not match the pace of influenza admissions, since all of this has been within two to three week..

Again we will know more in a week.
Old 29 March 2020, 11:08
Confirmed User

The part I don't believe is that we don't have large stockpiles of PPE somewhere, especially since it's coming out that we sent 16 tons to China in February, and Canada did as well. I also think they're calling up the IRR not to assist, but basically to isolate them so it doesn't affect military readiness. The same reason most police officers are only responding to life & death situations, a matter of readiness. I think the lethality of it doesn't justify the shutdown of everyday life. I've also been deemed *essential* & what if I've seen is more people out than ever in small groups. Instead of being able to go to the grocery once a week the panic has driven people to go every few days which maximizes exposure to it. Think about how drastically they could drop the spread if they issued everyone an n95 mask with that $1200 check, a reusable one that you could clean. To me this is definitely about pushing everyone into panic mode to see how draconian they can get, & what they can get away with passing just like after 911. Also, which politician is going throw themselves on the sword, & say things can go back to normal? How long does it last?
Old 29 March 2020, 11:33
Nurse Ratched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaclerk View Post
Can any of our Docs, RNs or EMTs serving in emergency rooms or treating and transporting the sick share their triage protocols? I shudder at the thought of having a STEMI during this period.
Cath lab brought a STEMI over to the ICU last Wednesday. Due to close proximity to the patient they are suiting up in their CAPR for all patients. Then they brought the patient over on a nasal cannula I voiced my concern from across the unit. I think they got the point.

Our numbers have exploded in a matter of days and we just had our first fatality. We don’t have the staff nor beds for much more and nowhere near hitting the top of the curve. Anesthesia is going to teach us to use their vents. I think we have enough vents for all the rooms and staff we have but we only have a 20 bed unit. Vented patients are staying on out unit and other Covid patients go to another unit for now.

Col. Robert W. Black
Old 29 March 2020, 12:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing_snake View Post
The part I don't believe is that we don't have large stockpiles of PPE somewhere, especially since it's coming out that we sent 16 tons to China in February, and Canada did as well. I also think they're calling up the IRR not to assist, but basically to isolate them so it doesn't affect military readiness. The same reason most police officers are only responding to life & death situations, a matter of readiness. I think the lethality of it doesn't justify the shutdown of everyday life. I've also been deemed *essential* & what if I've seen is more people out than ever in small groups. Instead of being able to go to the grocery once a week the panic has driven people to go every few days which maximizes exposure to it. Think about how drastically they could drop the spread if they issued everyone an n95 mask with that $1200 check, a reusable one that you could clean. To me this is definitely about pushing everyone into panic mode to see how draconian they can get, & what they can get away with passing just like after 911. Also, which politician is going throw themselves on the sword, & say things can go back to normal? How long does it last?
There was this report from a few weeks ago. This is a WAPO story grabbed from a non paywalled News site.

https://www.pressdemocrat.com/news/1...n-the-national

Our new posting rules