Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 15 September 2002, 22:30

SF Chaplains

I have a short term goal to re-attend SFAS in March, get into the pipeline and become an 18E. My long term goal after this is to become a "Special Forces Chaplain". Anyone know soldiers that chose to become chaplains for the groups after serving on the teams? I feel that chaplains are very much needed in the military and to have that access to the SF families,along with being an SF soldier is a bonus.

All responses are appreciated
Old 15 September 2002, 22:52
Special Forces
Visitor

Re: SF Chaplains

Quote:
Originally posted by makane
I have a short term goal to re-attend SFAS in March, get into the pipeline and become an 18E. My long term goal after this is to become a "Special Forces Chaplain". Anyone know soldiers that chose to become chaplains for the groups after serving on the teams? I feel that chaplains are very much needed in the military and to have that access to the SF families,along with being an SF soldier is a bonus.

All responses are appreciated
Doesn't work that way.

Chaplains are assigned to SF units just like any other Army units, by the Chaplains' Corps, though MOST of our chaplains are airborne qualified. Very few chaplains are SF qualified, and those who are rotate among units just like any other assignment.

You make it as an 18E (or any SF MOS), you are going to have to fulfil your service obligation for that training, and then likely ETS to attend Divinity School (unless you already have a divinity degree). After Divinity School. you would apply for a commission as an officer in the Chaplain's Corps, and would incidentally be SF qualified.

In a career, you MIGHT get a couple of assignments to SF units. A good friend of mine was CCN in Vietnam and became a Chaplain later in his career. He got about four or five years in SF Chaplain jobs in a 25 year career as a Chaplain.

It is good to have a long term plan, but you better stay focused on the 25 m. target and not count the chickens too soon. You have not yet successfully completed SFAS and you are already planning your post-SF career.
Old 15 September 2002, 23:54

Thumbs up

Roger that !

I am in the National Guard at the moment and would fufill the expected service obligations there. During that time I would be going to divinity school and tracking according to the requirements to become a Chaplain. I understand about not putting the cart before the horse, but I have faith that if it is God's will, my aspirations, as stated will come to pass at the appropriate time.
Old 16 September 2002, 01:06
Confirmed User

Quote:
...but I have faith that if it is God's will, my aspirations, as stated will come to pass...
Ah, "if it is God's will", he he, now that's the tricky part. It be nice if he would let us now with a little advanced notice. Sure would make things easier to plan for :) :) :).
Old 16 September 2002, 09:09
Been There Done That

SF Padres

If you want to be an SF Padre, then aim for it. The few I've known went through as Captains, and once SF-qualified served in both SF and leg units (a couple going to the Special Mission Units). Pretty cool seeing a Padre with long tab and master wings.

I know one, Keith, had to get special dispensation from Chief of Chaplains (as a Chaplain he's not supposed to carry arms) to attend Q-Course. During pre-phase they made a sheherd's crook out of re-bar and had him running around the woods with that in an M-60 sling.

You don't want to be too old as an SF chaplain, as the boys appreciate someone their own age at Battalion/Squadron level (rather than the older guys you would expect on a group staff).
Old 16 September 2002, 10:05
cmr
Visitor

SF Chaplains

A funny story about an SF Chaplain. We got married at the JFK Chapel on Ft Bragg and Chaplain Billy Fowler performed the service. He was a former drill sgt and it showed. He wouldn't marry us unless we took the pre-marital classes because he said the SF life was too hard on a marriage to go into it unprepared, unaware and unable to handle the adversity. He was more right than he knew. My husband to be was so busy at the time that he couldn't attend the classes. he simply was not at Ft Bragg and we expained that to Chaplain Fowler.

The Solution? The Team Sgt took the classes with me! We taped them and sent them on to husband to be.
Old 16 September 2002, 11:17
Sharky
Visitor

If I'm not mistaken, Col murph's son is a pretty high-speed chaplain/padre type.
Old 16 September 2002, 23:20
Confirmed User

I was a missionary. It was awsome.
Old 17 September 2002, 00:21

Chief:

That uplink/downlink has already been established and is transmitting 5 by 5 at all times. It's the only secure network around.
Old 17 September 2002, 09:27
Wrapped in the comfort of dark waters

LMFAO

Having an SF Commo MOS won't get you a better connection with Jesus. Screwing up during an operation will move you to the head of the line...
quoted by tracy

Tracy
man that was funny LMFAO I just had to tell this one to the guys...............
Old 18 September 2002, 09:27
Old Fart

Thumbs up Former SF to Chaplin

Yes, a former demo man, E-5 or E-6 became a Chaplin and spent quite a few years in SF as a Chaplin. His name was Stapanzie and he would show up at your team site or catch you as you moved through the woods for a visit. He climbed moutains in Korea with us or humped the jungles with us in Thailand.

After 1st Group he was assigned to 10th Group and would hump the mountains in Germany or Austria. I believe he retired in the late 70s. I knew him from 70 to about 76 when I left 10th Group for 3/7 in Panama. Hard man and I have a bunch of pictures of him wiht the biggest white cross on his helmet you could imagine. No matter where you were you could find his thoughts of the day taped to something.

Excellent, non judgmental man and a true inspiration.

Rick B

"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit.
Wisdom is not sticking it up your ass."

"Experience is what you get right after you need it."

both authors "unknown"
Old 23 September 2002, 20:16
BTDT

makane:

"What Tracy said":

And to that I would add this:

I had a friend (Chaplain) who was RIF'd around 1973, he was pretty upset about leaving the Army. My response, "while wearing the Army uniform, there's no higher authority than D.A.":

Terry

Our new posting rules