Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Weapons

Old 27 January 2011, 20:37
Hunting terrorists...

Glock 26 vs Glock 30

I've been thinking about getting a concealed carry pistol for a long time. I've shot the G26 and I loved it but I'm also a huge fan of .45s.

I've searched various forums online and it looks like a lot of people have traded in the G30 for a G26 based on the size of the pistol.

With a toddler and a newborn, I really want a little pistol that I can hide easily and isn't going to get in the way when I'm lugging the kids around.

Right now I'm leaning towards the G26 because its a smaller gun and the ammo is much cheaper which means I get to shoot more! Has anyone had experience with both of these models?

Thanks in advance.
Old 27 January 2011, 21:43
Aww F**K it

I carry a G26 daily off duty and as a backup when I was in patrol. I like that I can carry a full size G17 mag in my pocket for a reload. I love it, small enough to conceal easily yet big enough that it doesn't too feel awkward to shoot.

For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil. Romans 13:4
Old 27 January 2011, 21:43
Authorized Personnel

The glock 30 is really more around the size of the 19/23. It is a little bit shorter than the 19 but much wider.

Do you already own a .45 frame Glock? Some people don't like the grip size. They are pretty big around.

In a holster - the difference is really negligable. If you can carry/conceal a 30, you might as well get a 19 instead of a 26 and make the choice between those two.

The 26/27 is reall the "sub-compact" the comparison to the 30 isn't really apples-apples.

"Break squelch and die."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GackMan; 27 January 2011 at 22:00.
Old 27 January 2011, 21:45
Best Damn Cooler of 2011

I love my G26, but I'd trade it for a a G30 in a second if I could. I've never handled one, but it doesn't seem to be much bigger. There's also a .40 caliber.
"The real problem was being able to stick it out, to sit in an office under the orders of a wee man in a dark gray suit and look out of the window and recall the bush country, the waving palms, the smell of sweat and cordite, the grunts of the men hauling jeeps over the river crossings, the copper-tasting fears just before the attack, and the wild, cruel joy of being alive afterward. To remember, and then go back to the ledgers and the commuter train, that was impossible. He knew he would eat his heart out if it ever came to that."

- "The Dogs of War" by Frederick Forsyth
Old 27 January 2011, 21:46
On the Extract Bird

I have both and shoot both, the 30 is not nearly as concealable as the 26. Personally, I am a big proponent of putting rounds where I intend to put them as the most effective way of stopping a potential bad-guy thus making both as effective as the other firepower wise.

IMO, the 26 should suit your needs just fine and with a 19 or a 17 magazine as a reload you should be GTG. In fact, I have used the 26 to great effect in a real world incident and have no reservations about doing so again. To be truthful though, I carry the G19 day to day, just feels better and is pretty comfortable for most situations and clothing.

You really can't go wrong with either, rent them both and give em a test run side by side.

Good luck
B2
Old 27 January 2011, 22:18

Give the G27 a look as well. The .40 has a lot of energy behind it, and you only give up one round in the mag vs. the 26. It is my everyday carry and very rarely gets in the way.
Old 27 January 2011, 22:54
Confirmed User

X2 Tac24's comments on the 27 (I do the same). Also, with the grip extension for the added finger, makes it a lot more fun/accurate on the range.
Old 27 January 2011, 22:57
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

I've not shot the Glock in .45 -- or at least I don't think I have, although I have held it. As others have stated, that fucker is huge, and I'm told I have large enough hands -- you know, for wrapping around my huge crank.

As far as the .40 -- meh -- I'm not a fan of it, and I own one (22). I prefer my 19 and 26. And now that I have a 9mm drop-in barrel for the 22, yeah -- that case of .40 is going to be just sitting there for awhile....
Old 28 January 2011, 08:10
Administrator

Try the Glock 36 - a .45 single stack. I have one and a 26 as well as a 33. All great carry guns.
Old 28 January 2011, 08:48
Mask, Fins & Floaties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Try the Glock 36 - a .45 single stack. I have one and a 26 as well as a 33. All great carry guns.
Is the G36 considered the "Slimline" model?
Old 28 January 2011, 09:03
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
X2! I carry the 36 and love it. It is a "slimline" version and has less rounds but it conceals better and feels better in my hand.

Scotty
Old 28 January 2011, 09:05
Good Idea Fairy

I have a 26. Great carry gun. But, I gravitated to the 23. It is a .40 and holds 13+1 at a slightly larger package. If you can hide a 26, you can hide a 23...
It is my go to carry gun for the last 5 years.

I dont like the Glock .45's. But I have Chick hands...
1911 hits the spot for me in that caliber.

"There won't be humans in 500 years. Enough people choke themselves when they jerk off we gave it a name. We ain't a species made to last."

--ShitmyDadsays.
Old 28 January 2011, 10:48
Confirmed User

If you carry on your hip as I do be sure you consider how comfortable you are when driving. I know this sounds stupid but when I went from an SUV to a sports car I had to buy a smaller pistol due to the sidebolsters on the seat. I know it sounds stupid but it was a real issue. My two cents...
Old 28 January 2011, 12:39
Non Timebo Mala

Quote:
Ditto,

I have a G 30 and a G 36. Bought two of the G 30's thinking they were going to be my main carry gun. I have about 5k rds through my G 36, its thinner than a G26 grip and super easy to conceal. Do a search, I think I published some pictures here a while back on G 19, G 30 and G 36 sizes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Brave men have fought and died building the proud tradition and feared reputation that I am bound to uphold....."
Old 28 January 2011, 12:40
Non Timebo Mala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
X2! I carry the 36 and love it. It is a "slimline" version and has less rounds but it conceals better and feels better in my hand.

Scotty
That is because you have lady fingers

"Brave men have fought and died building the proud tradition and feared reputation that I am bound to uphold....."
Old 28 January 2011, 12:54
I'm kind of a big deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy View Post
That is because you have lady fingers
Not in this economy! I haven't had a mani-pedi in months.

But seriously though, I do have lady fingers.
Old 28 January 2011, 15:04
Confirmed User

Glock 33 is great in .357 sig however my hands are too big for it .So I went with the 32 Compact, fits well. Ammo price comparable to .45 acp in most places that I have found.
Old 28 January 2011, 15:07
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortalitus
Glock 33 is great in .357 sig....
LOL, is there ANY gun "great" in .357 Sig?
Old 28 January 2011, 16:26
BTDT

Little Glocks

More of a holster issue.

The 30 is bigger than the 26, but that makes little difference if your using a inside the waistband holster.

Either/or. They're both great guns.

Good shooting
Old 28 January 2011, 16:29
Mask, Fins & Floaties

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
LOL, is there ANY gun "great" in .357 Sig?
HA! x2

If you're going to buy a .357, might as well go with a wheel gun.

Our new posting rules