SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET - The Special Operations Community Network > Legacy > Special Operations Tributes

Old 9 July 2005, 06:52
Been There Done That

Navy SEAL Jeff Taylor

http://home.hamptonroads.com/obits/details.cfm?obitID=24354

Jeffrey S. Taylor VIRGINIA BEACH
Navy SEAL Jeff Taylor died June 28, 2005, while conducting combat operations in Afghanistan. He was killed when the MH-47 Chinook helicopter he was aboard crashed into the rugged mountains of eastern Afghanistan. The helicopter was enroute to provide support to troops on the ground when it was shot down by enemy forces. He was assigned to SEAL Team Ten, Virginia Beach. Hospital Corpsman First Class (HM1) Jeff "JT" Taylor spent his first 18 years in Beckley, W.Va., where he graduated from Independence High School in Coal City, W.Va. He enlisted in the Navy June 20, 1994, and completed basic training in Great Lakes, Ill., in August 1994. He was also a graduate of Field Medical Service School in Camp Lejeune, N.C., and became a Navy SEAL following Underwater Demolition/SEAL Training in Coronado, Calif. Jeff was also a Basic Airborne and Military Freefall Parachute school graduate. In addition to SEAL Team Ten, Jeff’s previous duty stations include the Navy Medical Center, Portsmouth, the 2nd Marine Division, Camp Lejeune, N.C., SEAL Team Eight and USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN 71). HM1 Taylor’s military awards include the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, Navy Commendation Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal as well as numerous other personal and command awards. Jeff devoted himself to this country and its children. His recent words to his wife Erin - written from Afghanistan - capture Jeff’s spirit. "Here I am, living my dream. Extended out as the farthest reaching arm to smash those who wish harm on my loved ones and our way of life. Sometimes the great pride is replaced with anger, followed by sadness at the loss of friends that couldn’t be here with me to fight as they also dreamed to do. As far away as I am, I feel at home here, and know this is what I’m meant to do. Not sure if this will give me the closure to move on or solidifies my place in life, only time will tell. The one thing I know without a doubt is that I look forward to coming home to you, being the best husband I can and loving you for the rest of my life." Jeff was an expert outdoorsman who loved gun smithing, hunting, shooting, his dogs, sky diving, BASE jumping, rock climbing and adventure sports. He is survived by his wife of three months, Erin (Banghart) Taylor of Virginia Beach; his mother, Gail Bowman of Beckley, W.Va.; a brother, Brandon Eston Cox of Wichita; his stepfather, Jim Bowman; four stepbrothers, James Gregory Bowman, Jay Patrick Bowman, Kelly Dale Bowman and Carl Dayton Bowman, all of Beckley; his father, John Taylor; stepmother, Cheryl Gwinn Taylor; and his half brothers, Justin Alex Taylor and Josh David Taylor, all of Rainelle, W.Va.; his maternal grandmother, Manda Elizabeth Birchfield; and a paternal grandmother, Lucille Taylor Smith,. A memorial service will be conducted today at 10 a.m. at the Little Creek Naval Amphibious Base Theater. H.D. Oliver Funeral Apts., Laskin Road, is handling arrangements. A funeral with full military honors will be held Sunday in Beckley, W.Va. In lieu of flowers, donations can be made to The Naval Special Warfare Foundation.
Old 9 July 2005, 07:56

GodSpeed
Old 9 July 2005, 11:54
Callsign: Turkey Bacon

thanks for posting that T86

Amazing Grace.

RIP

t86: As far as you know, will PO2 James Suh's funeral service be held in Calif? I'd like to pay my respects if not too late..

http://starbulletin.com/2005/07/04/news/story4.html

(..."A funeral service for Suh will be held at the Forest Lawn Mortuary and Cemetery in Hollywood Hills, Calif. Details are pending."...)
Old 9 July 2005, 13:58

RIP, and thank you for your service.

Godspeed.
Old 9 July 2005, 14:20

RIP
Old 10 July 2005, 12:22
Fan ar an gcosán

God Bless him and his family
Old 10 July 2005, 13:03
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

RIP....
Old 10 July 2005, 17:30
Sparky
Visitor

Jeff's family lives not far from me...I understand they're expecting close to 500 people to attend a service here. Pretty amazing when you consider there aren't many more than that here in Coal City.

Small town = everyone knew him/his family.

RIP, Jeff. Thanks for your sacrifice.

Our new posting rules