SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Psyop/Civil Affairs

Old 26 August 2005, 23:17
Confirmed User

The Future of PSYOP???

This seems to be a daily discussion within PSYOP so I wanted to open up a can of worms for everyone’s input.

What are everyone’s thoughts on where PSYOP is currently, where we need to go, and how we will get there??

More discipline??
Back to basics soldiering skills??
A new PSYOP Command with our own 2 Star Billet??
Stronger NCO's/Leaders??
More cultural training???
Cutting out the red tape of the approval process??

Thoughts??

PR
Old 27 August 2005, 17:42
Confirmed User

Psyops compass points...

More discipline??
Back to basics soldiering skills??
A new PSYOP Command with our own 2 Star Billet??
Stronger NCO's/Leaders??
More cultural training???
Cutting out the red tape of the approval process??

First off, a few qualifiers...

I'm not in Psyops, nor do i hold a MOS in that career field, so my opinions are just that, opinions and thoughts...

I would think that the future of Psyops is rooted in the transition of the Army from a Divisional organization to the proposed "self contained brigade structure" concept being floated around.

The insurgent issues in Iraq and Afghanistan are, IMHO, are reinforcing lessons already learned, but sadly forgotten, in Vietnam and other locales about how critical popular support is, and how little effort it takes to sway the populace. This makes the Psyops field an invaluable asset to field commanders AFTER organized military resitance is finished, and humanitarian assitance begins.

The first two items, discipline, and basic soldier skills should be self evident. The Armed Forces, ever slow to change due to bureacratic inertia, are still geared towards a force structure and training philosophy involving large scale organized (read Cold War era, and possiblr China) oppositions. neglected by the wayside for those units are the individual soldier skills that many commanders see as problematic due to other commitments, lack of training dollars, etc. Why the f*%k was the 101st sent to put out forest fires? I suppose one could say it was a good "conditioning drill" for chaos management in small unit tactics, but I think more time should have been spent in MOUT training, etc.

A MG Psyop command is probably a good thing, especially if the career field is slated to grow. But as after any prolonged conflict, I would expect an immediate politicaly motivated drawdown of military spending and staffing. The current crop of Psyops NCO's and company grade's are being hardened and tested in ways no training could compare to, and will be the next conflict's senior leader's. Let's hope they are not consumed by the careerism prevalent in the "corporate" Army, and remeber the lessons they learned while in the mix.

I'm not sure what you mean by "cultural training" other than exposure to an area's cultural bias, ethno-religious issues, etc. I believe each POG is "targeted" on areas of responsibility, and conduct such training to help and assist in the effective production of Psyop materials and messages.

The "red tape" of the approval process may be the hardest to address. Take the recent case of the "Quran abuse" at Gitmo. The smallest of leaflets, the most innocent of messages may be construed wildly out of the intended context, and the entire COC better have a Class I CYA plan in effect. I don't see that shorcutting the approval process, with so many "potentials for disaster" in Psyops products, would be productive in a military culture concerened with the next EER/OER.

Just a few thoughts...

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."

1930's Soviet Army Manual
Old 27 August 2005, 20:04
Confirmed User

SMGCat,

I agree with many of your comments and wisdom. I also believe that PSYOP needs it own branch and two star billet. In Iraq we had a JPOTF commander who was a LTC that was supposed to be on the same level as division commanders and higher. This did not go over well and he wasn't aloud much speaking room at the table with 2-3 Stars.

I believe we also have a long way to go in establishing POG wide SOP's, PSOP's and battalion METL's. As well as standards of a SOF unit. Currently in BNCOC we are talking about how we as NCO's have failed to maintain the standard and it is up to us to raise the standards back up. We have E6's and E7's that do not know the TLP's, the MDMP and basics like METT -TC, OCOKA, etc.

As far as cultural awareness I mean keeping up with our language training and furthering our cultural training for each AOR. We had many PSYOP officers in Iraq that did not speak Arabic and were not culturally trained on the Middle East and Muslim nations. This caused many problems with product approval and "Why is this worded this way" questions.

(This section edited per request from higher)

There is many positive and negatives in PSYOP currently. I am hoping that us future senior leaders can make the necessary changes to move this MOS forward.

PR

Last edited by psyopranger; 28 August 2005 at 09:06.
Old 28 August 2005, 03:41

Out of curiosity, what kind of tangible difference exists after PSYOP teams have worked in a certain area for a period of time? I'm aware of the success of PSYOP measures with standing armies, i.e. leaflets with instructions on how to surrender safely, that kinda thing. But does it have a discernable impact on the current type of war being fought?
Old 28 August 2005, 09:01
Confirmed User

Lukef360,

That falls under what we call MOE (Measures of Effectiveness) In post conflict and stabilization or FID/UW Operations, which is what is happening in Iraq and Afghanistan, we can see a difference.

We design messages based on not supporting the insurgency, turning in insurgents, IED and attacks that are stopped before they happen, etc.

The US Embassy in Iraq has a PSYOP MIST team; they are working the www.rewardsforjustice.net program
and have an excellent tracking system as to how many tips they have been given, how many insurgents arrested from those tips and how many actual car bombs/Attacks have been stopped because of this PSYOP program.

This is just one example.

PR

Last edited by psyopranger; 28 August 2005 at 09:07.
Old 28 August 2005, 09:03
One jump chump

Measures of effectiveness.

“An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.”
Old 28 August 2005, 09:09
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorak28
Measures of effectiveness.
Someday I will make a hell of an NCO when I know what the hell I am talking about!!!!!!!!!!
Old 28 August 2005, 09:12
One jump chump

Old 28 August 2005, 12:27

Psyop still isnt There...

