SOCNET

Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > U.S. Army Special Operations > Special Forces

Old 1 February 2006, 19:39
GODLIKE CREATURE AMONG MEN

Lawsuit in SC?

Maybe interesting read for you guys!

Good Day

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Green Beret suit ends in draw
Jury decides neither side defamed the other in legal fight over book

BY SCHUYLER KROPF
The Post and Courier

A $700,000 defamation lawsuit over a book that says U.S. Green Berets illegally fired into neutral Cambodia in 1966 and nearly committed mutiny during the Vietnam War ended in a draw Monday.

A jury of four men and four women ruled that neither side in the legal fight over the book "Expendable Elite" defamed the other.

The book's author claimed victory for the truth, while lawyers for the Green Berets said their fight might not be over.

After deliberating for 2 1/2 hours, a jury at the U.S. District Courthouse in Charleston said the seven Green Berets who sued retired Green Beret Lt. Col. Daniel Marvin over his portrayal of their actions failed to prove that his written words defamed them.

In tandem, the jury said Marvin failed to prove his claim the ex-soldiers defamed him when they made public statements that his book is "100 percent lies."

Both sides had different interpretations of the outcome.

"This is a big victory for these guys," said Chris Ogiba, lawyer for Marvin and his publisher, Trine Day Press, which also was found not liable.

Marvin said the verdict vindicated his story that Americans were fighting in Cambodia early in the war, that the Green Berets were poised to help assassinate Cambodian Prince Norodum Sihanouk, and were ready to fire on friendly forces rather than surrender a base and put a tribe of allied Vietnamese natives into jeopardy.

"I'm glad to see the victory of truth over evil," Marvin said through tears.

Charleston lawyer David Collins said Marvin's claims remain in doubt because the jury didn't rule whether his book was true, only on whether the seven ex-Green Berets were defamed.

During his closing argument, Collins said Marvin's account doesn't mesh with the historical record, and that the area around An Phu was mostly quiet and peaceful in 1966. He called Marvin the "Walter Mitty of Vietnam" because, as a quartermaster in charge of supply and logistics, he never would have been exposed to such daring military actions, Collins said.

Like the fictional character Mitty - a henpecked husband with extravagant daydreams- "everything he (Marvin) saw in day-to-day life was blown totally out of proportion," Collins said.

Marvin published his story in 2003, saying it detailed how covert operations are "masked to permit, even sponsor, assassination, outright purposeful killing of innocents, illegal use of force and bizarre methods in combat operations."

One of the claims in the 362-page book was that Green Berets were willing to disobey an order to withdraw from An Phu after the brass ordered the camp closed. Leaving would have endangered the anti-communist Buddhist sect known as the Hoa Hoas, Marvin claimed.

Marvin retired from the Army in 1973. He said he was driven to write the book after becoming a born-again Christian in 1984.

The soldiers, all of whom served with Marvin, said the book is "false, libelous, defamatory, embarrassing and humiliating."

If Marvin's mutiny story is true, they contend it would have violated the Uniform Code of Military Justice and international law, and could have been punishable by death.

They were seeking a minimum of $700,000 in damages.

Their lawyers said an appeal is a possibility.

Contact Schuyler Kropf at 937-5551 or skropf@postandcourier.com.
Old 2 February 2006, 09:15
Whatever Sucks the Most

Quote:
Marvin published his story in 2003, saying it detailed how covert operations are "masked to permit, even sponsor, assassination, outright purposeful killing of innocents, illegal use of force and bizarre methods in combat operations."
Sounds like he got into the whacky kool-aid to me.
Old 2 February 2006, 09:55
Old and Broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9533
He called Marvin the "Walter Mitty of Vietnam" because, as a quartermaster in charge of supply and logistics, he never would have been exposed to such daring military actions, Collins said.

Like the fictional character Mitty - a henpecked husband with extravagant daydreams- "everything he (Marvin) saw in day-to-day life was blown totally out of proportion," Collins said.

Marvin retired from the Army in 1973. He said he was driven to write the book after becoming a born-again Christian in 1984.

