Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Book Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 22 August 2012, 18:27
padrino con il vino

New book

Has any one heard of this book?? Should be interesting.

The book, “No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama bin Laden,” which is scheduled to be released on Sept. 11, has been a tightly held secret at the publisher, Penguin. It promises to be one of the biggest books of the year, with the potential to affect the presidential campaign in the final weeks before the election.

Admin if you want to delete this go ahead??

Know I am out of my lane, hell I don't have a lane
Old 22 August 2012, 19:57
Confirmed User

I just read a similar article and was about to make a thread about this. The author is writing under the pseudonym of Mark Owen. We could find the first edition of this book being retracted and destroyed by the DOD for revealing too much.

I am sure this book has been in development for quite some time but it kind of throws a wrench in the works of the "Dishonorable Disclosures" campaign. After watching the video and reading many posts here I felt the NSW community was united on this issue and someone said something to the effect that it may be many, many years before a member of said community has anything to say about the events that occurred on that operation.

I am interested to hear the possible change in tone regarding this book and its political ramifications, if any.
Old 22 August 2012, 20:02
Prevent.Promote.Protect.

Mentioned in the SEALs speaking out against POTUS thread - http://socnet.com/showthread.php?t=109540&page=6
Old 22 August 2012, 21:24
Administrator

P.N.G.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 22 August 2012, 21:39
Scoundrel

Fuck that guy.

“it's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST
Old 23 August 2012, 05:46
El Conquistador

Navy SEAL to release book on bin Laden raid, publishing company saysBy the CNN Wire S

I think it might be a publicity move to sell the book

http://us.cnn.com/2012/08/22/us/navy...html?hpt=hp_t2

(CNN) -- A book company said Wednesday that it will release on September 11 a firsthand account of the raid that killed al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden.

Christine Ball, director of marketing and publicity for Dutton, a subsidiary of Penguin Group USA, said the book was written by a Navy SEAL under a pen name.

The book is entitled "No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission That Killed Osama bin Laden."

A Department of Defense official said the SEAL is no longer on active duty.

U.S. Special Operations Command has not reviewed the book or approved it, the official said. Officials only recently became aware the former SEAL was writing a book but were told it encompasses more than just the raid and includes vignettes from training and other missions.

They would like to see a copy, the official said, to make sure no classified information is released or the book contains any information that might out one of the team members.

Officials have been told that some of the profits are going to charity.

Former Special Forces officers slam Obama over leaks on bin Laden killing

Ex-SEALs slam Obama
New Bin Laden Movie Trailer released
Pervez Musharraf on Osama bin Laden
Adm. McRaven on the bin Laden raid About two dozen U.S. Special Operations members and two helicopters were involved in the raid early May 2, 2011, in Abbottabad, Pakistan, that killed bin Laden.

The raid occurred in a span of 38 minutes, after CIA reports of repeated sightings of a tall man doing "prison yard walks" around the yard of the housing compound in Abbottabad, which was under constant surveillance, a official said on condition of anonymity a few days after the raid.

U.S. authorities did not definitively determine beforehand that the man was bin Laden, but they eventually concluded that there was enough evidence to go through with the operation.

One helicopter made a hard landing when it apparently came too close to a wall. It landed inside the western side of the compound with its tail rotor over the southern wall.

The first man killed in the mission -- which the U.S. official said was code-named Operation Neptune Spear -- was the Kuwaiti courier who had worked for bin Laden. He was shot dead after a brief gunfight in a guest house. From that point on, it is believed no other shots were fired at the U.S. forces, the official said -- which contrasts with early U.S. government reports describing the operation as a "firefight."

The troops then moved into the compound's three-story main building, where they shot and killed the courier's brother. As they went upstairs and around barricades, one of bin Laden's sons rushed at them and was killed. Neither of these men had weapons either on them or nearby, the official said.

The U.S. official said that the team then entered the third-floor room where bin Laden was, along with his Yemeni wife and several young children. The al Qaeda leader was moving, possibly toward one of the weapons that were in the room, when he was shot, first in the chest and then in the head. He never had a gun in hand but posed an imminent threat, according to the U.S. official.

Bin Laden's body was flown to the aircraft carrier USS Carl Vinson, then in the North Arabian Sea. After DNA tests and further confirmations of his identity, he was buried at sea within 12 hours of his killing "in conformance with Islamic precepts and practices," White House press secretary Jay Carney said.

President Obama met with some of the Navy SEALs, often referred to as SEAL Team Six and officially as the Naval Special Warfare Development Group, at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

Opinion: Are 'Swift Boat' attacks on Obama bogus?

The U.S. raid, which was conducted without the knowledge of Pakistan, enraged the Pakistani public and embarrassed its military.

Three months later, 15 members of Seal Team Six were killed in a helicopter crash in Afghanistan.

Oscar-winning director Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal are working on a movie about the raid.

"Zero Dark Thirty" is about the decade-long hunt for bin Laden. Bigelow and Boal are the team behind the 2008 Oscar-winning film "The Hurt Locker."

The new movie was said to be set for release just before the election, but after Republicans complained that it was a pro-Obama ad, it was pushed back until December. There is some dispute over whether it was ever meant for release before December.

The movie has been the focus of a Washington partisan fight since last summer.

