Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Old 23 February 2012, 00:07
Psalm 91:2

Anybody read Coughlin's Swanson series?

Former Marine sniper Jack Coughlin has a sniper series with his main character being sniper Kyle Swanson.

I found these by accident from the recommended books Amazon gives you after you have purchased a book on Kindle.

In the middle of them right now and I like them so far. They seem to very accurately portray what being a Marine sniper is all about...I said seem cuz I have no experience to tell the difference. I just know I'm enjoying the series a lot.

I'd recommend them. I'm thinking since he's a former Marine sniper you all will like them too.

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 2 April 2012, 14:43
Confirmed User

I've read a number of them and they're pretty good, I just finished the latest one called "Running the maze." Not bad, but I enjoyed the earlier books more. Good stuff.
Old 2 April 2012, 18:50
Confirmed User

I read his non-fiction book Shooter: The Autobiography of the Top-Ranked Marine Sniper.

I thought it was ok.
I ran across the Swanson series by accident at the library. I was on my way to training and wanted something to read at the airport.

I liked the first two the best. The third was OK.
A good easy read, a good way to kill a sunny afternoon under a shade tree.
Old 2 April 2012, 21:49
Confirmed User

Around 2005, if you spoke his name at the west coast school house, you were probably going to get shot.
Old 3 April 2012, 04:38
Renob

I cannot locate that old thread that talked about his original book "Shooter", possibly because it was from when this site was socnetcentral. Basically, Coughlin is/was not an 8541.

As for his fiction work, just take it as fiction. Perhaps in a similar fashion as Michael Scott to Michael Skarn...
Old 5 April 2012, 16:10
Psalm 91:2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda Power View Post
I cannot locate that old thread that talked about his original book "Shooter", possibly because it was from when this site was socnetcentral. Basically, Coughlin is/was not an 8541.

As for his fiction work, just take it as fiction. Perhaps in a similar fashion as Michael Scott to Michael Skarn...
Okay it's stupid civvie time. Is an 8541 a sniper or does this refer to something else?

BTW, I still liked the books though he needs to finish some of the sub plots before he gets to the next book. Kinda leaves the reader hanging....as in pick up the next book in the series and like "wait...I thought so and so happened, how'd he get there?"

Tolerating evil leads only to more evil. And when good people stand by and do nothing while wickedness reigns, their communities will be consumed. Bob Riley
Old 6 April 2012, 09:56
regular speed jerk, not a high speed jerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda1961 View Post
Okay it's stupid civvie time. Is an 8541 a sniper or does this refer to something else?
8541 is a Marine Scout Sniper.

"If you become involved in a crisis situation, you will not rise to the occasion but, rather, default to your level of training."

Our new posting rules