Another supply guy going off the deep end, then he becomes "Born Again" and has to tell wild stories to his other "Born Again" loser friends.
Old 2 February 2006, 10:57
Greenhat
Visitor

Quote:
as a quartermaster in charge of supply and logistics,
What is it with S4s?
Old 2 February 2006, 11:30
Authorized Personnel

This is the same guy who claims to have been approached by the CIA to eliminate witnesses to the JFK assassination.
Old 2 February 2006, 12:17
Whatever Sucks the Most

That was me.

:)
Old 2 February 2006, 13:54
Ranger002
Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician
That was me.

:)

Liar...:) It was me. I was secretly taken from my parents at age 3 and trained by Ninja's However I once I learned teleportation from the Ninjas I made my way into Chuck Norris's Dojo and he deprogrammed me...

William Hazen
Old 23 February 2006, 14:01
Confirmed User

Dan Marvin down the road

Found this in my local paper today -- hope we don't share the same water-source:

Conspiracies swirl around one home in Cazenovia

Victor in libel suit about his Vietnam book has a knack for hard-to-disprove stories.

Thursday, February 23, 2006 By Robert A. Baker
Staff writer

Dan Marvin, of Cazenovia, says he knows who shot John F. Kennedy and even gets Christmas cards from the man, a convicted felon in Illinois. Marvin says he knows the government was 70 percent responsible in the assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.

He says the Boston Mafia recruited him as an assassin - a job he refused. And during the Vietnam War, he says, the CIA ordered him to kill the crown prince of Cambodia.

A visit to Marvin reveals a grandfatherly man who putters around the cozy furniture shop behind his Cazenovia farmhouse and talks in a soft-spoken way about his Christian faith.

But the 72-year-old tells the kind of war stories your grandfather probably couldn't match. He claims to have been a trained government assassin. He admits it sounds strange. But so far, no one has proved him wrong.

Marvin's biggest truth test came in January when, at a federal libel trial, he had to defend his book detailing his Vietnam experiences. Published by TrineDay after 120 other publishers turned him down, "The Expendable Elite" is Marvin's account of the plot against Cambodian Prince Norodom Sihanouk and the U.S. government's retaliation when Marvin refused to kill him.

Seven men Marvin served with in Vietnam took him and TrineDay to federal court in South Carolina, claiming the book contains false, libelous, defamatory, embarrassing and humiliating accusations about them. The jury found Marvin did not libel the veterans, and Marvin declared victory on www.expendableelite.com.

He said the verdict proves events in the book are true. The jury, though, didn't rule on the truthfulness of the book, simply that veterans failed to prove libel.

"We weren't going against seven men, we were going against the Special Forces Association," Marvin said. Special Forces, which include elite troops like the Green Berets and Army Rangers, threatened TrineDay, turned former comrades against him and bankrolled the veterans' lawsuit, Marvin said.

Marvin says he remains loyal to the seven men who served with him, even if they have not remained loyal to him. He thinks larger forces turned the men against him.

That's a common theme with Marvin, said Allan Eaglesham, a freelance editor from Ithaca who worked on a proposed book with Marvin a few years ago about CIA assassination contracts on private citizens. The centerpiece of the book, Marvin said, would have been his recruitment by the CIA to kill a Navy officer who had a film of Kennedy's autopsy proving the CIA's involvement.

As the book fell apart, the friendship did, too, Eaglesham said. "The stories change and (Marvin's) objective is not to get to the truth," Eaglesham said. "His objective is to be in the limelight."

Marvin thinks Eaglesham changed his view because he was threatened by someone. "I've never been contacted by anybody," Eaglesham said. "I've never been threatened by anybody."

Kris Millegan, who owns TrineDay, believes Marvin's stories. Millegan's father was in the CIA, so the details in Marvin's book ring true to him. "I knew all the players and how covert operations work," Millegan said.

Marvin's Cazenovia house is the 50th home he and his wife have lived in since their marriage. They previously lived in the Ithaca area. Marvin likes Cazenovia, he said, because "it's a village that respects the truth. It's patriotic, but not led by the nose."

"I think this whole village was praying for me at the trial," he said. Cazenovia resident Donald Krueger got to know Marvin while writing several columns about him in the Cazenovia Republican. "I was suspicious of Marvin's story, but that has changed. I am a natural-born pessimist and cynic, and I think he's telling the truth," said Krueger, a retired art professor. "Given what people say about him and what he said in his writing, I think he's telling the truth. God wouldn't let him lie."

