Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 3 July 2010, 16:11
Confirmed User

Small Arms Gages

Hi All,

Could anybody out there recomend any of the gages used for the following weapon systems? I'm after CHS, FPP AND BORE GAGES.

PKM
AK47
GLOCK (ALL CAL)
CZ99

I've had a look at Brownells site but there are alot of makes on there so if any of you guys out there could give an honest opinion?

Cheers

Burma
Old 6 July 2010, 05:30
Overseas Gunplumber

True milspec gages as well as the correct usage of them are hard to locate. I mean a 7.62x39 No Go gage is great, but does the factory use or recognize them. Who determined what the No Go threshold is?

Glock has a gage that is used in Europe, but the instructor said to pretty much ignore it and I agree. Change the guide rod assy. at the proper intervals and do your annual cleaning and inspections. IMO in an overseas environment they should be full stripped annually, cleaned and have the springs and various small items replaced.

"Change....one magazine at a time."

I have been to some armorer courses.
Old 6 July 2010, 05:52
Authorized Personnel

Gauges are misunderstood. Most often, Go and No Go gauges are really only useful if you are cutting chambers. This is why the military uses Field Reject gauges that are your maximum possible headspace that is safe, which is "Larger" than the maximum that you can cut the chamber to for a weapon to leave the factory.

Also most civ HS gauges do not have ejector cut outs so you can get false readings if you have a spring loaded ejector. FPP is hardly ever checked on pistols, I cant think of one to be honest.

As far as bore gauges, do you mean barrel straightness, or throat eroision? Neither are checked on most pistols due to the less wear that these weapons see, and in the case of the AK, how would you get a gauge into the bore without having to totally take out the guts, and then re-pean over rivets ect?
Old 6 July 2010, 17:03
Confirmed User

Thanks guys,

This is what I was looking for, a bit of hands on user info.

I have been so use to opening a box of mil spec gages from the stores that are calibrated routinely that I just wanted to hear how it works out there in the real world.

Our mil inspection standards are pretty rigid so we would have to FPP, CHS Erosion gage and send a bore plug down everything with a barrel. When calibres permit we send a scope down also and take impressions of the chamber with a mould kit. Some stuff even got ballistic fingerprinted.

As for the AK and other locally acquired kit on trips away it was pretty much visual thing and hope it came from a good source. Now I'm back in the world of lawsuits I just want to know what is best practice out there?

So please continue with the great advice. I'm hoping to get over to the USA over the next year as my mil quals will do for now but I would like to get them converted to factory quals. I would do it here in the UK but our fox loving liberals over here don't allow those kind of freedoms. So if anybody can recommend any providers...?

Rgds

Burma
Old 6 July 2010, 19:11
Overseas Gunplumber

Luke,

I am in the process of having some M16/M4 gages made up. They will be made from A2 tool steel and hardened. I hope to have the details ironed out very soon. They will be true copies of the military gages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYWAR 1-0 View Post
Gauges are misunderstood. Most often, Go and No Go gauges are really only useful if you are cutting chambers. This is why the military uses Field Reject gauges that are your maximum possible headspace that is safe, which is "Larger" than the maximum that you can cut the chamber to for a weapon to leave the factory.

Also most civ HS gauges do not have ejector cut outs so you can get false readings if you have a spring loaded ejector. FPP is hardly ever checked on pistols, I cant think of one to be honest.

As far as bore gauges, do you mean barrel straightness, or throat eroision? Neither are checked on most pistols due to the less wear that these weapons see, and in the case of the AK, how would you get a gauge into the bore without having to totally take out the guts, and then re-pean over rivets ect?

"Change....one magazine at a time."

I have been to some armorer courses.

Our new posting rules