I am an ATL for a team in OIF, so i have seen first hand what psyop needs to do, and can do, from my perspective which is at the lowest level. First off there is something we need to do to better inform the rest of the army what exactly our job is and how they are to utilize us...we are PASSIVE intel, not THT teams, not SF doing FID and certainly not CA! We have fought and fought to try and be a part of the mission planning process so we arent stuck on missions that arent psyops missions, mind you, you can make any mission a positive thing by getting intel but it wastes the time to do more productive things. Also before it was required to be an O-3 to become a psyop officer, now they are allowing O-1s, and they are lacking here in OIF, they dont know what they are doing and it is putting immense pressure on our team leaders and NCOIC to pick up the remains. I wholeheartily agree with more cultural training, we were given none in our mobilization. Well thats my take on it at this point, i am sure there is a lot more that could be done, but there have been some pros in the last few years. We have gotten much better weapons, equipment and vehicles and we are becoming much more popular with the Big Army even if they dont use us correctly they at least want us there.
Old 28 August 2005, 12:58
Amateur Barbarian

O1 are only eligible to be 37A in the reserve, on the active side you must be O3 and have gone through your basic and advanced courses before entering the pipeline. The PSYOP branch when it comes on line FY07 will be the same criteria.
The first PSYOP mission is always to the supported unit, and it must be hit hard and constantly reinforced through professionalism, hard work, and tangible results. Everybody thinks they can run a PSYOP program, how hard can it be, run around with a bullhorn and tell people what to do. "I took a radio/tv course in college, Ill be the PSYOP officer." You have to let them know in the planning phase that you are the only guys who can and should do anything PSYOP.
Having our own two star will help in the echelons above reality because only the very rare O5 JPOTF CDR will have the expertise and the cojones to go toe to toe with those Combatant Command J3s or their staff to be the sole voice of PSYOP to the big boss.
Old 28 August 2005, 13:14
Old and Broke

[QUOTE=Having our own two star will help in the echelons above reality because only the very rare O5 JPOTF CDR will have the expertise and the cojones to go toe to toe with those Combatant Command J3s or their staff to be the sole voice of PSYOP to the big boss.[/QUOTE]

Is LTC the highest horsepower you guys can muster at this time? I would think you'd have a couple COL's around who could deploy? or have they already done their time, so your tagging Dep Cdr's as the JPOTF Cdr?

Also remember a MG Psyop Cdr will introduce his/her own administrative crap, inorder to leave their mark (gotta justify that Legion of Merit or Distinguished Service Medal).
Old 28 August 2005, 16:31
Amateur Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSC Guy
Is LTC the highest horsepower you guys can muster at this time? I would think you'd have a couple COL's around who could deploy? or have they already done their time, so your tagging Dep Cdr's as the JPOTF Cdr?

Also remember a MG Psyop Cdr will introduce his/her own administrative crap, inorder to leave their mark (gotta justify that Legion of Merit or Distinguished Service Medal).
Our Group CDR is a full bird, and we have a few spares running around in case of emergency
The JPOTF CDR comes from the regional unit that has area responsibility normally. Since his guys are the SME on the overall PSYOP program, its kind of his show.
Old 28 August 2005, 17:15
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DROB
Our Group CDR is a full bird, and we have a few spares running around in case of emergency
The JPOTF CDR comes from the regional unit that has area responsibility normally. Since his guys are the SME on the overall PSYOP program, its kind of his show.
Hate to say it, but it is a self inflicted wound. I understand the BN CDR is the theater expert, but there is no reason he/she can't be the Deputy JPOTF Cdr. Put the Col in as the Cdr, and rely on the staff. Those Eagles carry a huge amount of weight.

Having a MG in charge won't change shit if the Col's don't get out of the admin role, and into the game.
Old 28 August 2005, 17:29
One jump chump

Quote:
Hate to say it, but it is a self inflicted wound. I understand the BN CDR is the theater expert, but there is no reason he/she can't be the Deputy JPOTF Cdr. Put the Col in as the Cdr, and rely on the staff. Those Eagles carry a huge amount of weight.

Having a MG in charge won't change shit if the Col's don't get out of the admin role, and into the game.
Concur!

Old 28 August 2005, 19:24
Confirmed User

Just a quick thought, since Psyops is becoming a large topic and there are several threads dedicated to those topics, couls I suggest to one of the administrators to consider placing a Psyops topic on the topics page under Army topics?

To try and better consolidate issues...

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."

1930's Soviet Army Manual
Old 28 August 2005, 20:06
Walk the plank

How will PSYCOM justify a 2 star billet with 0-6 commanders? I can see 1 star but two doesnt seem to make sense with the current organization
Old 29 August 2005, 06:01
Amateur Barbarian

Quote:

Oh I am with you brother! A few years ago we had an O5 JPOTF CDR who was THE voice of PSYOP to Gen Franks and his crew. That man knew his shit and he was in the inner circle with the big boss. We have to get back to that paradigm, "you want PSYOP go see XXXXXX, hes the man and he runs the PSYOP show". Things have gotten weird with our confusing relationship with IO.
Old 29 August 2005, 06:14
One jump chump

IO=Facilitator and does not second guess, approve shit, etc. PSYOP answers to supported CDR.

Someone needs to tell IO to start reading.

Old 29 August 2005, 06:53
Amateur Barbarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtorak28
IO=Facilitator and does not second guess, approve shit, etc. PSYOP answers to supported CDR.

Someone needs to tell IO to start reading.
Amen.
Old 29 August 2005, 13:44

Thats the truth, the IO here pisses us off constantly with stupid ass missions...its a constant battle for team leaders...the things these guys come up with never ceases to amaze me.

Our new posting rules