Go Back   SOCNET: The Special Operations Community Network > Areas of Expertise > Explosive Ordnance Disposal

Old 16 March 2009, 15:51
Administrator

Well this is not good

EOD Group 2 commander fired

By Andrew Scutro - Staff writer
Posted : Sunday Mar 15, 2009 10:30:09 EDT
The commander of Explosives Ordnance Disposal Group 2 was fired Friday for “loss of confidence in [his] ability to command,” according to a Navy news release.
Capt. Thomas Sitsch was dismissed by Rear Adm. Carol Pottenger, commander of Navy Expeditionary Combat Command, the release said.
“It was personal in nature,” said Lt. Cmdr. Susan Henson, spokeswoman for NECC. “It was not due to any operational problem with EOD Group 2.”
Henson would not provide further details about events leading up to his dismissal.
“He is not facing any charges of wrongdoing or criminal action under the [Uniform Code of Military Justice] at this time,” she said.
EOD Group 2, based at Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, oversees three East Coast-based mobile units, a mobile unit based in Italy, Training and Evaluation Unit 2, Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit 2, and two support units. There are 950 active-duty enlisted and 140 active-duty officers assigned to EOD Group 2.
Sitsch had been commander since July 2008, and he previously served as deputy commander of Combined Joint Task Force Troy, which was set up to counter the improvised explosive device threat in Iraq.
Cmdr. Leonard Lyon, the group’s chief staff officer, was named as temporary commander.
Old 16 March 2009, 16:16
anthony.rose
Visitor

Yeah, that is rough, I saw that on the Navy Times website a week or two ago. The EOD CDR I work for says he knew him but didn't know what the circumstances were. I wouldn't want my name all over the place over something like that. I think its actually worse that they don't say what he did because now your imagination takes over....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post

EOD Group 2 commander fired

By Andrew Scutro - Staff writer
Posted : Sunday Mar 15, 2009 10:30:09 EDT
The commander of Explosives Ordnance Disposal Group 2 was fired Friday for “loss of confidence in [his] ability to command,” according to a Navy news release.
Capt. Thomas Sitsch was dismissed by Rear Adm. Carol Pottenger, commander of Navy Expeditionary Combat Command, the release said.
“It was personal in nature,” said Lt. Cmdr. Susan Henson, spokeswoman for NECC. “It was not due to any operational problem with EOD Group 2.”
Henson would not provide further details about events leading up to his dismissal.
“He is not facing any charges of wrongdoing or criminal action under the [Uniform Code of Military Justice] at this time,” she said.
EOD Group 2, based at Naval Amphibious Base Little Creek, oversees three East Coast-based mobile units, a mobile unit based in Italy, Training and Evaluation Unit 2, Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit 2, and two support units. There are 950 active-duty enlisted and 140 active-duty officers assigned to EOD Group 2.
Sitsch had been commander since July 2008, and he previously served as deputy commander of Combined Joint Task Force Troy, which was set up to counter the improvised explosive device threat in Iraq.
Cmdr. Leonard Lyon, the group’s chief staff officer, was named as temporary commander.
Old 16 March 2009, 16:59
Administrator

Definitely reads like he had a zipper faux pas or something similar. Shitty way to end a career anyway.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 17 March 2009, 05:15
EOD Mod

It wasn't. The story will come out shortly, but unfortunately we still won't have the answers.
Old 17 March 2009, 14:54
anthony.rose
Visitor

JW, sounds like you know something. I hope it wasn't anything too serious (National Security issues).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw View Post
It wasn't. The story will come out shortly, but unfortunately we still won't have the answers.
Old 17 March 2009, 17:53
BT,WBTWC

Why does suspicion always center on sex?

Maybe the man was just plain old fashioned incompetent.
Old 17 March 2009, 19:37
Old and Broke

Maybe he just pissed his boss off, and she fired him because she could?
Old 17 March 2009, 22:39
Arrrrr!

Quote:
JW,

I am still wondering WTF?!? I asked your former boss about it and we both went WTF?!?
Old 17 March 2009, 23:38
Confirmed User

I read a bit about what happened on another board, but the info was later deleted because it was not public.

No zippers involved.

Last edited by bubblehead; 17 March 2009 at 23:40.
Old 17 March 2009, 23:47
BT,WBTWC

Maybe he said she looked like a dork ...

http://www.nassco.com/usn_dac/tk_gallery/tkgall_3_2.html
Old 19 March 2009, 11:22

Makes no Difference

A new Commodore will take over and Navy EOD will carry on.
Old 20 March 2009, 08:25
EOD Mod

It was personal in nature. If you know the man, you definately ask WTF.
Old 21 March 2009, 13:16

Tom is a good friend of mine and many others. He is a great teammate and operator. He had 30+ years of honorable service. Decorated for valor several times. Always cared for his enlisteds and junior officers. 10+ years as enlisted rising to the rank of Chief before he earned his bachelor's and applied for a commission. There was no sexual hanky-panky or incompetency involved. There is much speculation by those that do not know. There are health issues involved which affected a judgement he made. He is being evaluated as we speak. Could be PTSD, we don't know yet.
Old 21 March 2009, 13:20
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
Maybe the man was just plain old fashioned incompetent.
I worked with him in Iraq and that explanation does not hold water; he was VERY squared away.

“it's not a good idea to allow an unknown enemy force to attack your compound. Ever, really.” -MixedLoad

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." -HST
Old 21 March 2009, 13:23

right on, Jimbo.
Old 21 March 2009, 13:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by EODFPJ View Post
Tom is a good friend of mine and many others. He is a great teammate and operator. He had 30+ years of honorable service. Decorated for valor several times. Always cared for his enlisteds and junior officers. 10+ years as enlisted rising to the rank of Chief before he earned his bachelor's and applied for a commission. There was no sexual hanky-panky or incompetency involved. There is much speculation by those that do not know. There are health issues involved which affected a judgement he made. He is being evaluated as we speak. Could be PTSD, we don't know yet.

Good to hear.
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate
I am the captain of my soul.
-Invictus
Old 22 March 2009, 10:59
EOD Mod

Quote:
That about sums it up. Thanks for speaking to the matter directly.
Old 22 March 2009, 20:19
Confirmed Asshole

Good luck Capt. Sitsch, your service cannot be diminished.

"Give it a few years, guys will be back to shaving their goddamned taints again." MakoZeroSix
Old 23 March 2009, 09:45
Wrapped in the comfort of dark waters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
I worked with him in Iraq and that explanation does not hold water; he was VERY squared away.
Jimbo,
I was about the same the same thing. I knew the name sounded familiar. I remember getting my "spy vs. spy" from him. yeah WTF over!
Old 24 March 2009, 08:15
Confirmed User

Quote:
That about sums it up. Thanks for speaking to the matter directly.
Quote:
I was Army and never had the privilege of working with the good Captain, but I know from personal experience about getting cross-threaded with people because of health issues. In my case, I also had the misfortune of coming up for my BI update and - as in this case - people fell all over themselves with gossip and innuendo about me. Two years later, I was caught in the '75 RIF and didn't fight it because I had been smeared too badly (I was a smartarse young O-3).

I wish him well...

Our new posting rules