Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > General Topics > Law Enforcement

Old 18 June 2003, 16:01
Major Lunitik
Visitor

SWAT Medics

Howdy~

I'm a firefighter/paramedic in Newport Beach, Ca. I am currently putting together a package to present to our Fire Administration and City Council on the benefits of introducing Fire/Paramedics to the SWAT Team here in Newport Beach. I have the support of everyone involved, including the PD, except a few (high level) administrative Fire Chiefs. Do any of you (experts) have any connections or information regarding a risk/cost/benefit analysis that would help my cause? IE stats, linguistics of proposals, staffing templates, etc.

Any advice or resources would be very helpful. Also, are any organizations that you know of still conducting CONTOMS courses?

Any insight is appreciated :)

Stay Safe,

Mike Liberto
Old 18 June 2003, 16:05
NEW TO SOCNET

Mike,
While there a few medic types here, there appear to be quite a few more on Tacticalforums.com and Lightfighter.com the Med forum on Tacticalforums.com I think is an active EMT Paramedic Swatmed type. Might get more love over there. Good luck.

The US Constitution is not a suicide pact.

If you miss your ex frequently, consider better optics for your rifle.

"The baby will be slippery, if you drop it don't stare, PICK IT UP !!!" - OB/GYN Wisdom
Old 18 June 2003, 18:33
Tactical Conductor

SWAT Docs

http://hometown.aol.com/TnTactical/TTPPA.html

These guys have been around a few years. Give them a try.

The current Surgeon General is a SWAT Doc.
We have medics (FD) and docs on our team, love having them there.
The problems I have heard about are FD admins thinking their FF wanted to play cop...not the case on our team.
Good Luck.

Invictus Infectus Non Invertabus Pu
Old 19 June 2003, 01:30
Authorized Personnel

If you're not already a member of the NTOA www.ntoa.org then join, they can provide you a ton of info on how to get started.
Old 19 June 2003, 01:32
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

Tactical Medics

Maj.

A few years ago, Santa Ana Fire put a couple of their EMT-P guys through a reserve academy and served on the PD's SWAT team as reserve officers/paramedics. Their being in the same county should be a strong selling point, if the city gov't needs convincing, they need only look across their own back yard- plus you got that city rivalry/one-upmanship thing you can exploit!

DCH
Old 19 June 2003, 12:23
Major Lunitik
Visitor

Great Resources guys, thank you. My proposal is coming along nicely. We've even got a few guys signed up for HK's Tactical Medic Course in October. Anyone know anything about the school?

Thanks again :)
Old 26 June 2003, 00:36
Authorized Personnel

Mike,

The NTOA (National Tactical Officers Association) is definately going to be a great resource for information. Specifically with research and data concerning requirements, liability issues and other teams that utilize TEMS.

If you're in SoCal, Los Angeles County's SEB would be a good model to look at. PM me if you like and I will give you two contact names, one from LASO and one from Riverside PD. They could probably give you a little better slant on what the cultural orientation of TEMS is in your area.

Good luck to you. If I can help, let me know.

Our new posting rules