The Pentagon's inspector general began an inquiry after questions were raised by Rep. Peter King, R-New York.

He demanded investigations by the Department of Defense and CIA inspectors general into what, if any, classified information about Special Operations tactics, techniques and procedures were leaked to the filmmakers, calling the film a "potentially dangerous collaboration" between liberal filmmakers and the administration.

Some of what those investigations found did show collaboration between the administration and the filmmakers, but Defense Department and White House officials have said it's no different than what they give many filmmakers and news reporters on a regular basis.
Old 23 August 2012, 05:55
Confirmed Asshole

There have been several books and a movie (Boal/Bigalow) being put on the shelf until after the Election due to the perception that they are too pro-POTUS and would "swing" the election. I doubt that theory, but it will be interesting to see if this book is of the same ilk. The 9/11/2012 rollout is clearly for maximum effect.

As for the article, I'm shocked there has been no Liberal outcry over these comments. What? The SEALS didn't read him his rights?:

"Neither of these men had weapons either on them or nearby, the official said."

"The al Qaeda leader was moving, possibly toward one of the weapons that were in the room, when he was shot, first in the chest and then in the head. He never had a gun in hand but posed an imminent threat, according to the U.S. official."

Last edited by bmbsqd; 23 August 2012 at 06:22.
Old 23 August 2012, 06:39
In Vino Veritas

Thumbs down

Soooooo I guess he will be arrested for violating his NDA and probably a thousand other documents he signed after the raid?

If the author is in fact an actual shooter who partook in the raid he just sold his integrity for a few dollars.
But wherever I have gone, I was sure to find myself there, You can run all your life, But not go anywhere
Old 23 August 2012, 07:30
Non Timebo Mala

So much for Quiet Professionals....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Brave men have fought and died building the proud tradition and feared reputation that I am bound to uphold....."
Old 23 August 2012, 09:35
Confirmed User

[/URL] http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/post/no-easy-day-for-obama-critics-in-dishonorable-disclosures/2012/08/23/861dcf2c-ed12-11e1-9ddc-340d5efb1e9c_blog.html[/URL]

The author of the article sums up pretty well the whole conundrum. The book is due for release on September 11, 2012 and can already be pre-orderd on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/No-Easy-Day-Fi.../dp/0525953728
Old 23 August 2012, 09:42
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Meh, I'm waiting for the book by the intel dude, who really found him and was really responsible for the whole thing. You know, from a real CT guy....
Old 23 August 2012, 09:56
Confirmed User

Well apparently the release date changed in the last hour to October 16, 2012. The velocity at which shit rolls down hill, I tell ya.
Old 23 August 2012, 10:18
Creepy ass cracka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
P.N.G.
X2.

To say I'm dissapointed and embarrased for my community would be an understatement.
"Better to live alone in the desert than with a nagging wife" - Proverbs 21:19
Old 23 August 2012, 10:21
Old and Broke

I'll withhold judgement until the book comes out.

Hinting at unauthorized disclosure would be a good way to generate early sales.
Old 23 August 2012, 10:28
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Guy
So much for Quiet Professionals....
True, but it might be a case of non-plural above. I imagine that there are a number of guys that may have been there who probably frown on something like this.

Or, it could be something like Dalton Fury, and guys are hoping to put things out there to give credit to some deserving people.

I admit to thinking your comment is the one most likely to represent the truth, though -- albeit singular (unless we find that multiple parties participated in the authoring)....
Old 23 August 2012, 10:31
Non Timebo Mala

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB View Post
True, but it might be a case of non-plural above. I imagine that there are a number of guys that may have been there who probably frown on something like this.

Or, it could be something like Dalton Fury, and guys are hoping to put things out there to give credit to some deserving people.

I admit to thinking your comment is the one most likely to represent the truth, though -- albeit singular (unless we find that multiple parties participated in the authoring)....
My post was grammatically incorrect, my belief (hope) is that this is a Lone Actor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Brave men have fought and died building the proud tradition and feared reputation that I am bound to uphold....."
Old 23 August 2012, 11:03
Authorized Personnel

This book is being discussed, or at least mentioned, in three places now, but Matchanu summed it up best:

Quote:
Missions can be chosen by the reputation of those respective units. If XXX unit is well known for its former members speaking out about XXX mission, then it's unlikely they are going to be chosen for operations that carry higher levels of secrecy, importance, national reputation.
"“Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.” ."
Old 23 August 2012, 11:05
Authorized Personnel

If his name is out there in the media then leave it in the media. It's speculation on whether or not it is the person and doesn't need to be discussed on SOCNET.
"“Since mankind's dawn, a handful of oppressors have accepted the responsibility over our lives that we should have accepted for ourselves. By doing so, they took our power. By doing nothing, we gave it away. We've seen where their way leads, through camps and wars, towards the slaughterhouse.” ."
Old 23 August 2012, 11:08
Authorized Personnel

Has Fox confirmed it's who they are naming? Are they mistaken? Did they just out a SEAL?
Old 23 August 2012, 11:09
Creepy ass cracka

I merged these threads, no need to discuss this on every forum on the site.
"Better to live alone in the desert than with a nagging wife" - Proverbs 21:19
Closed Thread

Our new posting rules