Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > History

Old 6 May 2003, 18:30
Just A Girl

Memorial Dedication for CPT. Lance P. Sijan

Memorial Dedication for CPT. Lance P. Sijan, USAF, POW
Medal of Honor recipient

Ted F. Fetting, Director & Veterans Service Officer
414-278-4054

On June 8, 2003 there will be a ceremony at Arlington Park Cemetery in Milwaukee, Wisconsin where a very fitting memorial to Medal of Honor recipient and Milwaukee native Lance P. Sijan will be dedicated. The Memorial is in the configuration of an F-4C aircraft, the type of plane CPT. Sijan flew. Also, as part of the memorial, there will be 2 benches, a flag and a replica of the gravestone that the North Vietnamese enemy had made and placed on Sijan's grave in the late 1960's and then returned along with his remains to his parents and family in the year of 1974. Mr. Ross Perot will be our guest speaker on this special occasion and others expected to make comments include CPT. Guy Gruters, a cellmate in North Vietnam with Sijan and later also with John McCain, and a former classmate at the Air Force Academy, and others.

The ceremony will begin at 2 p.m. There will be some seating and parking available. Transportation will be offered to those having to park any distance away. The cemetery address is 4001 S. 27th Street, Greenfield and the phone number is 414-282-6600. It is our hope that you might join us at this very special event.

To learn more about Lance, I suggest these excellent articles: 'Sijan! My name is Lance Peter Sijan!' and Lance Sijan's Incredible Journey
"I believe this Muslim proliferation is prophecy. These people are the Anti Christ and the great holy war of Revelations is just beginning. They are the greatest threat that mankind has ever faced." - D. L. Mathers
Old 6 May 2003, 21:40
BTDT

Yotanka,

Thanks for your contributions. It serves to keep the memory of these fine men alive.

Bill
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 6 May 2003, 22:02
Just A Girl

Thanks Bill, It's good to know someone appreciates my efforts.

Jennifer Martinez sends
"I believe this Muslim proliferation is prophecy. These people are the Anti Christ and the great holy war of Revelations is just beginning. They are the greatest threat that mankind has ever faced." - D. L. Mathers
Old 6 May 2003, 22:22
Confirmed User

Yotanka,

I am glad to see that you are still around. I haven't seen one of your posts for a while. Although I am merely a guest here I sincerely appreciate your efforts. Thanks for all that you do.

Armygal
Old 8 May 2003, 00:30
Administrator

Stud.

Never forget.

SGT A/1/75 86-89
Ranger Class 13-87

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my children will have peace." - Thomas Paine
Old 8 May 2003, 00:54
Just A Girl

Thanks Armygal. Yes, I haven't been around on the boards for awhile, until I came to post the information on my friend, LTC. Hal Fritz and then I thought perhaps someone here might be interested in the dedication ceremony for CPT. Sijan.

You're more than a guest! You're Authorized Personnel, that means they like you!

Jennifer Martinez sends
Old 8 May 2003, 08:40
Going back

I recently used CPT Sijan as an example for some of my end-users who were complaining about the speed of their computers. After telling them of CPT Sijan's story I asked if they any more problems. The room was silent and calls to our help desk declined sharply.

Sometimes you need to put things into perspective.

I read "Into the Mouth of the Cat"more than 10 years ago and I can still quote portions of CPT Sijan's story.

Tack said it best though.

BTAR

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe
Old 8 May 2003, 15:31
BTDT

Quote:
Originally posted by Doogie320
I recently used CPT Sijan as an example for some of my end-users who were complaining about the speed of their computers. After telling them of CPT Sijan's story I asked if they any more problems. The room was silent and calls to our help desk declined sharply.

Sometimes you need to put things into perspective.

BTAR
Your a jackass........Put that into perspective.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"

Hunter S. Thompson
Old 8 May 2003, 17:05
Going back

Uhhh.... okay.

BTAR

- Blue Skies Big Windy 25

- Are you suffering from brain damage? I seriously want to know. If so, I will quit making fun of you. - Joe

Our new posting rules