Marvin was born in Detroit and grew up in Chicago. He joined the Army in 1952 and is a veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars. Marvin volunteered for the Green Berets on the day Kennedy was assassinated. Marvin was a fan of Kennedy, so it was an eye-opener three months later when he said he heard his CIA teachers coldly discuss the president's death. He says he heard an instructor say: "Things went pretty well in Dallas, didn't they?"

Marvin thinks the government probably would prefer him dead, but since being "born again" in 1984, he doesn't worry about that. His training also makes him feel secure.

"It all sounds very bizarre," Marvin said. "I know it."

Robert A. Baker can be reached at bbaker@syracuse.com or 470-3255.

© 2006 The Post-Standard. Used with permission.

Copyright 2006 syracuse.com. All Rights Reserved.

Last edited by O'DubhGhaill; 23 February 2006 at 14:09.
Old 23 February 2006, 14:24
I'm Ron Burgundy?

From the bookcover:

“Dan, if you take this command and accept this TOP SECRET mission, you will be on your own. When you leave this room, it will be as if we never met. We can’t and won’t stand behind you if you are caught doing what I am about to tell you to do. Got it, Captain?”

"We want you to take care of it, 'Dangerous,' because we believe you can get the job done.
We've been asked to terminate Prince Sihanouk.
Your job will be to bring about his death and make it appear to have been done by the VC.

The mission was from the "Highest Authority."
They wanted him to kill the Crown Prince of Cambodia.
He accepted the mission but demanded an end to the enemy's safe havens just across the border and inside Cambodia.
The "Company" man said, "People like you don't make demands of the CIA"

Looks like quality reading to me:D
Old 28 February 2006, 23:53
Confirmed User

Where was Phil Town during all this?

"Do not touch anything unnecessarily. Beware of pretty girls in dance halls and parks who may be spies, as well as bicycles, revolvers, uniforms, arms, dead horses, and men lying on roads -- they are not there accidentally."

1930's Soviet Army Manual
Old 1 March 2006, 00:25
BTDT

He sounds like an opportunistic fucking blowhard!

I certainly spent time in cambodia, but not on any secret squirrel "Top Secret mission"!

He is full of shit!

Terry
Old 1 March 2006, 10:19
Confirmed User

Which one of the Five was he?

His story reads as if he was one of the Five Fingers, which I thought was a highly motivating yarn, albeit a fiction-piece nonetheless.
Old 1 March 2006, 10:26
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'DubhGhaill
....albeit a fiction-piece nonetheless.
Wait a 'sec. Are you saying "The Five Fingers" was not a true story?!?!

:D
Old 1 March 2006, 14:26
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOTB
Wait a 'sec. Are you saying "The Five Fingers" was not a true story?!?!

:D

Oh yeah, that's right, it was an actual account (is that Dan Marvin on the far left?) -- I swear I did not intend to revive the Gayle Rivers debate by mentioning it though! That book was one of the most highly motivating, hard-core spec-op stories I ever read at the time back then in high school just before I signed up -- hell, I kept a copy of it with me through ITS and all that followed! I never once thought the story was anything but a work of fiction until I read much later that the author, "Gayle Rivers," was purporting it to be a first-hand true account -- it really matters not to me, I enjoy reading it from time to time to this day and am still anxiously awaiting the sequel.
Old 1 March 2006, 15:48
Minus one, but more symmetrical....

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'DubhGhaill
....I kept a copy of it with me through ITS and all that followed!
HAHAHAHA No shit. I picked up a copy -- I don't remember how -- while at Camp Pendelton for a day while we were transiting to OKI from ITS (LeJeune). I read it on the plane over, and while in OKI from time to time as well. To a 17 Y/O it seemed like a really cool story....
Old 1 March 2006, 18:03
Whatever Sucks the Most

I thought that the sequel was released?
Old 1 March 2006, 20:08
Confirmed User

Quote:
Originally Posted by magician
I thought that the sequel was released?
If it was, I definitely missed it, but would love to read it, seriously.

Our new posting rules